Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trojan effort

Options
  • 16-09-2008 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

It's about time I start tracking my efforts to get fit again. I'm currently 111kg (just under 17.5 stones) and I'm 5'7".

I estimate that I'm about 3 stone overweight, 14.5 st is a good weight for me (which would give a BMI of 31.8 which is allegedly obese, but fine if you're a front rower like me).

My initial efforts will focus on a lot of cycling to get my base aerobic fitness up to par, and then I'll bring in some rugby training, running, weights, and maybe even some swimming.

So the first goal is to get to 14.5 stone, after that we'll see what happens.

Quick summary of current status
    • been into sports all my life, especially rugby and cycling (I'm sportcrazy)
    • worked in office last 9 years
    • started a business 2 years ago
    • worked 14 days a week since

Something must give, and that's the hours I spend in the office.

Plan

2804139186_7198739d1e_m.jpg
    First of all, cycling. I am going to, and have already spend more time on long distance cycling (LDC). I listen to a lot of audio training materials when I'm cycling, e.g. Brian Tracy, Dan S Kennedy, Anthony Robbins etc, so it's not wasted time. My plan is 1 x 80km+ spin per week, and if possible 1x 150km every 6-8 weeks. Also Howth Head is pretty close by, it's about a 70 or 80 minute (20km) round trip (short distance cycle - SDC), I've been doing that about twice a week recently, I'm going to try keep that up.

Secondly, I'm going to try to make it to rugby training at least once a week. I thought it was impossible last year due to business commitments, but realistically it's possible to make the time somehow.

Thirdly, I'm going to try to get to the gym at least once a week for either a run, a swim, or both. Reward: jacuzzi & sauna!

Ok, that's the plan, now it's time to JFDI.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

August 2008
    Cycle tour in France.
    940km total
    15 days cycling
    63km/day average
    ~40kg gear on bike

2803303781_843ca48d32_m.jpg
    2803271917_69c7b2ba3b_m.jpg

This trip got my base fitness from extremely unfit to halfway decent (able to walk up stairs without losing my breath).

Thurs 11th Sept 08

LDC Dublin to Athlone cycle

Distance: 133km
    Avg speed: 17.3km/h (slow because of off-road canal towpaths)
    Calories burned (HRM): ~6600
    Avg HR: 128

2856768441_b3740f0f98.jpg

Tues 16th Sept SDC: Killester to Howth Head

Distance: 26.5km
    Time: 80 mins
    Avg Speed: 19.5 km/h

Avg HR: 143
    Max HR: 180 (was pushing it there)
    Calories (HRM): 998

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭daveywavey08

Good to see you back, BUDDY! Quick game of CTF on indigo???

Good to see you back, BUDDY! Quick game of CTF on indigo???
    Not on for that, that muppet DaisyKrusher is on there TKing like nobodies business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭daveywavey08

That c unt Daaa is playing too. He's some awful bould young fella. From Ennis I believe ;)

Thurs 18th Sept Short Distance Cycle: Killester to Howth Head
    Route map http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2277392

Distance: 26.5km
    Time: 67 mins
    Avg Speed: 23 km/h

Avg HR: 154
    Max HR: 178
    Calories: 1107 (from Polar HRM)

Odometer: 1242km

Have a mechanical that's been keeping me off the road, gotta get that fixed asap. Bought another bike which will prevent me being off the road entirely in future!

A couple of trips to town and one round trip to Dun Laoghaire for sailing put the odometer at 1300km, so 58km in the last 12 days (very poor). Hope to do better in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

How's progress ?

Advertisement