Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bonding and big problem

• 16-09-2008 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭

A relative asked me to do a little snag list for her 2 bed app out near saggart
    I didn't find a huge list of problems.
    1:2 way in the hall is done ass ways as its turning on the toilet light also
    2 : outside light not working

but the serious stuff I found was in the hotpress, only 1 bonding clip on a pipe with the 10 square earth stripped back but not terminated, my standard of work would have me using between 5 & 7 bonding clips.
    The kitchen sink and pipes not bonded, I'm used to coming of the socket with 2.5 earth on to 2 bonding straps and then connect on to sink.
    and finally they looped off the main gas pipe in the boiler for the earth rod (obviously saving on cable). I'm used to 3 seperate 10 squares from the fuse board 1 to the hot press, 1 to the earth rod and 1 to the gas.
    My question is am I going overboard with the last problem of looping off the gas to the earth rod?
    as I'm strongly thinking of getting on to reci as I think the hotpress and sink problems are to big to let go as keys have been handed over weeks ago and they've been connected to the esb for same period.
    Now the reason I want to make this call is that my relative is only 1 app out of about a 100,so how many more app have been left poorly bonded or not at all, so what you guys think am I over reacting?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

at the sink you bond the metal sink and hot and cold (if incoming copper) to the nearest socket earth.the hot press depends ,you don't have to do main bonding for little bits of copper if the incoming pipes are all plastic . the rod and the main bonding for gas should be seperate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Cheers for the reply, hotpress is all copper.
    I've decided to say it to the builder as maybe the reci route is a bit of an over reaction, so at least saying it to the builder my conscience is clear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Woddle wrote: »
    so what you guys think am I over reacting?

No not at all these are IMO shortcuts that should not be taken, any of the quality authorities/councils/consultant engineers involved in projects will/should pick these things up, I guess people just take a chance and the ratio of

Getting caught + fixing it -VS- Taking the same shortcuts all the time.

works out in their favor. I've seen these problems from an array of different sources, and it's up to the contractors quality system to identify, enforce and reduce them to an absolute minimum, IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Woddle wrote: »
    Cheers for the reply, hotpress is all copper.
    I've decided to say it to the builder as maybe the reci route is a bit of an over reaction, so at least saying it to the builder my conscience is clear

I think in these cases, it's always a good option to give someone the chance to address the issue first.

Advertisement