Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New tyer question

Options
  • 16-09-2008 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi,
    I got a new road bike at the begining of summer 2007 and it came with Continental Ultra sport tyers.Now luckily enough I managed to get through the whole first summer of use without a puncture but this summer has been a different story altogether.The first time I got a puncture it was about 40 minutes into a spin with a mate.I broke my set and his set of plastic tyer leavers trying to put the tyer back on.I got metal leavers but now I just keep nicking the tube(today I had toget a lift home from Ashford after wrecking two tubes,thanks to the cyclist who tried in vain to help me out if he posts here).

Does anyone have any advice of an easy to remove/put back on pincture resistant tyer that dosen't dull the handeling of the bike.

Ps My wheels are Campag Khamsin G3 if that matters???

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Hi Amjon,

Unfortunately I'm a complete newbie, but I may be able to share some info of interest to you. I finally received my new road bike two weeks ago, it was to come with Fulcrum 5's as standard, these are essentially Campags, however the dealer ( Epic Cycles ) told me NOT to fit a Continental tyre on the Fulcrums as it is a real struggle. He, as a top bike shop owner, spent a painful 30 mins trying to prise a Conti tyre onto a Fulcrum rim, and two broken tyre levers to boot !!

Try a different brand like Michelin, Schwalbe, Vittoria or Hutchinson, having said that, I had a right bitch of a time getting Michelin Pro Race 3s on my Eastons, but what a tyre ... like losing 1kg off the bike, wow !!!

Murph

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

the first thing i will say Continental tyres are a pain to get on and campag rims as well are the same i found the best typre to get on a campag rim was Vredestein fortezza

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

the first thing i will say Continental tyres are a pain to get on and campag rims as well are the same i found the best typre to get on a campag rim was Vredestein fortezza

For what it's worth, I have a set of Campag wheels and although I've read about people having problems getting the tyres onto them, I've never experienced this myself. I have only ever used them with Michelin - Pro2 and Krylion.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I don't know. I've got two sets of Campag and one set of Fulcrum wheels at home and I only use Continental tyres. I got a pair of Gatorskins off Fulcurm R7's last night and onto Campag Khamsins in ten minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

I too have Continental tyres on my wheels , murder to get on, 'cause I don't use tyre levers putting on a new tube ( only removing the old one) . However , on the plus side the are very puncture resistant compared to the Michelins I had on previously . So , all things weighed up , I will put up with the hardship on the side of the road of a difficult tyre change against the frequency of punctures with my old Michelins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭amjon

Thanks for all the replys guys.Burst another tube this morning,heading out to a bike shop now to see what they can do for me.Thanks again.

Advertisement