Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

it's a ....

• 16-09-2008 9:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

Girl!!!!

We are both delighted as I've always wanted a girl ( although lately I've been wanting a boy - must be love) and my husband expressed a preference for a girl. Daddy's little princess already!

I had amnio ( 3 weeks ago) so it's 100% a girl

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Grawns wrote: »
    Girl!!!!

We are both delighted as I've always wanted a girl ( although lately I've been wanting a boy - must be love) and my husband expressed a preference for a girl. Daddy's little princess already!

Congratulations!!

Time to start buying lots and lots of pink!!!

Have you decided on a name yet??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I wish we had! Let the battle commence...

Aoife we both love but it's massivley popular at the moment so that puts me off. I love Neasa but he doesn't. The baby will be a dual citizen of US and Ireland so something recognisable ( or phonetic) but Irish ( He gets the surname so I insist on an Irish first name).

Also has to go with his surname with ends in a y so a name ending in a consonant would be good. Like Niamh ( but not Niamh - as that's my sisters name)

Fun times ahead :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Niamh looks like a consonant in English but is pronounced with a vowel ending.

I always liked the name Maeve, how bout that, its similar but different. Neasa...I'd agree with your husband.

Aoife is nice though, go for it and don't mind that others have it.

Congratulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

congrats, i had ultra sound. About 10 of them (complications). I was told it was a girl right up till a week before HE was born lol. Had to give away all the pink stuff people gave me. Its great its 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Girl!!!!

Congratulations - at least you'll only have one name to pick ;) and because it was by amnio, you can be confident maxing out the credit cards on pink :)

• Advertisement

I've never liked pink much but will have to embrace it now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

Congrats Grawns on your little princess :). Is it too personal a question to ask you why they did the Amino, as it does have certain risks associated with the procedure?

Dfens wrote: »
    Congrats Grawns on your little princess :). Is it too personal a question to ask you why they did the Amino, as it does have certain risks associated with the procedure?

Hi dfens

Not at all. I wish it wasn't so taboo as it's hard to find out other peoples experiences. Basically I'm 38 and will be 39 soon so my risk was high for a down syndrome child (1/100) or other chromosonal abnormality. After blood screening and a nuchal scan I was unhappy with the odds still so chose to have amnio. Often this is enough for people as their odds go right up into the 000's. The risks of miscarraige with amnio where the consultant is experienced are likely to be around 1/1000. It wasn't a difficult decision for me and I would have gone to England for testing if I had to. Luckily these tests ( nuchal, cvs, amnio) are freely available in Ireland now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

Thanks Grawns, I wondered if that was the reason alright. Would this screening be commonplace for more mature moms-to-be or is it more on a case-by-case basis do you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

congrats, i had ultra sound. About 10 of them (complications). I was told it was a girl right up till a week before HE was born lol. Had to give away all the pink stuff people gave me. Its great its 100%.

I think they can only be 80% sure in predicting sex. My sisters friend went in to have her girl and out popped a boy.. He was dressed in pink for his first photos..:eek: Poor child wasnt named for a week either..

I have two friends who have been told they are having girls.. so will be interesting to see if ty get it right!!!

• Advertisement

Dfens wrote: »
    Thanks Grawns, I wondered if that was the reason alright. Would this screening be commonplace for more mature moms-to-be or is it more on a case-by-case basis do you know?

The screening isn't commonplace in Ireland at all but is standard in UK for all Mums over 35 ( nuchal anyway and then amnio if your risk is less than 1/250)

You have to get it done privately as far as I know and a lot of women are self referred. It is the norm in most other countries for women to be screened but not here ( pro life issues?)

There was a thread on boards about it before and really it's a very sensitive area and brings out a lot of cranks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

The screening isn't commonplace in Ireland at all but is standard in UK for all Mums over 35 ( nuchal anyway and then amnio if your risk is less than 1/250)

You have to get it done privately as far as I know and a lot of women are self referred. It is the norm in most other countries for women to be screened but not here ( pro life issues?)

There was a thread on boards about it before and really it's a very sensitive area and brings out a lot of cranks.

I'd say you've hit the nail on the head there - pro life issues! It's not something I'd consider doing myself, because I wouldn't abort regardless, so I'd be afraid of the risk factor involved. That said, I wouldn't blink twice at the idea of others doing it - logically I know the risks are small, and sometimes people just want to be prepared or reassured, it doesn't necessarily mean they'd abort if something showed up as an issue. To each their own, let the cranks go and do whatever they like, it's always an individual decision.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Quality wrote: »
    I think they can only be 80% sure in predicting sex. My sisters friend went in to have her girl and out popped a boy.. He was dressed in pink for his first photos..:eek: Poor child wasnt named for a week either..

I have two friends who have been told they are having girls.. so will be interesting to see if ty get it right!!!

Same happened my baby cousin,she was born a he:)

Advertisement