Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

App Math- 93 marking scheme?

Options
  • 16-09-2008 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Anyone got this / Know where to find it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

I'm pretty sure there was some point before which the department didn't publish marking schemes. I think it might've been some year in the 90's. So there mightn't even be any teachers with, and it certainly can't be found on the net. Although this information is coming from a very vague memory of a post on boards which could have been a load of bull****...

I take it you don't care about the actual marks given and whatnot and just want the solution? You could post the questions you need solutions of and someone here'd be happy to help you out I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Oh theres marking schemes to the very beginning, I have as far as 1980 in the filing cabinet in school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 grimreaper1001

I'll post it up tomorrow. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

A bit of History,
    Marking Schemes were only made available to teachers and schools in 1995. Before this only the examiners had a copy of the marking schemes and of course anybody who had a photocopy of the examiners' ones. To compensate for the lack of solution availablity many third parties published full solutions for subjects like maths, app maths and physics.

If you're looking for help on a particular question post it up here and we'll sort you out.

2003 Q3 HL
    {a} A particle is projected on a horizontal plane with initial velocity u at an angle beta to the horizontal. If the range of the projectile is three times the greatest height, prove that tan beta = 4/3

{b} A particle is projected up an inclined plane with initial speed u. The line of projection makes an angle of 30degrees with the plane and the plane is inclined 30degrees to the horizontal. (The plane of projection is vertical and contains the line of greatest slope.) The particle strikes the plane at an angle theta,theta < 90degrees (i.e. theta is the landing angle).

(i) Express the velocity and displacement of the particle after t seconds in terms of unit vectors i and j along and perpendicular to the plane, respectively.

(ii) calculate theta

p.s. there were no diagrams and this is the original text, except there was a degrees symbol instead of degrees and and proper symbols for beta and theta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

2003 Q3 HL
    {a} A particle is projected on a horizontal plane with initial velocity u at an angle beta to the horizontal. If the range of the projectile is three times the greatest height, prove that tan beta = 4/3

{b} A particle is projected up an inclined plane with initial speed u. The line of projection makes an angle of 30degrees with the plane and the plane is inclined 30degrees to the horizontal. (The plane of projection is vertical and contains the line of greatest slope.) The particle strikes the plane at an angle theta,theta < 90degrees (i.e. theta is the landing angle).

(i) Express the velocity and displacement of the particle after t seconds in terms of unit vectors i and j along and perpendicular to the plane, respectively.

(ii) calculate theta

p.s. there were no diagrams and this is the original text, except there was a degrees symbol instead of degrees and and proper symbols for beta and theta.

Just did this q out 2days ago :D

Dontn have the copy with me at this min, but ill have it later tonight and post the answer then, fairly straight forward projectiles q tbh.

Where you from grimreeper outta interest?

Trim, Co. Galway

14dovv5.jpg

27wvxg5.jpg

I'll post (b) in a few minutes.

Trim, Co. Galway

Fair enough, just our class got that question on tuesday so just thought it was a coincidence!!

cokehead mother, howd ya get the answer to come up all fancy like that?

Okay so this diagram is... awful, but you might be able to get the general idea... maybe. g is the acceleration due to gravity, and I've resolved the vector so that there's components parallel to the x and y axes. Also I used x and y in my solution and then changed to i and j which was pointless so yeah, sorry about that.

33uvbqt.jpg

2ev7wp0.jpg

I wish I knew what the answer was cause I'm not great at applied maths, but that looks okay I think...

• Advertisement

timmywex wrote: »
    Fair enough, just our class got that question on tuesday so just thought it was a coincidence!!

cokehead mother, howd ya get the answer to come up all fancy like that?

LOL, why where you from? If you say Trim I will be scared.

LOL, why where you from? If you say Trim I will be scared.

Nah, its wexford for me! :D

Thank you so much cokehead mother, I would never have figured this out myself. I didn't think anyone would respond so fast.

wld92t.jpg

I'm not sure that's right at all. It seems ok to me but I dunno.

Thanks ever so much - I'm sure it's right, and if it ain't, it's still an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

I've looked through Cokehead's solution and it looks corrrect to me all the way down to the second last line. i think there's a 2 missing from the denominator of vx. Fixing this gives tan(theta)=sqrt(3), giving theta=60, which has the benefit of being a nice answer!

(And by the way, if that diagram was drawn freehand with a mouse, it's not half bad!)

Yep, v_x should definitely have a two in the denominator.

Advertisement