Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

source code control question

Options
  • 17-09-2008 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys/Gals!

I have a questions about source code control which is really bugging me and a friend of mine.

The 2 of us have decided to work on a few 'personal' projects together but are finding it quite difficult to set up a kind of source code control platform that allows us to have the ability to share code without any data inconsistencies.

We basically need something like SourceSafe that can run of one/bot of our machines without having to pay any money for hosting etc. We have tried a VPN using Microsoft Sourcesafe but we are having problems with me connecting to his VPN who has windows server running on a separate pc on his home network.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how we would do this in a simple manner? We have found it difficult to find any software that we could host on one of our machines ( he has a spare pc which runs windows server '08) that would allow me to checkin/checkout code versions without code inconsistencies!

Hopefully someone can offer some advice on this!

Any advise is greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Neil

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭marktsang

subversion - free and open source

tortoiseSVN - open source windows GUI for subversion

both execellent and free

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

@markstang
    Thanks for the reply but the problem is not choosing the source control sw but the setup involving remotely accessing the repository.

A more detailed explanation of the networking problem can be found here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055369813

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

Sean^DCT4 wrote: »
    @markstang
    Thanks for the reply but the problem is not choosing the source control sw but the setup involving remotely accessing the repository.

A more detailed explanation of the networking problem can be found here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055369813

Thanks.

If you use Subversion coupled with Apache and WebDAV then you don't need a VPN.

http://subversion.tigris.org/webdav-usage.html

We use this type of setup with multiple developers who all work remotely against multiple source code repositories.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

The 2 of us have decided to work on a few 'personal' projects together but are finding it quite difficult to set up a kind of source code control platform that allows us to have the ability to share code without any data inconsistencies.

We basically need something like SourceSafe that can run of one/bot of our machines without having to pay any money for hosting etc.

Have you looked into solving this problem with a distributed version control system?
    svn, cvs, sourcesafe (afaik) are client server.

Something like Git might be a better fit for your requirements; maybe check it out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Team Foundation Server also works over the web similar to the way Subversion works,

Its pretty sweet actually. I am home working today and I am connected to the TFS box without needing VPN access.

Works out of the box over port 8080

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

Ginger wrote: »
    Team Foundation Server also works over the web similar to the way Subversion works,

Its pretty sweet actually. I am home working today and I am connected to the TFS box without needing VPN access.

Works out of the box over port 8080

TFS is actually pretty expensive to license whereas subversion if free, as is TortoiseSVN and Apache which you can use to make it accessible to SVN clients over the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Ooops didnt realise licenses were an issue.. should actually read the posts sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

cheers for the replies guys!

Atm, im working on getting subversion working while SeanDCT is trying to get the VPN working!

Im having probs accessing the apache server now from outside my lan!! always something! thought i set it up properly but something musnt be right on the router!

cheers again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

i know google code provide a subversion repository for your project. Could nearly use this. Don't know what it's like or how well it works but worth having a look into it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement