Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Manchester United vs Villarreal - CL Group Stage Round 1 (17/09)

• 17-09-2008 9:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭

This is going to be a tough game, but I expect Fergie to have them very fired up and raring to put the Liverpool performance behind them. Carrick is out and Berbatov and Brown are doubtful.

The team Id like to see presuming Berba and Brown are fit would be

VDS
    -Brown -Rio Vidic-- Paddy
    ----Anderson--Hargreaves--
    Tevez---Rooney---Nani
    Berbatov

Start Ronaldo on the bench, will be interesting to see will there be any rendition of Viva Ronaldo tonight.

EDIT: Forgot Scholes was suspended

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Heard Berbatov is a doubt for the game tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Tauren wrote: »
    Yeah heard Fergie said he has some swelling of the knee (as opposed to Ronaldos swelling of the ego! :) )

Any word on Evra? Heard he had concussion yesterday but I didnt hear Fergie mention it anywhere.

Evra was training with the team yesterday too - so no idea what the story is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Balls he's my CL fantasy football captain :mad:, was looking forward to him banging in one tonight

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I think it will be a draw for some reason.

1-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

+1, 1-1 for me too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Is everyone forgetting that Scholes is suspended tonight.

So my Guess is

VDS
    Brown-Rio-Vidic-Evra
    ----Hargo--Ando----
    -Tevez--Rooney--Nani-
    Berbatov

We have to start this game well. After the Liverpool game is start off slow, and Villarreal get into the game and threaten us then you could nerves coming in, and another bad performance.

Balls, totally forgot about that. Anderson and Hargreaves centre midfield?

Heres the full squad for tonight:

Manchester United (from): Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Foster, Brown, Neville, R Da Silva, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evans, O'Shea, Evra, F Da Silva, Ronaldo, Nani, Hargreaves, Anderson, Possebon, Fletcher, Park, Giggs, Tevez, Rooney, Berbatov, Manucho, Welbeck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

boooooooo..............

yes :(

no - in fact only one person mentioned him in a team sheet for tonight!

I'd go:

................VDS

Brown.....Rio...Vidic...Evra

Nani....Fletcher...Hargreaves..Anderson

.........Rooney.....Tevez.

Question marks over Brown and Evra - and Hargreaves as always.

Given that team, i'd like to see the following bench:

Tommy K (Foster if fit)
    O'Shea
    Evans
    Gibson
    Ronaldo
    Manucho
    Giggs

If Berbatov is fit, not sure what I would do. Well, I would drop Rooney to the bench, but Fergie won't so it would probably be either Nani or Anderson to miss out to accomodate him.

• Advertisement

no - in fact only one person mentioned him in a team sheet for tonight!
    I'd go:

................VDS

Brown.....Rio...Vidic...Evra

Nani....Fletcher...Hargreaves..Anderson

.........Rooney.....Tevez.

Question marks over Brown and Evra - and Hargreaves as always.

Given that team, i'd like to see the following bench:

Tommy K (Foster if fit)
    O'Shea
    Evans
    Gibson
    Ronaldo
    Manucho
    Giggs

If Berbatov is fit, not sure what I would do. Well, I would drop Rooney to the bench, but Fergie won't so it would probably be either Nani or Anderson to miss out to accomodate him.

That'd be me, Ted! :p

Would be nice to see Manucho get his debut at some point tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

That'd be me, Ted! :p

Would be nice to see Manucho get his debut at some point tonight.

Could be nice at him getting on the pitch would probably mean either

a) we are winning comfortably
    or
    b) we are losing badly and need somebody apart from O'Shea to throw up front

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Yeah heard Fergie said he has some swelling of the knee (as opposed to Ronaldos swelling of the ego! :)

"I'm sorry, Cristiano, but...it's incurable. There's nothing we can do now but try and make you comfortable"

We were so awful against Liverpool, I'm nervous about this match. We need a big performance from Rooney and Berbatov. And for VDS to be good VDS, not bad VDS.

Could be nice at him getting on the pitch would probably mean either

a) we are winning comfortably
    or
    b) we are losing badly and need somebody apart from O'Shea to throw up front
    Option A please! :)

A big night for VDS tonight imo, anymore glaring mistakes and his place in the starting 11 would have to be questioned.

Tom65 wrote: »
    "I'm sorry, Cristiano, but...it's incurable. There's nothing we can do now but try and make you comfortable"

We were so awful against Liverpool, I'm nervous about this match. We need a big performance from Rooney and Berbatov. And for VDS to be good VDS, not bad VDS.
    How do you make a slave feel comfortable thought that is the question! :pac:

I said this in the superthread but I really hopes Hargreaves starts tonight and gets a run of games together. Its all the more important now that Carrick is out for 6 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I'd absolutely love for Villareal to cause an upset, they are a such a great club. The entire city is only 50,000, there will be more supporters at OT than people in their home town.

Goalkeepers: Diego Lopez and Viera.
    Defenders: Javi Venta, Gonzalo, Godin, Cygan, Ángel, Capdevila and Fuentes.
    Midfielders: Marcos Senna, Edmilson, Eguren, Pires, Santi Cazorla, Mati Fernández, Ibagaza, Bruno and Cani..
    Forwards: Guille Franco and Llorente.

Probable line-up;

Lopez

---Venta
    Godin
    Cygan
    Capedevila--

Senna
    Edmilson

---Ibagaza
    Pires
    Cazorla----

Llorente

Unfortunately they are missing their best two forwards in Rossi and Nihat.. That means they'll suffer and probably won't get anything but still, Ibagaza is the one player to really look out for. Most people won't know him because he played for Mallorca last year but he is quality.

Also, with Capedevila, Senna and Cazorla they have 3 European cup winners, and then they are not short of experience with the likes of Javi Venta, Pires and a good ex-Madrid keeper in Diego Lopez..

Should be an excellent game, I'd say United should win, considering Villareal are playing their back-up strikers, but I'd love Villareal to cause an upset. I'd say it'll be a comfortable 2-1 though, with Villareal's goal coming towards the end.

However in Pellegrini they have one of the best young managers in the world, so you never know... UP THE YELLOW SUBMARINE!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

VDS

Brown--Ferdinand--Vidic--Evra

Hargreaves--Anderson--Nani

---Rooney
    Tevez--

Berbatov

Now that would be a serious attacking side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

eZe^ wrote: »
    I'd absolutely love for Villareal to cause an upset, they are a such a great club. The entire city is only 50,000, there will be more supporters at OT than people in their home town.

I really like Villareal, I'd like them to come 2nd.

I'm extremely disappointed Rossi is out. I doubt he will ever realise how liked he was by the majority of United fans, and tonight would have been a good chance to give him a good reception to show our appreciation.
    This is the same reason I'd love to draw Madrid at some point, give Ruud the send off that he deserves.

---

Tonights game will all depend on our balance imo. We have the quality, its the balance that is needed. Luckily, our most balanced midfield pairing imo picks itself tonight due to injuries and suspensions, in the form of Hargreaves and Anderson. I think after that, the front four will work no matter who plays.
    A good win for us imo, seeing a response from Liverpool. The worst time to play United is when they've just been beaten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

and the best time to play Utd is after international breaks!

Id like to see:

Assuming injuries to Berba and Carrick, Schioles suspension and Vidic being suspended for Sat
    PIG
    (VDS needs a wake up call)
    Neville--Rio--Brown--Evra (get some gametime ahead of Sat with Vida suspended)
    Fletch--Ando--Hargo--Nani
    ---Tevez--Rooney

with the bench being:
    VDS
    Vidic
    Fabio
    Possebon
    Giggs
    Manucho
    Ronaldo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Why are you not starting Vidic...?

Dave! wrote: »
    Why are you not starting Vidic...?

Cos Gary Neville played like a man who needs games against Zenit and I wouldnt want to be relying on anything from him at Stamford Bridge at that rate. If tonight gave him even a bit of sharpness itd help for Sunday. I think we can get away without Vidic tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭BlueBandit

Not at all sure how hell line them out for tonight, could be a suprise Ronaldo in from the start. Will make a wild stab at formation but just guesing really

VDS

Brown Vidic Ferdinand Evra

Fletcher Hargreaves Anderson

Rooney Berbartov Tevez

Played in some sort of bastardized 442 with Ronaldo starting aswell. Nice to have options. Reckon theyll put on a show tonight after the pox fest at Anfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭corban

rumours from ot is fergie has dropped eddie van der sar and ronnie starts!!

Now see i wouldn't be TOO disappointed if Edwin was dropped - but only if it was Foster coming in. Tommy K isn't even as good as an off-form ven der Sar imo - even less commanding on crosses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

According to SSN, Berbatov isn't there either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

VDS

Giggs--Hargreaves--Anderson--Nani

Rooney

Berbatov

I know a lot of people don't really want to see Giggs tonight, but I think this line up would utilise the big forward more than any other. I could see a 2-0 win or better for United playing this sytem. If Ronaldo is fit to start it makes a huge difference and I'd see it more like this.

VDS

--Hargreaves----Anderson----Nani

Rooney---Ronaldo

Berbatov

I'm really looking forward to this game, the best tie of the first week imo. Villarreal are a top side, the win at the Nou Camp last season was brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Team:

van der Sar

Neville
    Evra
    Evans
    Ferdinand

Hargreaves
    Fletcher
    Park
    Nani

Tevez
    Rooney

So VDS hasn't been dropped? I'm not entirely comfortable with him or Kuszcak. Is Foster fit?

• Advertisement

I think Alex Ferguson has had another team selection brainfart. Two in a row imo.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think Alex Ferguson has had another team selection brainfart. Two in a row imo.

The only real problem in my opinion is Park in for Anderson - that would be the only change i would really call for.

Indicates Evans may get the nod against Chelsea at the weekend.

Christ, I didn't notice Evans there! Big night for him. So:

---VDS---
    Neville--Evans--Ferdi--Evra
    Nani--Flecther--Hargo--Park
    Rooney---Tevez

That seem right? Have we gone 442?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

both line ups
    lineups.jpg

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Surprised to see VDS keep his place also strange to see Neville handed a start. Surly Evans in is to try to see how he copes with Rio with Sundays match against Chelsea in mind.

corban wrote: »
    rumours from ot is fergie has dropped eddie van der sar and ronnie starts!!

sorry about that the bbc were saying:

1836: Getting a whisper of some big team news afoot at Old Trafford - rumour has it that Manchester United have dropped goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar and Cristiano Ronaldo will start against Villarreal. Blimey.

a big night for evans and neville....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

No Senna for Beeyareal? Confident from Pellegrini, only one holding midfielder there.

eZe^ wrote: »
    No Senna for Beeyareal? Confident from Pellegrini, only one holding midfielder there.

Yea was just gonna mention that. Strange. He msut see United as vulnerable right now (he should too).

i think tonight is a straight competition for a starting berth on Saturday Neville vs Evans, which could be good for us. Nice to see Evans get his chance seein as Nev was absolutely rubbish in the Super Cup.

Pires just said in the interview that if they sit back theyre dead. So yea, theyre goin for it.

i think starting neville tonight is to see how he gets on, if he plays well then he could start against chelsea with brown and ferdinand in the middle....cant see him playing evans against chelski...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Did Brown pick up a knock or something? He obviously wants Neville to get game time before Chelsea, but I would've thought Brown would go to centre back.

corban wrote: »
    i think starting neville tonight is to see how he gets on, if he plays well then he could start against chelsea with brown and ferdinand in the middle....cant see him playing evans against chelski...

Ill tell ya what if Fergie trusts him to have him as the main back up CB after moving Brown in, then he will play if he does well tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Wheres Berbatov??????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

No place for Billo?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Was just watching sportsxchange, Gabby Marcotti reckoned Fergie has decided to risk a bad result tonight in exchange for a full strenght team on Sunday - after all loose against Chelsea and it could all be over already, a draw (even loss) tonight and not that much damage done.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Thats poor form if true I must say, I can see Fergie doing this and then us losing to Chelsea anyways... would be typical really :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

staker wrote: »
    No place for Billo?:eek:
    Borats retarded Brother?

After seeing the teams selected I am going for a Villarreal win. 3-1 I'll go for. I hope I'm wrong, for the fantasy champions league thing.

mike65 wrote: »
    Was just watching sportsxchange, Gabby Marcotti reckoned Fergie has decided to risk a bad result tonight in exchange for a full strenght team on Sunday - after all loose against Chelsea and it could all be over already, a draw (even loss) tonight and not that much damage done.

Mike.

it does make sense, but i expect the only player that refers to is berbatov.... evans/neville is experimenting for sunday....

i think utd need to win this match though to get their heads right..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭niallk

Aww shuggs... Was looking forward to having another look at Berbatov. Where's Brown? If he's gonna treat the match with such little care he may as well have started Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Villiareal at 9/2 on Paddy Power is a very tempting price considering the United team selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Villareal know how to move the ball about anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement