Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Isopads,mopads,blutac etc.?

Options
  • 16-09-2008 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Taking a break from "are the Blizzards sh1te or not" debates back to sound issues, does any body have any opinions on isopads, mopads etc? Is this speaker isolating/damping foam better than blutac and the Yellow pages in an aural sense and not just a cosmetic accessory to pimp the studio.

I have always used blutac to stop my speakers falling off the back of an SSL or their Atacama stands, i've never had the time to analyse whether they improved the sound or not. any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Anything that isolates the speakers from the desk is a good idea. I have the mo-pads. Handy cause they point the speakers down a little 'and my stands are quite tall. Usually I go for the phone book thing, they make any speakers sound better IMO, even guitar amps. Must try it on with a bass amp this weekend...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

tweeky wrote: »
    Taking a break from "are the Blizzards sh1te or not" debates back to sound issues, does any body have any opinions on isopads, mopads etc? Is this speaker isolating/damping foam better than blutac and the Yellow pages in an aural sense and not just a cosmetic accessory to pimp the studio.

I have always used blutac to stop my speakers falling off the back of an SSL or their Atacama stands, i've never had the time to analyse whether they improved the sound or not. any thoughts?

I have 2 views on it!

1. By isolating (some of) the vibration from your speakers of from your console you clean up the low end, by not having your furniture 'retransmit' the sound back into the room. Foam is the thing for that.

2. The other idea is that a speaker should be absolutely rigid and 'still' in order to reproduce the low end correctly - imagine the speaker is pushing out on a note but the cabinet is being pushed back by the same force, therefore distorting the bass waveform. So soft ole foam isn't really the thing for that.

With regard to NS10s, it's generally agreed that they work best when coupled directly to a console or similar structure. (this has been well discussed around here and recent articles in Resolution and SOS)
    As they were designed as bookshelf speakers that does make sense.

So, to synopsize, I dunno ....

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭tweeky

Are these non slip ie.will NS10's slide on them?.
    The blutac coupled them to my sand filled stands and didn't move at all, so will they be as stable on mopads/isopads?

tweeky wrote: »
    Are these non slip ie.will NS10's slide on them?.
    The blutac coupled them to my sand filled stands and didn't move at all, so will they be as stable on mopads/isopads?

The weight of the speakers is enough to make an 'imprint' in the foam so they don't slip.
    Another issue on taller heavier speakers, say your Proacs, is if the centre of gravity is towards the front (and it often can be in speakers) they may tilt forward.
    This is not, in itself, the end of the world - though may make the search for symmetry difficult.

I'll drop a pair in if you'd like to try them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    The weight of the speakers is enough to make an 'imprint' in the foam so they don't slip.
    Another issue on taller heavier speakers, say your Proacs, is if the centre of gravity is towards the front (and it often can be in speakers) they may tilt forward.
    This is not, in itself, the end of the world - though may make the search for symmetry difficult.

I'll drop a pair in if you'd like to try them?

How much for the pair please Paul? Sorry the ns 10's, can you get them?

• Advertisement

dav nagle wrote: »
    How much for the pair please Paul? Sorry the ns 10's, can you get them?

Not new ones I'm afraid.

Around Euro 350/400 on Ebay. A set of replacement drivers will be a few hundred, I can get them ok.

Advertisement