Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do spayed dogs still have a season?

Options
  • 16-09-2008 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

just as the title says - do bitches who have been spayed have a "false" season?

I currently have a bitch collie mix and a male Kerry Blue (not neutered) and recently he will not leave her alone - grooming her constantly and getting very out of breath etc (turned on I suppose)

Also, she had taken to humping me!!! Or the couch....

Other than getting the Kerry Blue neutered, does anyone have any advice?

It can't be fair on either of them:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Its possible a spayed dog can give signs of being in heat.
    Some vets do a partial spay. Some vets do a full spay. Though if its partial, the vet should be telling the person!!

Are you fully 100% sure that she was fully spayed?

Is there any other signs that she is going into heat?

Humping can be a sign of figuring out their place in the order of the pack. Whether its with you or another dog.

Have the dogs been together a while, or was one of them introduced recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

she was spayed about 6 years ago at about 6 months so i presume it was a full spay.

Its an odd situation - I took her as a puppy and she lived with me for 2 years. I then had to move home to the folks, and brought her with me. When I was moving back out, she refused to come as my Dad and her are now inseperable!!

I live beside my folks, so she spends her time between both houses!

The Kerry Blue is a new edition - well a year ago - and my folks dog sit him when I work, so both dogs are together the whole time!!

But this behaviour has only started in the past couple of months.

So its a mixture of everything you said I suppose!!!

Told you it was weird!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

35notout wrote: »
    she was spayed about 6 years ago at about 6 months so i presume it was a full spay.

Its an odd situation - I took her as a puppy and she lived with me for 2 years. I then had to move home to the folks, and brought her with me. When I was moving back out, she refused to come as my Dad and her are now inseperable!!

I live beside my folks, so she spends her time between both houses!

The Kerry Blue is a new edition - well a year ago - and my folks dog sit him when I work, so both dogs are together the whole time!!

But this behaviour has only started in the past couple of months.

So its a mixture of everything you said I suppose!!!

Told you it was weird!!!
    Like Beth said, you can have what is called an imcomplete spay where some reproductive tissue is accidentally left behind, happened to me with one of my dogs.

Out of interest how old is the Kerry Blue?

Quite odd alright if they've been around each other for a year! Could be adolescense making the Kerry Blue climb up the pack too though.

You can take her to the vets and see about getting a blood test to see if she's in heat and if there was a partial spay done.

nouggatti wrote: »
    Like Beth said, you can have what is called an imcomplete spay where some reproductive tissue is accidentally left behind, happened to me with one of my dogs.

Out of interest how old is the Kerry Blue?

The Kerry Blue is four (we rescued him from a bad situation).

they have been fine together for the past year, but this has only started recently.

Its truly is strange.....

• Advertisement

Beth wrote: »
    Quite odd alright if they've been around each other for a year! Could be adolescense making the Kerry Blue climb up the pack too though.

You can take her to the vets and see about getting a blood test to see if she's in heat and if there was a partial spay done.

She has had blood tests recently, as she needs to take tablets to @cool@ her blood during the summer. I think checking for a complete spay if a good idea though.

But this seems to be an ongoing thing - its not just every couple of weeks, its constantly.....if she was in heat would it not just happen occassionly?

Maybe neutering the Kerry Blue is the answer

It shouldnt be adolescense so :D

She could have a urinary infection/kidney infection, that is making her smell different to him.

Could be a few things really. First thing I'd suggest you do though is get her checked out by the vet for a thorough physical just in case.

Yes, the vet is definately going to happen. She was at the vets a couple of weeks ago, but my dad brought her and I just know her didn't mention this!

Its a head scratcher - but I will see what the vet says.

BTW at the moment they are both fast asleep, far away from each other!!

You'll have to let us know what happens. I'm very curious now :o

Oh definately! I will update as soon as I get to vets - hopefully will get her over tomorrow evening.

Maybe I should bring them both :D

• Advertisement

You know, thats not as mad as it sounds. Seeing the two of them together and how they are both reacting, can give a lot of clues. Just make sure you can handle them in a waiting room in front of people. It could end up with you having a very red face! :D

You could always video them on your phone and just show the vet the behaviour when they're together. That way at least he will get some clues - some that maybe you havent taken any notice of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 RALL!

This is very interesting!

Make sure you keep updating here:D

Beth wrote: »
    You know, thats not as mad as it sounds. Seeing the two of them together and how they are both reacting, can give a lot of clues. Just make sure you can handle them in a waiting room in front of people. It could end up with you having a very red face! :D

You could always video them on your phone and just show the vet the behaviour when they're together. That way at least he will get some clues - some that maybe you havent taken any notice of.

Great idea about the video! Will definately do that. Although it is quite hard to video when she is humping me!!

The behaviour between the two I can record no problem - she usually just sits and lets him groom but if he gets too close/frisky growls at him (not surprisingly)

Its his behaviour afterwards that is interesting too - out of breath, can't settle and constantly at me to pet him (no wonder)

I would say they are vying for my attention, but it happens when I am not there, so it cant be that!!

Video then vets....

Well the growls are understandable, she's annoyed and cant tell him go away in any other language :D

Is there a bitch in heat somewhere nearby??

Its also possible that if there's a bitch in heat, and he cant get to her, the "any female will do" will apply.

Its just another thing to think about that i forgot to mention earlier.

I completely understand the growls - I'm surprised she's not doing more!!!

There are no other female dogs where we live so I don't think its "relief", but you never know.

Its also an ongoing thing so maybe season was the wrong title - the behaviour says yes but dog biology says no!!

It has been happening for a couple of months, but not every day - just for a couple of days at a time every couple of weeks. It really is bizarre.

I would blame the Kerry Blue if it wasn't for her humping and constantly licking herself at the same time. When I say licking, I mean its as if she is masturbating - its the best analogy I can come up with. She licks herself really hard until she is completley of out breath and then just curls up as if satisfied!

But again this is all new in the past 4 or 5 months....:confused:

It could be an infection or any number of things if she needs to keep herself that clean.

Deffo give the vet all the details, and see what he says :)

Will do Beth and I will keep you all posted!! Thanks a mill for the input

I may just have humanised my dogs too much and they are imitating my bf's behaviour, but I doubt it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Actually, it's funny you should ask that. The folks back home have a boxer bitch and she was neutered when about 1 year old. She was in pup at the time too although we only found out from the vet.

Anyway, we also noticed that she still seems to come in season as well and the local dogs come around for a bit of hanky panky.

That said she's not in pup (I hope). We were (and are) a bit worried about it because we thought she could not be in heat if she was neutered.

I'll be keeping an eye out to see you post what it is ;)

GreenHornet, I'd deffo get her to the vets for a blood test. Its possible that maybe just the uterus was taken and the ovaries left, if she still has seasons. You should have been informed if it was done like that. Its also possible the vet just missed a bit - which you wouldnt/couldnt have been told about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Standard practice is a full ovarian hysterectomy, nothing left behind. If the vet is nto 100% happy you should be informed as you would need to watch out for certain things. Very bad practice otherwise!

• Advertisement
Advertisement