Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish author to write new Hitchhiker's Guide book

• 17-09-2008 9:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

From here
    The best-selling children's author Eoin Colfer is heading into a whole new galaxy.

The Wexford writer has been chosen to write a new book in the hugely popular 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' series.

Eight years after the tragically early death of its creator, Douglas Adams, Colfer has been asked by Adams's widow to continue the series of Hitchhiker books that are international bestsellers and have a cult following of millions of readers around the world.

Penguin International will make the announcement of Colfer's appointment in London today.

Douglas Adams's widow Jane Belson was very keen to get Colfer to write the Hitchhiker follow-up because she is a big fan of his Artemis Fowl novels, the best-selling books that have made the former teacher a millionaire.

Described as 'Die Hard with fairies' the Artemis books are a series of fantasy novels starring the teenage criminal mastermind Artemis Fowl who operates in an underworld of fairies and goblins of all sorts policed by the LEPrecons.

Fantasy

Although very different from the Hitchhiker series, they have the same sense of fantasy, humour and adventure.

The new Hitchhiker book that Colfer is writing will be titled 'And Another Thing...' and will be published in October 2009. It will be the sixth in the Hitchhiker series.

The late Douglas Adams said in an interview some time after finishing the fifth book: "I suspect at some point in the future I will write a sixth Hitchhiker book ... I would love to finish Hitchhiker on a slightly more upbeat note. Five seems to be a wrong kind of number, six is a better kind of number."

But he never got to do the sixth book that Colfer will now write.

Ms Belson said yesterday: "I am delighted that Eoin Colfer has agreed to continue the Hitchhiker series. I love his books and could not think of a better person to transport Arthur, Zaphod and Marvin to pastures new. The project has my full support."

Not all Hitchhiker fans will know Colfer, but he seems the perfect writer to take on the Douglas Adams mantle. Colfer has been a fan of Hitchhiker since his schooldays. He said yesterday that "being given the chance to write this book is like suddenly being offered the superpower of your choice.

"For years I have been finishing this incredible (Hitchhiker) story in my head and now I have the opportunity to do it in the real world. It is a gift from the gods."

In London yesterday, Penguin managing director Helen Fraser said: "In 1992 I was lucky enough to be involved in the publication of 'Mostly Harmless' -- Douglas Adams's last volume of 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'. He was an extraordinary writer with an ability to come at the reader from the most unexpected angles, knock them off balance and make them laugh at the same time.

"Eoin Colfer is an inspired choice as Douglas's successor. Eoin burst on the world with his incredibly popular Artemis Fowl series, which is beloved by readers of all ages. He is a huge talent and a fantastically funny writer, and this new book will bring as many new young readers to Douglas Adams's work as it will introduce adults to the brilliance of Eoin Colfer."

Colfer was a primary school teacher in Wexford until he secured the largest ever advance for a children's novel by an unknown author in October 2000 for the first Artemis Fowl book. He hasn't looked back since.

Colfer's first novel, 'Benny and Omar', was an instant bestseller in Ireland and even knocked Harry Potter off the number-one slot on the children's book list here.

Total sales of his Artemis Fowl titles now exceed a staggering 2.8 million copies in Britain and Ireland and over seven million copies worldwide.

His work is published in 41 countries. He has achieved international critical acclaim and is ranked alongside Philip Pullman, Jacqueline Wilson and Anthony Horowitz as one of the world's most popular children's authors.

His commission to write a new Hitchhiker book is likely to be a very lucrative one. But at this stage in his career, already a millionaire several times over, he is unlikely to place much importance on that. He is heading into the Hitchhiker galaxy because he loves the books and he loves writing.

Personally I hope it doesn't happen and I think it's a terrible idea. Douglas Adams's unique sense of humour was what made the series so good. I admit that I haven't read any of Colfer's stuff but I can't imagine he'll be anywhere near as zany as Adams.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭solace

I read a couple of Artemis Fowl books a few years ago. They were alright. By no means were they up to Adams' standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I caught the end of an interview with Colfer on Morning Ireland, was sure whnat the story was, nearly sounded like a film script he was working on. Anyway, I'm suprised. Not sure what would prompt Mrs Adams to make such a decision.

I guess you could look to the James Bond example, John Gardner, Raymond Benson and Sebastian Faulks were comissioned to write novels with success but Bond is generic. HHGTTG is very specific indeed, one mans peculiar vision. Whatever Colfers talents might be they will be a different peculiar vision.

NO!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Artemis Dent?

Not a good idea imo, some things should be just left alone, and this is one of them. We'd all love more Hitch hikers books, but only if they were written by Douglas Adams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

even were Adams still around to do more...
    did Mostly Harmless not tie it all up by killing them all off bar Zaphod??
    If anyone could have written a way around that it was Douglas Adams...but it was a great ending IMO and one which couldn't really have been added to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

even were Adams still around to do more...
    did Mostly Harmless not tie it all up by killing them all off bar Zaphod
    ?? If anyone could have written a way around that it was Douglas Adams...but it was a great ending IMO and one which couldn't really have been added to...
    God forbid anyone who's reading this thread hasn't read the ending as you've now spoilt it for them :)

I suppose they could go with the prequel angle but then the potential for something poor to be created is quite high. It brings to mind those various Blade Runner novels that were written by someone else long after Philip K Dick had died. While they contained familiar characters in a vaguely familiar setting, it just felt wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

malice_ wrote: »
    God forbid anyone who's reading this thread hasn't read the ending as you've now spoilt it for them :)

:o my bad
    malice_ wrote: »
    I suppose they could go with the prequel angle but then the potential for something poor to be created is quite high. It brings to mind those various Blade Runner novels that were written by someone else long after Philip K Dick had died. While they contained familiar characters in a vaguely familiar setting, it just felt wrong!

ya. they should just leave it as is. don't want to sound harsh or anything, but imho it comes to the fact that his wife wants to make a few quid out of it...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Zaph wrote: »
    Artemis Dent?

Not a good idea imo, some things should be just left alone, and this is one of them. We'd all love more Hitch hikers books, but only if they were written by Douglas Adams.

To be fair, the first 2 books were not as good as the radio series, the other books weren't as good as the first two, and the TV series wasn't as good as the books. The computer game was a low point, and the film was a step in the right direction (although I think I'm alone in that view).

So as long as it's not completely s*** it's probably not a bad idea. There's a fair chance that it will be at least as funny as mostly harmless. Look at it like this, Douglas Adams was almost a ghostwriter of himself, so at least let him have a chance.

I would be more in favour of a new radio series or film written by someone else than a new book by same.

As for evil-monkey's point, there is a short story called "Young Zaphod plays it safe" or the like in the Salmon of Doubt. It could go from there.

Advertisement