Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to buy vinyl?

• 16-09-2008 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Apologies if this has been addressed before, I couldn't find anything searching around myself.
    Where do you go to buy vinyl in Dublin?? I've been living abroad for a while so I'm trying to get the lay of the land again.
    I know Freebird's still going and that Tower and has a small vinyl section but are there any shops that carry new dance records or anywhere that has a good used section for electronic music?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

id imagine most people buy off the internet these days

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

City Discs in Temple Bar are good for both CD's and vinyl -

www.citydiscs.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭paulthom8

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gsparx

Thanks for the suggestions. I must check out City Discs.
    To the other posters, I was really looking for a physical shop in dublin where you can hold the vinyl and take a listen.
    I do my fair share of internet shopping but there's no substitute for crate digging.:)
    I was in town today and by chance stumbled across "Spindizzy Records" in George's street arcade.
    A great little shop I'd recommend to anyone. Nice vibe, good selection of dance music new and used (other genres are sold too) and decent prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

i know people (including myself) who buy from chemical records if you have credit card.(if not, there is the 3v option)

they're quite good, usually 4-5 days delivery time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

if you HAVE to buy online then chemical records are really really good

personally i prefer to buy local and support the record shops and keep the digging culture alive

freebird [where comet used to be] are great for hip hop, soul, dubstep, funk, drum and bass and stuff like that

city discs are great for dubstep, electronica, breakcore, electro and that sort of thing

spindizzy are great for second hand stuff and techno

abbey discs are great for ripping you off completely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

Hmv in Grafton Street and Henry Street sell records as well but I dont think they have as many as they used to.

thanks, tyranny. some great tips there. cheers....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭Fintomiginto

i buy most of my vinyl on www.juno.co.uk , very good selection and they are fairly quick and reasonable enough.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Yeah forgot about Spindizzy actually, got some gems in there over the years. Good shop and fair prices.

• Advertisement

personally i prefer to buy local and support the record shops

my problem with record stores spans many years ..requesting tracks, receiving them months later or never.

with a site like chemical, you get it if they have it.
    they don't give you that BS line: "it'll be here next week.." only for it to be delayed another 3-4 weeks.

they can either get it or they can't..atleast with chemical, they're telling you straight away.

music shops work the same as any other business, supply and demand.
    if you go ask them to order a dnb track, you can't expect them to source it cheap
    without first going to a distributor..if demand isn't there, you'll be waiting a long time.

Long story short, order online, save yourself the pain - don't waste your time.

if you can get a 320 bit mp3, forget about vinyl unless you really need it.

i'm not attacking you personally Tyranny, but i really couldn't care less about local business if they can't get what i want for the price i want..i go somewhere else.

the only local store i recall being reliable was selectah, before Rohan relocated
    to spain...

Rohan as far as i know sold most of his vinyl before he packed up and went to spain, what does that tell you about vinyl? its dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Ten years ago one could spend all afternoon walking around town visiting the different dance record shops. All gone now for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭AmyG

Abbey discs!!!

Nolanger wrote: »
    Ten years ago one could spend all afternoon walking around town visiting the different dance record shops. All gone now for some reason.

as this thread has shown though, at least there are still some options. vinyl is making somewhat of a comeback. there's certainly more rock music being released on vinyl now than there was 5 years ago.
    as far as dj'ing goes digital is probably the way to go. doesn't mean the 12 inch has to die completely though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭senan s

what style of music are ye buying,

i'm into a bit of everything really, particularly a good bargain so i buy a lot of used stuff.
    i'm really into downtempo dubby/ jazzy stuff but i also buy house/ tech house, minimal stuff, also rock, dub, breaks.
    i'm not chasing the latest tracks as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

gsparx wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been addressed before, I couldn't find anything searching around myself.
    Where do you go to buy vinyl in Dublin?? I've been living abroad for a while so I'm trying to get the lay of the land again.
    I know Freebird's still going and that Tower and has a small vinyl section but are there any shops that carry new dance records or anywhere that has a good used section for electronic music?
    Cheers.
    des kellys...lol

greatgoal wrote: »
    des kellys...lol

zipped by me like concord.
    that is to say, i don't get it! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

zipped by me like concord.
    that is to say, i don't get it! :confused:
    des kelly the carpet man
    vinyl flooring id imagine is what hes talking about(lino)

• Advertisement

ahh, i see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 gasolinehorsey

there is a record fair in the bernard shaw on the 8th of march

think it starts at 2pm, looks like its gonna be decent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

i'm into a bit of everything really, particularly a good bargain so i buy a lot of used stuff.
    i'm really into downtempo dubby/ jazzy stuff but i also buy house/ tech house, minimal stuff, also rock, dub, breaks.
    i'm not chasing the latest tracks as such.

Spindizzy in the george st arcade has all the above and more on vinyl even though its mostly got techno/electro and as someone else said, its got loads of second hand stuff. you could easily lose a few hours there even though its a tiny place. its a great wee shop. buying on line is fine but nothing beats rummaging through the vinyl and finding some obscure masterpiece. I've spent far to much money there:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I collect old records, especially cheap ones. Mostly soul/funk/disco, but also some jazz, lounge, exotic etc.

After a quick bite and a pint, and not bothering to go to Road Records, I usually start my day in Georges St Acrade.

The dude in the very middle. I like diggin in his "cheapies" crates. 3 for a fiver.
    "Louis Armstrong, Peggy Dell, and Herb Alpert, I'll have them thanks very much."
    Funnily enough, there is a bit of a bang off the Peggy Dell record.

Then up to Spindizzy for some ankle-killing floor diggin'.
    "God damn it, when is someone going to buy that crap Scottish highland record?"
    ... more digging....
    "Feck this, I'm not leaving empty handed-after routing through all that crap."
    James Last record for 3 euro saves the day.

I dig for old stuff, so I still hit up the charity shops, although Oxfam are feckers for overpricing everything. Enable Ireland are ok. Both of those shops are beside The George.
    I usually leave empty handed. The charity shops that is, not The George. I don't go there.

Moving across Dame street, that funky skater/graffer shop "All City" on Crow Street, in Temple Bar sell rekkids too, mostly disco/funk/soul/hip-hop.
    "Can I have the needle for the turntable please"..."feck, I'm going to have to buy something now".

Shimmying around then, there's a place upstairs in Flip, beside Central Bank. Dude has a ton of old 7"s at the moment for like 40 cent each, including some 70s, 80s, Mowtown stuff. Also a ton of cheap junk out the back worth routing through. - Lots of old house/pop 12"s etc.
    Going back down the stairs, tuck yourself in, fix your hair in the mirror, nip in for a quick pint in The Foggy Dew.

After an afternoon pint in The Foggy Dew, the sun usually comes out. I don't like the other place beside Central Bank, whatever it's called, but I can't resist the urge so I give it five minutes. "Wow, I got that record for a quid in SVP and they want a score. God I hate this shop. Why did I come here?"
    Leave empty handed, but not without hope, there's a sweet little shop down the way..

..Walking towards Crown Alley then, "will I bother with the guy beside the barbers or will I go straight into the other dude up the lane?".
    I usually go straight into the cramped little shop in Crown Alley. The crates on the floor are always worth a look for a magpie like me. Pick up that cheap Dionne Warwick LP, and the Disco compilation, and head across to Pravda, for a pint while I examine my new records more carefully, while trying not to look too pretentious.

Good times.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Martyr wrote: »
    Rohan as far as i know sold most of his vinyl before he packed up and went to spain, what does that tell you about vinyl? its dead.

Nah - it tells you that Rohan was sick of selling records and running a label and dj-ing out all over Europe all the time... Reason he went to Barcelona was to make a clean break from the DnB scene and get into photography, as far as i know he's having a great time, and fair play to him too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭aidan kelly

There's a few good places to buy records in Dublin. Spindizzy is quite good, and Beatfinder records in Temple Bar are apparently good too, but I've been buying all my vinyl online since 2001 and I don't regret the decision, I was bored of asking for records and being told they'd be in, and never arrive. I also found the selection in Dublin record stores painfully limited, particularly for US imports.

As far as internet shopping goes, the best stores I've come accross for vinyl are:

www.juno.co.uk
    www.hardwax.de
    www.klone.nl
    www.submerge.com
    www.vinyljunkies.co.uk

Some of the second-hand places on the net are great too, like:
    www.discogs.com
    www.gemm.com
    www.ebay.com

I actually prefer shopping for vinyl online as you can listen in the comfort of your own home.

Oh, and Rohan, what a dick.

Advertisement