Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ubuntu upgrade total failure, help please :/

• 16-09-2008 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

I was trying to upgrade from 7.10 gutsy to 8.04 hardy with the update manager, I installed all the latest updates, rebooted, and then hit the upgrade button. Installation went fine, but now when I start it up there is simply a blank screen after the loading bar. No login, no mouse, just what looks like crosshatches on beige, sometimes with a thick black column down the middle.
    Any ideas what I can do here? Grub says its 8.04, I can get the terminal with ctrl-alt-f1. Will I have to do a clean install? will that work?

Dell vostro 1500, 2GBram, 2.2core 2 duo, nvidia geforce 8600m gt, sigmatel audio... dual boot with xp pro sp2

Any help would be great as its totally fckd:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Try to install the desktop:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

That's assuming the DHCP got you connected to the internet.

Do
    ifconfig

to see.

Another one to help see what happened is
    dmesg | more

This shows the messages created as the system boots up.

I've seen people say on the Ubuntu forums that it always better to do a clean upgrade from a CD.

If you do have to do a fresh install, make sure to set up a seperate root and /home folder. That makes the upgrade process seamless.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭greyed

There was no net connection unfortunately, got it fixed now though from the ubuntuforums... these commands did the job in case anyone has similar probs...
    sudo apt-get update                         
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

no net connection, skipped above.
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

Thanks Fear Aniar, will use a CD next time alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I've done upgrades using the package manager fine. The problem - based on your xorg reconfigure was your video drivers. This has happed to me with a kernel update.

Install Envy. It's a video driver manager for Debian. Next time this happens - and it probably will - from the console run "envy -t" - accept all defaults and you're sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭greyed

Ah cool, thanks.

Advertisement