Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone Know of a good 1 Litre offroader?

Options
  • 17-09-2008 10:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi

I've got my place secure for next years Mongol Rally 2009. Its a Banger Rally were you drive a 1 litre car from London to Mongolia. Its around 10,000 miles in 4 weeks and you drive through deserts, mountain ranges, and all kinds of horrible terrain all in the name of your chosen Charity.

Does Anyone have any suggestions for a good car? Oh and they have just brought in a new rule. The car has to be 10 years old or younger. So 99 and up is all i can work with and you have to buy cheap. Thats another rule.

Possible cars so far... Pajero Junior, Suz Jimmy, Mitz Space Star,
    (Dat Hijet -Impossible to find in Ireland)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

jhcabs wrote: »

Possible cars so far... Pajero Junior, Suz Jimmy, Mitz Space Star,
    (Dat Hijet -Impossible to find in Ireland)

Is the space star not an MPV type car? Wont be any better than a normal car for offroading.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Why does it have to be 1.0?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 scab-e

• Registered Users Posts: 45,536 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Clearly you want one of these:

Best option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jhcabs

It has to be a 1 litre because, the adventure is meant to be as difficult as possible. They brought the rule in during the first year in 2003 (i think) The more slip ups, like digging your car out of the sand or break downs in the middle of nowhere, the more fun its meant to be. If you check out the website you'll see loads of great adventure stories.

stekelly - your probably right about the mitz space star. Someone suggested it to me the other day but haven't had time to look into it more.

• Advertisement

Tauren - I'd love to take one of them but there probably not under ten years old. Shame though about this new rule, its kinda ruining it a bit. The rally organiser have said because of the new rule, they may allow max 1.2l but has to be 99 and up.

The Panda is a great choice, would love to have a 4x4 like that but for €7k plus, it would kinda drawf our Charity donation.

Loving the responses though. Thanks lads

There was an older Panda 4x4, but I think it was pre-99.

In other years, the panda has been pretty popular. The and the Jimmy but i think the post 99 Jimmy is 1.3. I hate this new rule. I really wanted to take a classic

• Registered Users Posts: 68,528 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You *might* be able to get one of the old Panda 4x4's with the 850cc Fiat engine in it from Poland - they were made until 2003 there.

The new one says 1.3 on that ad, but its actually a 1.2 (1242) and you can probably argue a LOT off the price as Panda's depreciate horribly in this country.

MYOB wrote: »
    You *might* be able to get one of the old Panda 4x4's with the 850cc Fiat engine in it from Poland - they were made until 2003 there.

The new one says 1.3 on that ad, but its actually a 1.2 (1242) and you can probably argue a LOT off the price as Panda's depreciate horribly in this country.
    Sounds like a good idea. How would i go about getting that in from Poland? Would it cost much?

• Advertisement

I'm really liking the Panda idea but can't seem to find any on the cheap.

I'm really liking the Panda idea but can't seem to find any on the cheap.
    Have a look at this. It's not that cheap, and the seller admits to having been drunk when he wrote the description, but it does look like what you're looking for...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1989-FIAT-PANDA-SISLEY-4X4-METALLIC-RED-42000-MILES_W0QQitemZ250294866799QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250294866799&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A4%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

subaru justyy was a great 1.0 and 1.2 turbo 4wd...

subaru vivo, suzuki alto diahatsu midget, all 4x4 micro cares which do pretty well off road imvho...
    Anan1 wrote: »
    Have a look at this. It's not that cheap, and the seller admits to having been drunk when he wrote the description, but it does look like what you're looking for...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1989-FIAT-PANDA-SISLEY-4X4-METALLIC-RED-42000-MILES_W0QQitemZ250294866799QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250294866799&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A4%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

he describers that panda as a golf, deffo steer clear ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

10 years too old though.
    OP you're kind of stung. 1.3 would be a better figure to work with.
    You might be better off with some old starlet and raise the suspension, put off road tyres on it and reverse up hills!

That car looks like great fun to drive and would be perfect for last years rally but with the new rule its just too old (18 years). Car has to be 10 years or younger or it won't get over the mongolian border.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,528 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Step 1: Get that 4x4
    Step 2: Get a crashed 1999+ Polski Fiat Panda for a few quid in a breakers in Warsaw
    Step 3: Swap the VIN plates

Not quite legal, but this is how Mini's were imported to the US for years...

Sorry, forgot about the post-99 thing!

Biro wrote: »
    10 years too old though.
    OP you're kind of stung. 1.3 would be a better figure to work with.
    You might be better off with some old starlet and raise the suspension, put off road tyres on it and reverse up hills!

Ha ha :D like the thinking on that one. I put a call into the rally organisers just there about the new rule and they have said that inlight of the new rule they may allow up to max 1.2 so maybe that would give me more choice? would it?

S.I.R wrote: »
    subaru justyy was a great 1.0 and 1.2 turbo 4wd...

subaru vivo, suzuki alto diahatsu midget, all 4x4 micro cares which do pretty well off road imvho... ^^

Can you get these post 99? I've seen a 4x4 Micro for sale which was post 99 but it looked so small, but i can't have my cake and eat it too. Maybe having the extra .2 will help a bit :o

MYOB wrote: »
    Step 1: Get that 4x4
    Step 2: Get a crashed 1999+ Polski Fiat Panda for a few quid in a breakers in Warsaw
    Step 3: Swap the VIN plates

Not quite legal, but this is how Mini's were imported to the US for years...

I wonder could i just buy the car in Poland, bring it back to Ireland to get it ready and then bring it to the Start point in London. Sure when the Car reaches Mongolia its going to be Auctioned off for Charity anyway. (Thats if it makes it) Its just, i'll have so many border crossings along the way. Might look a bit dodgey with an Irish Passport and a Polish Car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

wasn't there a Subaru Justy 4x4 based on a suzuki swift?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

From a reading of the rules the 1 litre rule is a little unclear;
    From the Official Website
    3. The 1 Litre Rule:

You can only use a car with an engine of 1 litre or less. If you want to go on a motorbike (ideally a scooter) they are limited to under 125cc. We're an amicable bunch though, so if you're desperate to use something bigger you can be accommodated, but you will be fined £100 for every 0.1 litre above the limit, payable straight to the charities

Does the £100 fine for every 0.1 litre apply only to motorbikes?

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    From a reading of the rules the 1 litre rule is a little unclear;

Does the £100 fine for every 0.1 litre apply only to motorbikes?
    No, the 100 fine is for both cars and motorbikes. I know its not much to pay but even having to pay any fine is frowned upon be the organizers. Besides i'd like to see if i can stick to the 1.2 max. It addeds to the adventure making it more difficult.

I know the rule is a bit unclear but that's only because the mongolian Goverment decided that they probably had enough old cars coming in and wanted a few new ones. I only heard about the rule last month and i've wanted to do this rally for nearly 2 years

They'll probably auction off for more being newer adding to the total raised which would be really good too.

Mailman wrote: »
    wasn't there a Subaru Justy 4x4 based on a suzuki swift?
    yeah the justy is available for 1996 - 2002 in 4x4 but its 1.3. Its another good one that i never heard of though so thanks dude. Its good to have these options so keep them coming. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

yeah the justy is available for 1996 - 2002 in 4x4 but its 1.3. Its another good one that i never heard of though so thanks dude. Its good to have these options so keep them coming. Cheers

Suzuki Jimny and take the 100 euro fine is what I'd do

Are engine transplants etc allowed?

Vegeta wrote: »
    Suzuki Jimny and take the 100 euro fine is what I'd do

Are engine transplants etc allowed?
    I don't know if they are allowed. I was wondering that about that one myself, but would that not just end up costing me a lot more. I'm not a Machanic so i have no idea where to start.

I was thinking about the Jimny, never actually drove one myself but i've heard really bad things about them realiablity wise. Is that true, like would it make it all the way to Ulan Baatar without falling apart. Space wise it looks very small too. There will be three of us but we plan to travel light, (Very Light)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

S.I.R wrote: »
    subaru vivo, suzuki alto diahatsu midget, all 4x4 micro cares which do pretty well off road imvho...

Would have to disagree, city cars won't cope well offroad, thet don't have the suspension travel to cope with rough roads and off roading.

I'd suggest a:

Mitsubishi Pajero Junior (1094cc) or Pajero Mini (699cc)

Suzuki SJ410 (999cc)

Pajero junior is prob the only one you'll get under 10 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I don't mean to drag this thread off topic but does anyone know if you can still get a place on the Mongol Rally 2009? I've had my name on the list for a while to get a spot in London but I haven't heard anything. Does anyone know if the waiting list actually moves at all. I applied with only half a notion of doing it but now it looks like I can swing the time off work so I'm mad to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

subaru justy??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Niloc

yeh, im doing the rally this year too, team nano madness

we're looking at either a mitsubishi junour/mini, a suzuki jimny or a dihatsu terrios. the latter two are both 1.3s but we can strech to this if we cant find a suitable mitsubishi.

to Ronnie3585, yeh i was on the waiting list for a while and then i got my spot, but that was two months ago. i'd doubt if any more places will come up at this stage, but my car isnt full so if you want in on a team i cud possibly sort you out

Advertisement