Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Machine Head - Anyone Here A Fan?

• 16-09-2008 11:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Given Machine Head's connection with Dublin (since they first played supporting Slayer in the S.F.X.) the band have been to Ireland several times. I am looking for people who have attended those gigs to post memories and good times here to remember a little MH nostalgia.

The first time I saw Machine Head was on Halloween night in 2003, the first time the band had played in a while anywhere, and also the first gig in support of the (then unreleased) Through the Ashes of Empires album. The band dressed up as Halloween characters, with Dave as a skeleton and Robb as the devil in a flash red suit, while some of the crowd decided to dress up. It was also the first time the band had played Descend the Shades of Night live and it was odd to see an acoustic guitar at a MH gig. I also remember someone in the crowd bought Robb Flynn a drink at the bar.

I had to wait until Nov 2007 to see them again, as their gig in Ulster in 2006 was too hard for me to get to, and this time they were supporting The Blackening. The band played A Farewell to Arms as a special tribute to Dublin and the connection the band has with the fans here. They also let some drunk ****er up on stage and he shouted about loving the band. This was a fantastic gig and even more packed then the one in 2003. I would love to get some photos or videos if anyone has any from this gig.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Would love to see them,when are they coming back to ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

savage live band.......only seem them once to date unfortunately - managed to miss them a few times here - saw them in Nov last year in the Ambassador and they blew me away........

hopefully they'll be back over here next year......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'm going to see them next month supporting Slipknot but don't know too much about them other than my cousin thinks they're the dogs.

Can someone recommend a few songs or maybe an album as a starting point? Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I'm going to see them next month supporting Slipknot but don't know too much about them other than my cousin thinks they're the dogs.

Can someone recommend a few songs or maybe an album as a starting point? Cheers

I'd suggest you start with "The Burning Red" and go from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I have to disagree (sorry c-13!) I didn't really like The Burning Red at all, bar one or two songs.

Their debut, Burn My Eyes, is an absolute classic. After that I'd give the nod to Through The Ashes of Empires, the album-before-last. It's widely regarded as their real return to form, after a couple of dodgy years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

the burning red?? no no no. not a good album. burn my eyes, and the more things change are the starting points. with "davidian" being a bona fide classic.

i was at that gig in 2003, the sound wasnt great tbh. i dressed as donnie darko...

i'm not a huge MH fan, due to the fact that i always though that robb flynn was a bit of an oppertunist, kinda latching onto trends to seem current (hip hop and nu metal being examples) they didnt flat out change their sound, but just added enough to seem "hip"

its alleged logan mader left after the second album as robb flynn fully planned to sell out and wanted mh to be the next metallica...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

They are an awesome band and Ive loved em since Burn My eyes came out.
    I would rate thier albums thusly

1.the more things change
    2.burn my eyes
    3.the blackening
    4.through the ashes of empires
    5.the burning red
    6.poopercharger

The top 3 varies listen to listen but at the mo thats how it stands.
    As for Logan leaving because Robb allegedly wanted to change their sound that is pretty plausible.They did change drastically after that with supercharger been a total stinker IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

c - 13 wrote: »
    I'd suggest you start with "The Burning Red" and go from there

:eek:

Start with burn my eyes skip The Burning Red and Supercharger and rejoin the band for Empirium.

Seen MH 1st gig in the SFX in 95 I think it was. One of the few gigs where we did a runway...........good stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Can someone recommend a few songs or maybe an album as a starting point?
    Start with their debut Burn My Eyes.

Here's Old from that album:

Davidian:

Here's Message In A Bottle (yes it's a cover of the Sting classic):

Aesthetics of Hate (the lead guitar part that starts around 2 minutes in is fantastic):

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Was at the Mandella Hall gig in 2004, which was rather fecking awesome... and then saw them again at a festival in Madrid in May, supporting The Blackening, which was not quite as good, but still miles ahead of other gigs I've seen.

Personally, Burn My Eyes and Ashes of Empires are amongst my favourite albums, and I haven't had that much love for the others bar a few tracks, but look at the perfect set list they played in Madrid, IIRC...

Clenching Fists of Dissent
    Old
    Halo
    Blood, Sweat, Tears
    Wolves
    Davidian
    ---
    Imperium
    A Thousand Lies
    Descend the Shades
    Block (and that is still one of the most awesome finishing tracks there is!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

seen them at the halloween 03 gig in the ambassador and caught most of their set when they played wembley last year with metallica. awesome live band,through the ashes.... is my personal favourite,can't get enough of imperium:D

going to 2 metallica shows in new york/new jersey in january and MH are supporting,can't wait to see them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I think i may have gotten my albums confused there, I went home and put on Burning Red and Burn My Eyes and I have to agree, Eyes > Red. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I remember the first time I heard Burn My eyes, it was one of the most amazing albums I'd ever heard, it was also one of those moments people always say they had with music. Me and My buddy say in his room with it on repeat for a 8 hours :D I was only listening to Blood For Blood yesterday, absolutely animal band. Will always be one of my favorites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

Anyone else find it weird that they're supporting Slipknot?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Was at the Mandella Hall gig in 2004, which was rather fecking awesome... and then saw them again at a festival in Madrid in May, supporting The Blackening, which was not quite as good, but still miles ahead of other gigs I've seen.

Personally, Burn My Eyes and Ashes of Empires are amongst my favourite albums, and I haven't had that much love for the others bar a few tracks, but look at the perfect set list they played in Madrid, IIRC...

Clenching Fists of Dissent
    Old
    Halo
    Blood, Sweat, Tears
    Wolves
    Davidian
    ---
    Imperium
    A Thousand Lies
    Descend the Shades
    Block (and that is still one of the most awesome finishing tracks there is!)

that was a very short set list they played,were they supporting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Like it or not, Slipknot are the bigger band. I don't agree with it myself but that's the masses for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Yes, well I don't find it weird but I would say it should be the other way around.

Personally I love Machine Head, Burn My Eyes being one of my favourite albums. They did have a few dodgy years alright though, best to start with Burn My Eyes and see if you like it. After that nothing really makes it to the same level but their last two albums are still top quality.

If you want more after that pick up The More Things Change. To be honest though if you're just trying to get some background on them for the gig I'd stick with Burn My Eyes, Through the Ashes of Empires and The Blackening.

Throw this one in too for good measure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

that was a very short set list they played,were they supporting?

Festival... before Metallica

Advertisement