Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trouble houstraining

Options
  • 16-09-2008 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Have an 11 week old siberian husky pup who we cant seem to get house trained. For a short while he seemed to be getting the hang of it but now he does his business inside every chance he gets even after we've brought him outside to do what he needs to. He's even pissed in his own bed.

We just don't know how to teach him to go outside. He seems to understand he's been bold when we give out to him but he just keeps doing it over and over again. I know they're a stuborn breed but he's really taking the biscuit at this stage.

This probably seems like a stupid problem but i'd realy appreciate any advice you guys have. Thanks!!:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

He's only a baby still!!

If he's having accidents inside, its because he is not being closely monitored. don't give out to him. The best thing to do when you find he has had an accident, is to get a rolled up newspaper, and give yourself a tap on the head, repeating "I must supervise my puppy" :D

Are you crate training him?

Puppies dont have very big bladders and dont understand about holding it. Take him out every hour, if he goes, reward him.

Take him out after food, play, sleep etc.

Dont let him have the run of the house - manage the house so that he cant have an accident. Use baby gates or use a crate to keep him contained.

Set him up to succeed, dont leave him unsupervised at all, unless he is in his crate and he can keep his crate clean. If he cant keep his crate clean, then you need to take him out more often.

You can use a lead tied to jeans to keep him by your side and prevent him wandering off and having an accident, if you would prefer to have him out of his crate at times. But do stick to a routine of taking him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 RALL!

Beth wrote: »
    He's only a baby still!!

If he's having accidents inside, its because he is not being closely monitored. don't give out to him. The best thing to do when you find he has had an accident, is to get a rolled up newspaper, and give yourself a tap on the head, repeating "I must supervise my puppy" :D

lol. so true.

Like Beth said,he's only a baby. Of course he'll have accidents!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

Don't panic, he's still very young, just bear these in mind;

1. Any behaviour that provokes a reaction from you is likely to be repeated so don't give out to him for peeing inside. Just clean it up without making a fuss.

2. Do not use ammonia based products like bleach to clean up the pee. There is ammonia in the pee and bleach might smell like a loo to him. Use a solution of biological washing powder and water.

3. Reward good behaviour. Go outside every 30mins or so and when he pee's give hima treat and a "good boy". He'll soon figure out that it's in his interest to pee outside.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 tom1979

i had th same problem with my puppy

a great tip

at night put the dog in a box or pin just big enough for himself
    dogs wont mess in their own bed this will train the dog to hold it in over night

during the day you will have to dring him out every hour to the same spot and wait until he goes this will show the dog that this is the place to go
    this worked for me it just take lots of time
    hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭talullah

we've been bringing him outside but i guess we probably aren't bringing him out enough. It's just that he was getting the hang of it, going to the door when he needed to go, and now he just seems to have gone backwards.

But true, he still is only a baby, it's just getting frustrating but i suppose patience is the key!

I was thinking maybe it had something to with our back garden being done up, i use to leave the door open for him at times so he could go out if he needed but there is spray down now so he can't go out there anymore and has to use the front....i don't know if maybe this could have mixed him up or something.

• Advertisement

ya the spray would take his sent away
    and if he goes in the house make sure to clean it with bleach or jays fluid

to take the sent away

tom1979 wrote: »
    ya the spray would take his sent away
    and if he goes in the house make sure to clean it with bleach or jays fluid

to take the sent away

Sorry Tom but NO BLEACH. Makes matters worse.

for in doors to take the sent of his mess away ?

i could be wrong

tom1979 wrote: »
    for in doors to take the sent of his mess away ?

i could be wrong

Yeah see my earlier post. Dog's often pee where there has already been pee. They recognise this by smelling for ammonia. Bleach is full of ammonia so they're likely to go on the bleach so use biological washing powder mixed with water instead.

Cleaning with anything ammonia/bleach based makes them think a big dog came in and pee'd everywhere, so they have to start at the start and pee everywhere themselves too, to make sure its their territory, not Bleach Dog's territory :D

You can use bio washing powder, or anything with enzymes like Oxy action etc. Vinegar + water (50/50) solution can also do the same thing. I know i'd rather have the floor smelling of bio washing powder than vinegar though!!

Its possible the change to using the front garden instead of the back garden confused him alright. Just because a dog piddles somewhere with grass, doesnt necessarily mean he'll piddle everywhere with grass. Besides, he got used to going out a certain door. Back door + piddle in garden = good. New door + piddle in garden = confused. Unless its for a marking territory thing. Kinda like just because a dog knows how to sit in kitchen, doesnt mean he's going to know what "sit" means in a field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hes still very young, my fella was nearly 7 or 8 months before he stopped having the odd accident in the house, they also say that males can take longer to house train too.

Worst thing is to give out to him if he messes in the house, if you catch him in the middle of doing it, just say no and bring him straight outside to finish.

Always make a big fuss of him when he goes outside and reward him.

Now my fella will bang on the blinds on the back door when he wants to go out, just have patience, it will come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Tired

We have a similar problem, he will be great all day, go to the back door, scratch it till you let him out or if your in the room he will just sit there looking at the door, he is 11 weeks old, but the odd time he will go the pee anywhere, and if he gets excited at all he forgets he has to go out and goes where he is. I'm not there all day with him and he has free reign of the kitchen when we are gone and to be honest I did the 50/50 vinegar and it doesnt work, stuck at using vinegar for a week, plus it stinks worse than the dogs poo. Am just using Milton to clean up his messes and then cleaning the floors with detol. Each to there own though. The only thing i can say is they are still young and eventually they will get there with plenty of praise and treats. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

Dog's often pee where there has already been pee.

Really, cos my little lady will rarely go in the same place twice.....I actually find it funny cos when I open the door and she needs to go, it's as if she has decided where she's going to do it before she goes out. She heads straight to totally different areas of the garden each time...has a good sniff & then goes!!

Anyone any ideas on how to get her to "tell" you she needs to go out. I normally leave the door open during the day, but the weather is getting colder so the door is going to have to be shut!! She's 6mths so getting abit big to bring out every hour, I have no problem continuing this, but is there a way to teach her to "tell" me?

Has she cottoned onto the fact that when your doorbell rings, the door opens?
    Because if she has, an easy solution is to hang a bell off your door to the garden where she goes, and let her ring it by bashing with her paw. Bell rings = door opens :D plus you get to hear her needing to go out too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Little A wrote: »
    Really, cos my little lady will rarely go in the same place twice.....I actually find it funny cos when I open the door and she needs to go, it's as if she has decided where she's going to do it before she goes out. She heads straight to totally different areas of the garden each time...has a good sniff & then goes!!

Anyone any ideas on how to get her to "tell" you she needs to go out. I normally leave the door open during the day, but the weather is getting colder so the door is going to have to be shut!! She's 6mths so getting abit big to bring out every hour, I have no problem continuing this, but is there a way to teach her to "tell" me?

I'm training my dog at the moment and every time I bring her out to the back garden to go I put her on a lead, I leave the lead where she can get it so when she needs to go she gets the lead herself, she won't bring it to me but she's telling me she needs to go out. It's working pretty well so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 joannesmakeup

I have a 7 mth old german shepherd. For the first 2 wks he was with us, his bed was a soft blanket on the kitchen floor. He'd wee and poo inside even though when we took him out and gave him lots of praise when he did it outdoors.
    Then I decided to get a crate, I put his blanket in it & its the best investment ive bought since i got him.
    From the first night he slept in his crate, there hasnt been a single accident indoors. Its also his bedroom so its his place to chill out & relax.
    Watch out for signs that he needs to wee, circling, whining, sniffing etc.
    My advice GET A CRATE

Advertisement