Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NWE broadband for Churchill area

• 16-09-2008 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

enquired about this service two years ago and heard nothing til an email from them today...maybe the pressure group will achieve its aims.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 galwayray

emmemm wrote: »
    enquired about this service two years ago and heard nothing til an email from them today...maybe the pressure group will achieve its aims.
    Can you provide info on who is providing this service, I am moving to Churchill in Dec and need to work from a home office?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Its Northwest Electronics
    http://www.nwewn.com/index.php

From the map it looks like Churchill still isn't covered.
    coveragenew.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

galwayray, NWE have limited coverage in Churchill and if you call them, am sure they will be able to tell you if your area is covered or could be covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

No idea about them regarding answering phone calls but they seem to ignore emails or at least emails that ask why they are 12 months behind with a project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

8 weeks from order to install.

€25pm for 1mb/256k.
    €50pm for 3mb/1mb.

Install €99

Router €149 (€60 on Elara)

IP address €20/30, can't remember, plus €5pm.

Crazy money. They know they are the provider of last resort.

To add to muffler's comments, service generally is poor, not just their responsiveness to email. Ring "support" and you get a receptionist. They are slow to ring back. Recently they lost a large number of Internet and email accounts. Dealt with each person in turn as they rang in, starting with "eh, what's your username and password?" (Ever heard of backups, NWE?)

This might sound harsh but it's my personal experience. If you can get anything else at all, try that first.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the feedback. Are you aware of any alternatives to North West electronics or are they the only one doing wireless. I know satellite broadband is an option as I have used it in the past but it has been expensive and suprisingly slow?

I also heard about a broadband group working in Churchill, are any of you members or do you know anyone on it?

Ray

This may be of some help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

galwayray wrote: »

I also heard about a broadband group working in Churchill, are any of you members or do you know anyone on it?

Ray

Donal Cox is part of that group, he owns Charlie Mcgee Cafe and Beetroot restaurant, all in letterkenny.

I received this bit of info from the Council today which may help
    there was a meeting in Churchill a few weeks ago about sites for masts etc. and NWE reps attended.

But more alarmingly I was also told this:
    The Government have terminated the national Group Broadband scheme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

and we thought it couldn't get any worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

It was all very fine for NWE to come in and talk up what they were going to do, but had the powers that be done their homework they'd have realised this was not really gonna be a reality. Their service has been patchy at best, never mind giving them whatever grants/ backing/ government/ council sanction that was given.

It was heralded as a big development in Donegal... ha, it was quite funny to anyone who knew, but it begs belief that Donegal were pawned off with this instead of state agencies providing the services they are supposed to. Again we still are taxed and subject to the same laws as people in other parts of the country who get their moneys worth.

Good to see the irony of it all though, that even before we talked of recession and back to the eighties, the local authority were going back to their routes and getting things done as well as they did in the last recession, technology may have moved on but Donegal managed to slip back in time without ever leaving the eighties in the first place.....though we did manage to get well funded theatres and monuments that will be good for something, we just don't know what yet.

Looks like I will be going satellite, its the only guaranteed workable solution that I can find and I absolutely need it for work. NWE are not reliable enough, cheers for all the info..

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

That really would be the last straw, as satellite wouldn't be great with very high pings.

EDit: It seems Churchill is on Eircom's to-do list for ADSL, may even be enabled at this stage?

http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_10009671.shtml

on the NBB satellite broadband site under "the Astra Factor":

In the same way as mobile phones used to cost several hundred Euro three years ago but now only cost a few Euro the price of satellite broadband has now dropped dramatically (€13.95 per month. inc. vat) and is now available to everybody.

so how come their packages start at e38.95?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ZombieNation

NWE = last resort.
    Problem is, they currently have the monopoly on rural broadband for Donegal.

They have provided me with a sub-sub-sub standard service since the get-go.
    Receptionists that I have dealt with are less than polite; service is down far too often and without warning or apologies.

Don't even try to email. They don't respond - not to me anyhow.
    Their contact forms on their website - ha! - don't even work. ( That alone should set alarm bells ringing.)

Costs are laughable for the poor service you receive.

Can't wait for an alternative supplier to come on the scene so I can tell this motley crew were to stick their service.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 andyc09lad

creeslough has the same problem,the broadband ends at ards and comes back at termon

the NWE transmitter is on the reservoir above Churchill village.Suits me but I'm waiting three months already.The office say they are waiting for parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Would the Churchill transmitter reach Glenswilly (about 6km)? Is their coverage map outdated? It shows Churchill as not covered.

Doubt it will be much good to Glenswilly unless you can actually see the mast.
    Unsure of the distance these work at too.

Yeah, the map is outdated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

My mother lives out by lough kibbon in churchill, uses an O2 thing that plugs into the usb port works ok, I thinks its just more or less a sim card in a box but better han nothing!

• Advertisement

I have a vodafone one but nothing would be better 6pm to 10 pm cos it's a waste of time then.

Works about the same as dial up at other times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭lovinit

I have the O2 one, and it costs 24euro and then 25euro per month. There is no way I would be able to watch videos but its better than nothing, signal is up and down though, I live in an area which was promised broadband at the start of the year now its put back to may, I was considering that but its a year long contract and what would happen if my town suddenly got broadband, so I just got this one in the o2 store, you just plug it into the usb port and connect up.

spoke to a NWE technician today.He said they are waiting on parts from Israel for months.:(
    Waiting list of about 100 in Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

I have a vodafone one but nothing would be better 6pm to 10 pm cos it's a waste of time then.

Works about the same as dial up at other times.

Exact same with the O2 one I have , have tried the rest and their useless
    As you say between 6-10pm, the amount of times I have felt like putting fist through the screen:mad: to upload a 2min video would take my connection nearly 2 hours:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

Sorry for bringing up an old post. I am wondering has anything changed for broadband availability in Churchill? Did the exchange get enabled as per Byte's post:

http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnews/publis/article_10009671.shtml

Any change in the NWE service ( for the better I mean :) )? It doesn't look like the coverage map has changed.

Try this. There doesnt appear to be a DSL service (cable) but you can enter a local phone number after clicking on the "Phoneline Checker" tab at the top of the page.

Thanks for the link. I'm looking to buy a house in Letterkenny or surrounding areas. I would like to have broadband or at least know that I will have it within reasonable period of time.

I put my existing number in the checker. It failed, but I am using my 4mb broadband connection to post this! :)

3 have applied for PP for a mast at Trentagh which covers a wide area but 3 have a bad reputation:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

3 have applied for PP for a mast at Trentagh which covers a wide area but 3 have a bad reputation:(

3 are implementing the NBS which covers that area. I think they are implementing some sort of 4g network, i.e. unlike the current 3g technology for mobile broadband.

• Advertisement

I was reading that Donegal is excluded from the NBS, at least in the way that it is to be implemented in the rest of the country (i.e., 3). That NWE got that ticket.

Advertisement