Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Basic motor tax query

Options
  • 17-09-2008 9:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

hi minor predicament all...taking over ownership of a vehicle tomorrow and it has no tax I am buying it off a dealer and have been told I cant tax it til it is in my name which could take a little while, I know I am legally not able to drive it without tax but what is the general view if I have it in the process?? I am wondering if it would not be easier to just keep a loan of the car I have in the meantime til this one is registered in my name, also does anyone know about how long the backlog is in Shannon??- Wouldn't mind some opinions on this I realise they are personal views only??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

I recall when I bought my car,the garage just advised I bring around the sales invoice and any other purchase related documents in the car with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭aingeal_croi

Yeah common sense sort of told me that thanks! I mean I have a car on loan but it is unreasonable to think I can hang on to that til this comes through!! had it four weeks on loan already while trying to find a decent car!! Its insured by me tho and NCT'd so two outta three aint bad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Heroditas

bobmeaney wrote: »
    I recall when I bought my car,the garage just advised I bring around the sales invoice and any other purchase related documents in the car with me.

I did the same nearly a fortnight ago. The garage told me the receipt will be ample proof for a few weeks and the papers should be back within a fortnight.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ask the dealer for the log book there and then and fill it out together and then go post it that day. you will have your log book within 2 weeks and as stated above, carry around the invoive or a copy of it to show you are waiting on the log book to arrive.

or could it be taxed over the net if you have the pin?
    isint the pin the last 6 digits of the vin number or something? but it may be the case that the tax disc will then go to the registered owner and not yourself!

best bet is to carry round the sales invoice until the log book comes out in your name imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭aingeal_croi

thanks all much appreciated, will do as suggested and keep all purchase agreements logs etc!

• Advertisement
Advertisement