Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ANYTHING to do in Parkwest (when you have no car)?

• 16-09-2008 11:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭

Apart from getting involved in the INLA (which is not an option) is there anything to do in this god-forsaken place?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

hitch-hike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

get a bus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Cycle somewhere else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

go on the internet.

• Advertisement

become a bar girl called Claudette

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's basically loads of apartments thrown up (the landscaping is cool in fairness) right in the middle of an industrial estate. The residents call it a "business park" ;). Very desolate place

Sure it's practically Cherry Orchard, hardly a great area.

There's a Jackie Skelly's out there, go swimming OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Micmclo, I had considered that, but the fear of water thing prevented me. *shrugs*

I guess in essence that means that there is nothing to do in this hole then.

plenty of rivers become a fish poacher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

You could always look for somewhere else to live!

Or you could form some sort of local community group...a book club or ladies craft group?

You could become a vigilante on a one-woman crusade during the dark (k)night. :p

• Advertisement

thats a great idea

if you were in college you would try the local clubs and societies

given its kildare you need to go to some social places

why dont you try macra na feirme - and via the local organiser go to a few of their get togethers

http://www.macra.ie/

once you make a few friends you will have no problem getting around

the same is true of things like fianna fail - its great crack and the former constituency of charlie mccreevey

only really lonely and sad people go to fine gael - that crowd cant even organize a tent at a race meeting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

CD, you do know where Parkwest is, right?

I am a Macra member, working on a project with the Co. Secretary at the moment, but that's not much good to me Monday-Friday. I'm not going to be in Parkwest long, it's just ridiculously boring, and town is too awkward to be a daily thing.

I'd rather eat my own face than touch FF.

Yep do. I imagine its bleak enough.

I go down there to meet clients.

My first job was in Bray years back.Then I emigrated so I am older.

A few tips -but firstly -even an FF dance is preferable to staying in alone and I suspect that you go home or to Dublin every weekend making it harder to meet anyone locally.Even staying the odd weekend and planning to do things for a weekend.Thats a challenge.

So thats what you have to do get locally connected and that takes being diligent.

Get hold of a local directory general area and local paper freesheet and see what clubs,societies ,organisations there are in your area.and what they have coming up.Also check out the local shops,newsagents etc for any kindoff gathering you might even have a vague interest in.

The same for things like Comhaltas Irish music and dancing etc - go along once and if you dont like it drop it.

Same at work. If there is a social club find out who organises it. Meet them and ask if there is anything coming up like quiznights etc. IF you are new people may not think to ask you. Dont be afraid to say you find it a bit lonely in the area. Everyone experiences that and they will be only too happy to introduce you around.

If you are a graduate-contact your old college Graduate placement office and ask if they know of anyone living/working in Parkwest - they might say there are 10 in Meteor. Also-your old secondary schol Principal may know of others-especially Teachers who might have moved to the area..

One I have seen used is a guy put up notices in local business noticebords looking for a lift to Roscommon for the odd weekend -sharing petrol expenses of course. He got the receptionists to put them up in notice boards and it worked fairly well.

Check out the local schools for classes and library for bookclubs history groups etc.

All you need is 4 or 5 friends and you are off.

Cyril Cusack the actor once said "shyness is the illness of youth" so you will need to open your mouth people will be as shy of you as you are of them.

Advertisement