Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what you going to see?

Options
  • 16-09-2008 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭

was thinking maybe a thread for people who are going to musicals and then they can say what they thought afterward.

gong to see pirates of penzance and evita this month cant wait!

have no clue what pirates of penzance is about but when i saw it was a musical got to work on the parents for tickets.

dying for evita!
    loved the filim except i didnt particiullarly like madonna.
    oh and the che better be good otherwise il be comparing him to antonio banderas the whole time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Niamh-17

Evita is in the Gaiety isnt it?
    Would love to go see that, hope you enjoy it!

Im going to see Phantom and the musicals in UL in early october, kinda of a collaboration of musicals!

And im going to see wicked....for the third time lol....during october midterm with a friend! Cant wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I saw Avenue Q for the first time last weekend. Didnt know anything about it really except it was supposed to be a Sesame Street type show for adults. Sounds weird but it was absolutely fantastic - very un-PC which I just loved :D

Bad Idea bears rock :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

saw pirates of penzance last night in the helix.
    at the start i hated it.took me a while to figure out what they were saying but once it got into it i thought it was good.i loved the modern major general.wouldnt be something id go see again though.overall i thought it was good and the set was cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

saw pirates of penzance last night in the helix.
    at the start i hated it.took me a while to figure out what they were saying but once it got into it i thought it was good.i loved the modern major general.wouldnt be something id go see again though.overall i thought it was good and the set was cool

Saw it also. Didnt like it really althought the effort from the cast was good. They looked like they were making a good effort despite the flaws in the production that were handicapping them.
    - wtf with the amplification ? What a nonesense.
    - voices of the principals were good althought Frederick had a very pronounced 'West End musicals' tone at times which spoilt.
    - what happened the overture?
    - all for political incorrectness myself, but surprised to see its OK to laugh at fat and short people again.
    - orchestra sounded small and weak - even with the amping. Left it sounding very unbalanced.

Not good. Might have been fine if they had put it into the theatre rather than the hall - its not as if there were too many in the audience!

yeah i was suprised at how empty it was!
    im not a june rogers fan but thought she was good in this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

JohnK wrote: »
    I saw Avenue Q for the first time last weekend. Didnt know anything about it really except it was supposed to be a Sesame Street type show for adults. Sounds weird but it was absolutely fantastic - very un-PC which I just loved :D

Bad Idea bears rock :D:D:D:D:D

I'm absolutely dying to see this musical. Worship the soundtrack but just can't afford to get across to London, let alone New York! :(

I also want to see Evita, so I think I'll try to drag somebody with me. :) I don't actually know an awful lot about the storyline or anything and I've only seen snippets of the film but I really quite dislike Madonna so I didn't particularly want to watch it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

Sorry should really have posted here - I just posted a new thread in this forum having just come back from Phantom in London.

I'd be interested to hear what anyone else thought.

fonpokno wrote: »
    I also want to see Evita, so I think I'll try to drag somebody with me. :)
    I saw this at the end of its run in London a year or two back and I really just came out thinking it was so-so. Saying that I didnt like the one they had for Evita, she just didnt seem that good to me but I've been told by some that shes fantastic so maybe I just had her on an off day. The London set was brilliant and some of the rest of the cast were excellent. Its in/coming to Dublin right? Might take a trip up to see it if I can.

Yep it's in Dublin now, I think it finishes on Friday though? There's no chance I'll get to see it unfortunately. Right now I'm trying to convince my parents to go to London so I can drag them to just about every show I can think of.

Silly lack of musicals in Ireland....

Well guess I wont be seeing it in Dublin then :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Niamh-17

Silly lack of musicals in Ireland....

Agreed!

im off to evita tomorow.ill let ye know how it was.
    better be good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Hopefully once the Point/O2 is back open we'll start to see more musicals coming back to Ireland. It's the only venue in the country big enough to take the automated sets of shows like Phantom, Miss Saigon, Les Mis etc., so while it was closed there was just nowhere for them to play.

For example, there's only 5 theatres in the UK & Ireland big enough to take Miss Saigon, and the Point was one of them.

Honey-ec wrote: »
    ...there's only 5 theatres in the UK & Ireland big enough to take Miss Saigon...
    :eek: I saw Miss Saigon before, didnt think the set looked all that big compared to some of the others.

:eek: I saw Miss Saigon before, didnt think the set looked all that big compared to some of the others.

It's not so much what you see onstage at any given time, it's the room backstage for the automatons and, of course, the helicopter.

I must have seen the cheap version so, they only used a projector screen for the helicopter :p. To be fair though, in combination with the lighting, smoke effects and sound system it took a few seconds to realise it was only a projection rather than an actual prop.

well just in from evita and i loved it!
    eva was excellent.great singer really believeable.i liked peron suprisingly as in the screen version i hated him.felt sorry for him as evita was dying.may have shed a tear myself but shhh.
    che was very good and and was an animated carachter didnt like him at the start of oh waht a circus but i thought he came into his own.
    the set was rather good.plain but good and effective as changing the setting.
    id give it a 9 out of 10.

I must have seen the cheap version so, they only used a projector screen for the helicopter :p. To be fair though, in combination with the lighting, smoke effects and sound system it took a few seconds to realise it was only a projection rather than an actual prop.

Really???:eek: But that's such an integral part of the show! How did Chris get off stage? Where did you see it?

I'll put this in spoiler tags just in case someone doesnt want to read it.
    It was a large screen and it was in the centre of the stage (height & width) so at roof level for one of the building sets. When the troops were being evacuated they were running up steps or a ladder on the building set then along the roof and at the point where they got to the door of the helicopter they jumped behind a piece of scenery but it looked like they were actually jumping into the helicopter. It sounds weird but with the sound, lighting & smoke effects it actually looked quite good.

If theres one thing I'll say about the Sydney theatres its that they've got absolutely top-notch sound systems so with something like the above the sound alone is almost enough to convince you that you're seeing a helicopter. It was brilliant for Phantom too actually :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I also saw Avenue Q at the weekend and would heartily recommend it to anyone with a sense of humour that extends to puppets singing about being racist, being in the closet, and of course bears suggesting drinking games as a good idea!!!

But there is a heart to the story as well, and the songs are brilliant. I'd go back and see it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

My sister saw Les Mis in London last week for the 3rd time. She said it was unbelievable. I kind of thought that she'd be sick of it because she listens to the soundtrack all the time, but she said it was a good as ever. Even her friend, who isn't a fan of musicals, loved it.

I, of course, am jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I also saw Avenue Q at the weekend and would heartily recommend it to anyone with a sense of humour that extends to puppets singing about being racist, being in the closet, and of course bears suggesting drinking games as a good idea!!!

But there is a heart to the story as well, and the songs are brilliant. I'd go back and see it again.
    Yeah I'd like to see this coz I really enjoy the songs, they're so funny! :D .. A friend of mine saw it and loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I went to see Evita too and loved it, though the night I went to see it, I thought Eva's voice was a little weak in the first half. Don't know what happened in the interval but she was great in the second half.
    Anyway, I think I'll be going to see Fiddler on the Roof next week in the Draiocht and Jekyll and Hyde in the National Concert Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

Wicked and Avenue Q soon! In london! Hopefully... :D

Went to see Jekyll and Hyde tonight in the National Concert Hall. Didn't know what to expect, but it was fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Wicked and Avenue Q soon! In london! Hopefully... :D
    Bring me with you? :D

heya just back from london and saw we will rock you and hairspray.

hairspray was deadly...soo funny.timeless to me was comical.micheal ball shone.
    only thing was that the vocals were a bit dodgy the very odd time but definetly worth a look.oh and seaweed was amazing.im still singing the songs now.

We will rock you.at the start i hated the male lead but by the end i was in love with him...oh yes shagallo giggalo.the set and lighting were fabulous but the lcd screens used in the background in some numbers annoyed me.the vocals were top class and the finale took the house down.soo soo good!

oh and saw denise van outen and lee mead walking down the road near the theatre were joseph is on.

heya just back from london and saw we will rock you and hairspray.

*jealous*
    oh and saw denise van outen and lee mead walking down the road near the theatre were joseph is on.

*super jealous*

Mmmm Lee Mead... *drools*

Oh oh oh woke up today, feeling the way i aaaaaaaaalways doooo.....

i know...in the flesh he's a lot prettier...damnit dribble stains are so hard to get out

yeah after hairspray and we will rock you the 93 who went in our group were like singing and dancing down the roads and on the tube and stuff....soo much fun:)

• Advertisement

I'm going to see Seussical in Tallaght on Friday. I'm not really sure what to expect, but there are a few people from my musical society in it, so I thought I'd better show some support!

Advertisement