Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC builder needed ( Galway)

Options
  • 16-09-2008 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭

Well, I tried building my own PC. I bought the parts from Komplett. It boots up, all the fans spin, but my monitor doesn't respond and just goes to standy-by mode. The graphics card is seated firmly and really I'm just sick to death of troubleshooting and re-building. I am looking for someone with extensive knowledge with PC's and experience with building PC's so they can re-build and correct me where I went wrong or to tell what part is faulty so I can RMA.

My Specs are:

MSI P45 Neo 2
    Intel Core2Duo E8400 3.00 GHz
    2GB Crucial Ballistix PC8500
    Samsung F1 750 GB
    CoolerMaster CM 690
    Sony Nec DVD/-RW
    Corsair HX620w PSU

Obviously I will pay whoever does help, just PM with a price and I will see if I can meet it because I'm pretty broke after buying all the stuff. I am just gonna use the graphics card from my old PC for the time being because when I ordered I was waiting for the new line of ATI cards and I wanted to see nVidias response (price war basically).

Please only offer your help if like I said you know your **** when it comes to PC's.

Cheers lads.

Basically I just copy pasta'd this from another thread i made in another forum some time ago, but my new PC is gathering dust at the mo, so drop me a PM if you could help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Am i correct in thinking u can get another graphics card to work in your new computer ? If so have u tried the new graphics card in an old computer, if i'm reading your post correctly it sounds to me like it's your new card that's at fault not the pc or the way u built it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Yup, tried two cards now, both work in my current PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Lukker-
    Sent u a PM there.
    I can take a look if you want-no fee.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Lukker- wrote: »
    Yup, tried two cards now, both work in my current PC.

Hmmm that's weird, ok will leave it with kippy then.

Kippy would u mind reporting back what the problem was/is ?

Zorba wrote: »
    Hmmm that's weird, ok will leave it with kippy then.

Kippy would u mind reporting back what the problem was/is ?
    Will do if I get to the bottom of it.
    Kippy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

this is gonna sound like a stupid question but do you have it in the right port?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

try pluggin the monitor into the the vga port on the mobo it should show up then and when ya turn on the pc press f2 i think for bios options, it will say what button it is, in there look for gpu and go into it and disable it or select enable if no ext gpu
    i'd say thats ur problem that its puttin out the signal on the mobo and not the graphics card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

guil07 wrote: »
    try pluggin the monitor into the the vga port on the mobo it should show up then and when ya turn on the pc press f2 i think for bios options, it will say what button it is, in there look for gpu and go into it and disable it or select enable if no ext gpu
    i'd say thats ur problem that its puttin out the signal on the mobo and not the graphics card

Don't think that mobo has onboard graphics (could be wrong though...)
    I'd say to make doubly sure that the right power cables are going to the mobo, and try it with just 1 stick of ram.

There's nothing more headwrecking than a new pc not powering up... Hopefully kippy can save the day

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

didnt even look at the link i thought all of them had some sort of one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

i give a look at it too lukker if you want -:

have been in your suituation about 50 times by now :D

send me a pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭askU

What is the speed of the ram and FSB?

The Front Side Bus (FSB) connects the CPU to both the memory bus (where the RAM is housed) and the rest of the chipset (also known as the system data bus). The MHz timing of the FSB is what the other system timings are based upon, often using dividers or multipliers. For instance, if your FSB is 100 MHz, your PCI bus is at 33 MHz and your AGP bus is at 66 MHz, they'd be using 1/3 and 2/3 dividers, respectively.
    Once upon a time, that's as complex as it got. The only other timing connections you had to worry about were the CPU and RAM. For the CPU, all you had (and still have) to ask yourself was "does this CPU work with a FSB of X?" For the RAM, you used something like PC100 SDRAM where 100 equaled the speed of the FSB in megahertz. So if you had a 133 MHz FSB, you used PC133 RAM. Easy.
    Then AMD and Intel came out with "double-pumped" and "quad-pumped" system buses, respectively, which increased the effective speed of the FSB. Whereas a conventional bus had one transaction per clock tick, a double-pumped bus had two transactions per tick and a quad-pumped bus four per tick. Thus, on a double-pumped AMD board, a 166 MHz FSB now had an effective speed of 333 MHz (166 x 2, add 1). On an Intel quad-pumped board, a 133 MHz FSB now had an effective speed of 533 MHz (133 x 4, add 1).
    At roughly the same time, faster memory, in the form of DDR (Dual Data Rate) RAM, hit the shelves. DDR is a type of memory where data is sent over the bus at twice the speed of the clock. A 133MHz bus behaves like a 266MHz one would and the memory used on this bus is known by the higher speed, i.e. DDR 266.
    RAM, however, was also now known by a PCxxxx nomenclature. Whereas before PCxxx had meant the frequency of the memory (and was the same as the FSB, see above), now it related to the theoretical speed of the RAM, in Mbps. I won't go into the detailed calculations, but basically PC2100 = 2.1 GBps, PC2700 = 2.7 GBps, and so on.
    The upshot of this is that you now know that when purchasing an AMD board with a FSB of 333 Mhz, you're getting a double-pumped 166 MHz FSB. Thus, you'll want to get DDR 333 (PC2700) memory so that all your components are on the same timing. Likewise with an Intel board at 800 MHz for the FSB. There you'll want to get DDR 400 (PC3200) memory. (200MHz FSB running at four transactions per clock tick = 800 MHz FSB. Memory bus is "dual-channel" so can use DDR 400 memory for an effective memory speed of 400 MHz.)
    Is that it? Well, no. Then there's RAMBUS, a technology for memory that Intel uses on some boards. Since RAMBUS operates with a 16-bit interface instead of a 64-bit interface, it achieves much higher speeds. On top of this, RAMBUS is identified by the PCxxx and PCxxxx nomenclature, where x(x) equals the "effective" MHz speed, not the theoretical transfer speed, as used with normal DDR memory. Thus PC800 denotes memory running at 800 MHz and PC1066 denotes memory running at 1066MHz.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Spiritine

jesus...post more, this is very good readin, your definatly worth listening to!:D

im not being scarchastic or entin... incase any1 tinks i am:)

i learned more reading that post than ive been trying to reading comp discussions for the last 3weeks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

What's your video card? Don't see it posted here?

Hey guys,
    just to let ye know the OP hasn't gotten back to me since I PM'd and texted him so he has either gotten it sorted or is away for a while. No update as of yet.
    Kippy

Advertisement