Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tattoo problems

Options
  • 16-09-2008 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

hey, a friend of mine pointed me this direction to see if anyone can help

basically, i got a tattoo done in red ink (which i understand can be problematic) on the back of my leg about 6 weeks ago, and in the last day or 2 it has developed a series of little lumps, almost like pimples, all over, which get really itchy from time to time.

anybody ever heard of anything like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

ingrown hairs maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Red ink allergies are common, as you already know :( heres some info on it:

http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Ink_Allergy

Not really sure what the best way to deal with it is, maybe go back to your artist and if you're worried go to the doctor and get a prescription for anti-histamines or just to confirm that it is an allergy, not something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭christopher

wow, i feel so much better having seen those pics, thanks man... !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Ahaha sorry, should have mentioned that those are complete extreme worst-case scenarios- I doubt yours'll go that way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭Shamanic

Gauge wrote: »
    Red ink allergies are common, as you already know :( heres some info on it:

http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Ink_Allergy

Not really sure what the best way to deal with it is, maybe go back to your artist and if you're worried go to the doctor and get a prescription for anti-histamines or just to confirm that it is an allergy, not something else.

yeah i was thinking allergy tho 6 weeks is long enough.
    Short-term, wrap up some ice in a sandwich bag and wrap it in a towel, and ice the area, and then off the artist or GP as Gauge said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

yuckkkkk, i was going to be getting my first colour tattoo done tomorrow but after looking at that website I might stick with black now....im scared:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

nah here dude, that's wicked rare, I'm on this board like three years or whatever and christopher's the first case of it I've seen on here and I have a lot of red ink and other colour in my colour tatt n it's fine! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Eire_Tattoo

Red Rash is common enough, its not as common now as it used to be due to the inks being used. I have an allergy to white ink. It is extremely annoying considering I have 3 large Black and grey tattoos with white highlighting. I was extremely itchy and raised for a number of months but settled down 100% since. I even went to the doctor once because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 hibrat

hey, a friend of mine pointed me this direction to see if anyone can help

basically, i got a tattoo done in red ink (which i understand can be problematic) on the back of my leg about 6 weeks ago, and in the last day or 2 it has developed a series of little lumps, almost like pimples, all over, which get really itchy from time to time.

anybody ever heard of anything like this?

i got a tatt done about 6 months ago... i had a really bad reaction to the dark red ink that was used on it. The pores in my skin of the affected area looked almost clogged and it was super super itchy up until recently. went back to the artist and i was told to use a cortisone cream on it and it would sort it for me. but i developed a lump in one particular area and showed it reluctantly to my doc on a routine visit(whose normally very open minded!).
    Turned out to b a wart. how or why it developed is still a mystery (he insisted i get blood tests done to make sure i didnt catch anything also to be sure! ya know how docs are!) anyways...he froze the area which hurt like hell and after using a wart cream it has finally gone (bringing with it some of the ink!) ive a bit of scar tissue from it and other areas on my tatt that had the red ink seem to have scarred a bit aswell.....think ill be sticking to black n grey in future...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

Gauge wrote: »
    Red ink allergies are common, as you already know :(

Why red ink more so than others?
    I didn't know that and I have red ink on my arm :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 hibrat

i think red ink is the only colour ink that is not hypo allergenic so can cause reactions in some people

Advertisement