Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

job losses in the cork independant

Options
  • 17-09-2008 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Mate of mine who works in the Cork Independant said the editor was fired there yesterday. and more to come. Big wigs came over from Galway and told the remaining two journolists that it was his job or theirs. Morale gone through the floor. Limerick paper has already been sold off. only a matter of time, they said.:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Interesting. I like the paper although lately there has been a huge increase in biased property features (financed by builders no doubt) "Theres never been a better time to buy!!!!!"

It carries a lot of advertising and is widely available in Cork. I'm surprised that its not profitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Its a pile of crap and a waste of paper. Get them all jobs in the fast food industtry and everyone will be happy. Less paper wasted and shopkeepers wioll not have to waste their time going to their office every thursday to demand they not drop papers into them every week.

Not to mentyion half the n'news' stories are lifted from the echo and a few random words are changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Great, so that means we're left with just the Evening Echo, a glorified village newsletter mouthpiece owned by Rupert Murdoch wannabees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

tbh it was a complete rag, propped up by copy and paste function surprised it dragged on for this long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 milliemadra

They are really feelling the pinch with the recession and sold limerick paper for just one euro i heard. The buyers must have been ripped off. They have to take over the debts though, estimatted to be about a million times the selling price. They are trying to flog galway as well, but this is no way to treat us.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

So...how do you want to be treated?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Coffea

gimmick wrote: »
    Not to mentyion half the n'news' stories are lifted from the echo and a few random words are changed.

Both publications would receive the same press releases so it's unsurprising that some of the content would be similar.

The standard of journalism is very good considering they don't have the same resources as TCH at their fingertips!!

I would be very sorry to see it go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

thejuggler wrote: »
    lately there has been a huge increase in biased property features (financed by builders no doubt)
    Property features are always biased - it's pure advertising. You're never gonna see a review of a house saying "don't go near it - it's a dump". Advertising is the Cork Independent's only source of revenue - not surprised things are volatile at the moment.

Advertisement