Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to free Dublin?

Options
  • 17-09-2008 2:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

Years ago I picked up a guide in a tourist office in Dublin with a walking map for a list of free museums/galleries etc. Is there something like this around these days? There's plenty of websites but can't find anything that brings these attractions together so handily.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

there is culture ireland in the Sunday times.

mindya - galleries and museums are closed on bank holidays which means that publically funded buildings are closed to working people whose hard earned taxes pay for them.

this is outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

can't remember if it has walking tours in it ... but when I went into the Stephens Green shopping center a month or two back ... there was a handy enough map in the entrance with most of the major attractions. Map is quite handy as well given I just moved up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

CDfm wrote: »

mindya - galleries and museums are closed on bank holidays which means that publically funded buildings are closed to working people whose hard earned taxes pay for them.

this is outrageous.

The National museum is closed every monday, not just bank holidays. The staff there need a day off too, they also work and pay taxes.
    Anyway, surely the 'hard working people' would be in work on mondays anyway, no? ;)

OP, have you gone back to a tourist office to see if they still have a similar guide?

Here's a reasonably good list to get you started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

this is outrageous.

And yet they are open all day Saturday and all day Sunday,
    do you work those too ?

http://www.dublinks.com/index.cfm/loc/19/pt/16.htm
    http://www.museum.ie/en/list/calendar-of-events.aspx
    http://www.dublintourist.com/directory/places_to_visit/museums_and_galleries/
    http://www.cbl.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Thaedydal wrote: »
    And yet they are open all day Saturday and all day Sunday,

Tuesday - Saturday: 10:00 - 17:00
    Sunday: 14:00 - 17:00

:pac:

• Advertisement

I#ve been in town before 2 on a sunday so never noticed.

Thaedydal -that was uncalled fer - im hurt

no but seriousley-really i have a lot of commitments home and workwise that means getting to these venues on anytime other than bank holidays is a bit of a non starter other than bank holidays.

I think galleries are closed on bank holidays to keep them exclusive to a small few- elitist that is. LIke a lot of Art.

when places like galleries and libraries first were provided
    in the 19th century it was about raising public enlgihtenment

i wanna be enlightened -culture for the masses- at the moment seeing a campbells soup can on a supermarket shelf on a bank holiday is as good as it gets.

http://www.culturenight.ie/

Well then how will this suit you it's this friday ?
    About Culture Night

Dublin’s first Culture Night took place in 2006 as an initiative led by Temple Bar Cultural Trust in association with the Council of National Cultural Institutions and supported by the Department of Arts, Sport and Tourism, to provide a new and imaginative route for people of all ages to connect with the arts and cultural life of the city.

Since then Culture Night has grown to include over 100 of the city’s arts and cultural organisations with the vast majority opening until 11pm and their very own free events programme for young and old, which is expected to attract in excess of 100,000 people this year.

Culture Night has also captured the imagination of a wide range of supporters across the city including Dublin City Council, Fáilte Ireland, Dublin Bus, Luas, Dart and local businesses, who have joined forces with the arts and cultural community to create a new vision for the city of Dublin, albeit for one night only, that is transformed by arts and culture and the sense of magic and discovery that comes with exploring a city by night!

As Culture Night extends to other cities across Ireland this year in Cork, Limerick and Galway so too does the opportunity for you to make the journey to your nearest city to participate in an adventurous night of culture!

Gráinne Millar, Director, Culture Night

Lots of people have busy lifes and families, I often bring my kids into the musems and galleries for a look about, they both really enjoy it.

It's there you just have to make the effort and plan to go, really all it costs is bus fare.

Im doing friday night

I thought this kind of stuff only happened in the Waltons

when my kids were younger I used to bring them to all those places

Much mirth at the Warhol retrospective in IMMA as I explained to a gallery person that the instalation clouds (helium type pillow shaped ballons and fans) was interactive as the artist intended. Well if your kids dont stop you will have to leave. A lot of balloons got hit that day.

Happy times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Also museums closed on a Monday is pretty normal on the continent(countries close for entire months over there, been in France in August?).

Its great here in London, the British went off stole a load of stuff from around the world and I can go see it for free and there is a ton of other free stuff all the time :P

Someone did attempt to do a similar thing to londonisfree.com for Dublin though:
    http://www.freedublin.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

galleries and museums are closed on bank holidays which means that publically funded buildings are closed to working people whose hard earned taxes pay for them.

this is outrageous.
    It's hardly 'outrageous'!

If they opened on Bank Holidays, the staff would be entitled to premium pay and a day off in lieu. Nothing wrong with that IMO but others would then whinge about the venue having to close on another day and about 'fat cat' public servants pay etc. Much more efficient all round that they close on a BH as they are 'publicly funded'.

The Civil Service is 'publicly funded' but you'd hardly expect the Dept of Social Welfare to be open on a Bank Holiday!

...and as has been said, the staff of museums pay their tax too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Thanks for the links, I'll check out the addresses of the various museums etc and mark them on a google map and print that.

That guide that I got before was a real eye-opener, I remember. Had walked past places I never knew existed.

It's hardly 'outrageous'!

If they opened on Bank Holidays, the staff would be entitled to premium pay and a day off in lieu. Nothing wrong with that IMO but others would then whinge about the venue having to close on another day and about 'fat cat' public servants pay etc. Much more efficient all round that they close on a BH as they are 'publicly funded'.

The Civil Service is 'publicly funded' but you'd hardly expect the Dept of Social Welfare to be open on a Bank Holiday!

...and as has been said, the staff of museums pay their tax too.
    lazy good for nothin layabouts look where they work -everydays a holiday

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

lazy good for nothin layabouts look where they work -everydays a holiday

:confused:

Advertisement