Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Passat and a dodgy Alternator

Options
  • 16-09-2008 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭

Right here we go....

VW Passat 1.9 TDI

03 and about 93K on the clock...

Runs fine and always has except.....

Took a corner yesterday and the battery light came on.... And then went off.... and then back on....

There was no rythm to the blinking of the light but then it started again and it had a bit of rythm/sync....

Turned off the car and went to bed. Got up this morning. Turned off everything not essential, (IPod link, radio, heater and anything else sucking power) started her up and the Alternator light was on permanently and then it started making a funny buzzing sound and the dash lights started flicking (lights on as it was dark) then my right hand head light blew, buzzing stopped and alternator light went out.

Car drove fine into work except when i went full lock while stationary the car made a kind of belt slipping sound.

Any ideas of the problem at hand and an expected cost for replacment ? Car is with my Mechanic but need to know what I am dealing with long term here ie: Is it time to start looking for my Diesel Honda Accord just yet ?

I always said I would drive the VW until it became too expensive to run so would rather still have her in a few years time...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

You're mechanic'll probably change the belt first - no harm starting with the cheapest option (no point condemning the alternator until you know it's the culprit!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

MugMugs wrote: »
    Car drove fine into work except when i went full lock while stationary the car made a kind of belt slipping sound.

It sounds like it just be the "fan" belt needs replacing. If it was slipping then the alternator output would drop. The slipping sound you heard was due to the power steering pump needing more "oomph" when on full lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Got it....

Aircon tensioner wasnt replaced by a previous garage and came loose, smacked the belt pulley and walla !

:o(
    Ugh, more money gone

Cheers

Advertisement