Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you start?

Options
  • 17-09-2008 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭

Basically just wondering how you got into building PC's?

Its something that has always interested me but I've never actually made the leap to trying to build my own PC as I've been worried that I wouldn't be able to do it/mess it up and would have wasted a lot of money on components that are now useless to me.

The main thing that has put me off is motherboards. Not just trying to get everything connected properly but the actual motherboard itself for some odd reason... :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

I remember when I was about 10 or so my Dad took me with him when he went to buy a new motherboard, and I thought it must be some sort of spaceship :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭karasu

when i bought my first pc, first thing i did was voiding my warranty and and dissasembling it :D

then i assembled it again ;P

and put screws that were loose into string bag.

when you are fixing computers, do you find loose screws after your close the chasis? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I have just signed up for this course at Dundalk IT. €200 for 10 two hour classes, could be money well spent. Probably are similar courses around the country.

http://www.learn.ie/www/product.asp?pID=45&cID=6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

When my ma got an old P120 with a whopping 8MB ram... Think it lasted 2 days before I took the cover off to see what was going on underneath...
    A few months later on I bought an extra 32MB ram for it, and from then on I've been hooked on upgrades:p

Did work experience in a computer shop as part of a course about 8 years ago, and was pretty much their PC building monkey for a couple of months... I still miss that job actually:o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Frisbee wrote: »
    Basically just wondering how you got into building PC's?

Its something that has always interested me but I've never actually made the leap to trying to build my own PC as I've been worried that I wouldn't be able to do it/mess it up and would have wasted a lot of money on components that are now useless to me.

The main thing that has put me off is motherboards. Not just trying to get everything connected properly but the actual motherboard itself for some odd reason... :P

There are some good "How To Geek Articles" you can read as a starting point:

Build Your Own PC Part 1: (Choosing Hardware)

Build Your Own PC Part 2: (Putting it Together)

Build Your Own PC Part 3: (Setting it UP)

Build Your Own PC Part 4: (Installing Windows or Linux)

Build Your Own PC Part 5: (Tweaking Your New Computer)

You should check out Youtube too for some visual guides. TRY HERE

I love all the previous comments, especially the one about the "Spaceship" :D

They're all so true.

You can be stumped by the fear of the unknown alone.

Read a little bit.

Watch a few videos.

Ask as many questions as you deem necessary to help you feel comfortable with it all (regardless of how stupid you may think the questions are).

We all had to start somewhere.

Good luck! ;)

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I posted on here just over four years ago asking people what they thought of the spec of the Dell machine I was going to order. I was persuaded by the multitude of replies informing me that I could get a much better machine if I built it myself. So after asking around a bit I had a nice spec, ordered most of the bits off the german website Jes Computer and within a month had a top of the line gaming rig that still serves me well today.
    My advice: Just do it. It's very easy and you won't break anything unless you step on it or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

i got a mobo for free from my uncle at christmas for sorting out his computer for him, been meaning to build a pc since then, broke my main pc at the start of august and decided it was time to build, only problem is getting the cash to buy the parts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

always played with lego....created a technical mind within me....always liked taking things appart to see how they worked, needed a computer at one stage, my friend built a computer before, so i figured it couldnt be hard. and it wasnt

Advertisement