Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom engineer in Clare

Options
  • 16-09-2008 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭

Does any one know of a eircom engineer within clare, as I need some one to fix my line so I can get broadband. Failing that I will be going to B+Q and getting a nice chainsaw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RandomPerson13

Its been 4 days with no replys.... i bet you don't have the balls to get you chainsaw... all talk no action!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Its been 4 days with no replys.... i bet you don't have the balls to get you chainsaw... all talk no action!
    Now, that wasn't particularly helpful, was it?

anthony4335, I am from Clare myself, but living in Kerry now. I don't know any engineers personally, but you could always camp outside your exchange hoping an engineer will drop by. :pac:

Failing that, why not give Eircom a call (not from your own landline), tell them you have no phone service. Just tell them there's no dial tone, and there has not been one for days. Say you've looked at your internal wiring, and you think everything is connected as it should be. :eek:

Hopefully then they will send out an engineer. You will probably be liable for the cost, but at least you can plead your case to the engineer. If you're desperate, it's worth a shot. But, there's no guarantees the engineer will try to help you, and even if he does, there's no guarantees that he will be able to fix the problem on your line. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

You are right I don't have the balls, not yet at least. I am going to trace the line as it does not appear to be comming off the main line, so I think that the line may be a carrier, which would explain things. I am also going to try and locate the exchange and see how far it is. If this does appear to be the case I might just ask them to install a new line, and demand it not be a carrier, and pay the cost, but I do like DECEiFER's suggestion and I might just give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

You might get more help if you mentioned what part of Clare you're living in, how far (approximately) you are from your exchange, the current status of your line (failing outright, amber and then failing, or what?), what eircom have said, whether your neighbours can get it, and so on.

Most of the Clare exchanges are covered by Ennis staff (and contractors), but some Limerick and some cover from Galway too (I don't know if that still happens). Getting an engineer (even if you do know him) out to do a job isn't an option. If you know him, you can ask him to look out for your job maybe, but you'd want to know him well.

I think before you start looking for engineer details, you need to establish if it's possible to get DSL on our line at all, were it not to be a carrier line (if it is).

I am on the Tiermaclane exchange (going by the smart website) I am 3 miles from ennis, as for the exchange I have no idea where it is however I intend to go for a walk with the Dog and see if I can find it. I have no idea about Amber etc, just told I could not get it. I rang and they told me it passed, next thing I get a letter saying tough your line does not pass even though I had been told 5 days earlier that it did pass. The could not or would not tell me why it failed, so I have no idea if it is a carrier line or what ever, not even sure what to look for to tell me if it is a carrier line, any help on how to identify one whould be appreciated. Don;t really know my neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I'd ring eircom back and push the issue to see if it's a distance thing, or not.

The Amber programme is basically where your line fails but that eircom think it could be fixed to carry DSL, and will give it a "best effort" go if you commit to ordering DSL. Some have had success, some haven't, and more have been asked what the hell the amber program is, so your milage will definitely vary.

There are 2 indicators of a carrier line (and most have to use that because eircom are relucant to tell you if your line is carrier line or not). The first is slow dialup speeds (sub 28,000bps), and the second is that close neighbours can get it.

If you really want DSL, I'd suggest a trip to 1 or 2 neighbours (aside from the social benefit) would be in order.

Getting an engineer by the scruff of the neck (at this point anyway) will be of no help.

See if this is the exchange: http://url.ie/q6t (Google Maps) and how far you are from there (as the phone lines travel).

cheers for the advice. I will try all these as soon as I am off night. Did not know about the amber light program, good to know. Again thanks a mill. Will advise on how I get on,

• Registered Users Posts: 21 BadCRC

I am on the Tiermaclane exchange (going by the smart website) I am 3 miles from ennis, as for the exchange I have no idea where it is however I intend to go for a walk with the Dog and see if I can find it. I have no idea about Amber etc, just told I could not get it. I rang and they told me it passed, next thing I get a letter saying tough your line does not pass even though I had been told 5 days earlier that it did pass. The could not or would not tell me why it failed, so I have no idea if it is a carrier line or what ever, not even sure what to look for to tell me if it is a carrier line, any help on how to identify one whould be appreciated. Don;t really know my neighbours.

Hi,

Map of Tiermaclane exchange location attached. Remember that the path to your address isn't necessarily a straight line. This should at least give you a better idea of distance.

exchange.JPG

Cheers.

Cheers , that is about 5 KM via the road, direct route. However I am not sure yet if this is the route the line takes, come off nights tomorrow morning so I might go for a walk and follow the line in both directions to check.

Whoo Hoo !!!!!!!!!
    The constant phone calls have paid off and I now have DSL broadband.

• Advertisement
Advertisement