Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Championships

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

in fairness to eurosport they have no control over the pictures, and can only give us whatever info the (presumably) italian director gives them. was frustrating though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Not up to Europsort, they were as frustrated as anybody with the coverage.

Did Martin crash or have a puncture or something? He ended up 40 secs down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Not going to spoil anything, but fuk me the women race was one of the best I've seen. If you didn't just watch it, check out the highlights later -some superb racing on show!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

Yup - great race. Hopefully something similar tomorrow

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Not going to spoil anything, but fuk me the women race was one of the best I've seen. If you didn't just watch it, check out the highlights later -some superb racing on show!

Was it on Eurosport. I checked the listings earlier and I thought they weren't showing it?

• Advertisement

el tonto wrote: »
    Was it on Eurosport. I checked the listings earlier and I thought they weren't showing it?

Yup, eurosport were showing it from about 2.30...

Tomorrow Eurosport start coverage at 9am, and BBC do from 9.30 (on the 'red button' whatever that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Orizio wrote: »
    Not up to Europsort, they were as frustrated as anybody with the coverage.

Did Martin crash or have a puncture or something? He ended up 40 secs down.

Yea thought it was strange that he was closing the gap and then ...well nothing...?

Womens race was absolutely superb - if the mens is half as good tomorrow I'll be a happy man. Great performance by Siobhan Dervan aswell - very respectable..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

A few thoughts in relation to the Irish team’s selection for the World Championships and David McCann’s rant via Shane Stokes on what’s probably Ireland’s most popular cycle sport website recently (irishcycling.com):

It’s ironic to hear McCann going on about feeling like he’s been robbed of the best result of his life by his non selection for the time trial event. He was caught using a prohibited substance and served a ban from the UCI a few years back ( http://www.rte.ie/sport/2002/0907/mccannd.html ). How many honest riders have been racing against him and ‘robbed’ during his sporting career when he was over the limit using performance enhancing substances?

McCann said himself that there ‘had been no communication of any sort’ – communication is a two way thing so a seasoned international campaigner like himself could have let Cycling Ireland be aware of his intentions and condition too.

Regarding the subsequent letter on the site from Gerald Francis, an irishcycling.com reader, criticising Philip Deignan’s selection for the Olympics and Worlds – Deignan is a pro tour team rider and constantly rides with the top international competitors. There has to be some merit in the fact that if you ride at Pro Tour level week in week out you should be a better rider, Deignan didn’t get a place on a Pro Tour team from a lucky dip bag.

I believe Mr. Francis’ comment on Daniel Martin’s ‘Irishness’ was also unwarranted and unwelcome (posted on the very day that Martin was competing in the Worlds). Us Irish should be encouraging Daniel Martin not questioning his nationality. We are lucky such a talent declared for Ireland. In advance of the Championships, Daniel was probably our best medal prospect.

Contary to Mr. Francis’ views, thankfully it appears the number of Irish races you ride does not appear to be a strict selection condition as it is nonsense.

To conclude; Irish cycling teams’ selection criteria referred to could well be more transparent and may require more definition in the future, but the selectors were surely looking at the best interests of cycling in Ireland and it’s future development when they made their choices.

The editors and journalists of irishcycling.com must have a duty to act in the best interests of the sport in Ireland – think of our athletes reading these articles and letters before they compete. Also, think of the message it send to newcomers to the sport.

Perhaps a better time to trash these matters out is at the Cycling Ireland AGM and not on websites the week of the World Championships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭amjon

Novice question here:how come Italy had 10 men in their road race team but Ireland only had 3?Is there a quota placed on teams or is it just left to the various counties to pick their most compeditive combination?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

amjon wrote: »
    Novice question here:how come Italy had 10 men in their road race team but Ireland only had 3?Is there a quota placed on teams or is it just left to the various counties to pick their most compeditive combination?

Each country earns the right to have more riders by being successful. They can choose whatever riders they want. I think.
    Here are the rules, if you can figure them out...
    http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/getObject.asp?MenuId=MTkzNg&ObjTypeCode=FILE&type=FILE&id=NDAzMDY&

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭amjon

Raam wrote: »
    Each country earns the right to have more riders by being successful. They can choose whatever riders they want. I think.
    Here are the rules, if you can figure them out...
    http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/getObject.asp?MenuId=MTkzNg&ObjTypeCode=FILE&type=FILE&id=NDAzMDY&

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Slideshow Bob, thats a very official looking post and it appears that you joined just to post it. Mentions of AGM's, referring to people as "Mr" plus an awareness of McCann's communication or lack thereof with the relevant parties. Part of Cycling Ireland are we or at least involved in the sport in some sort of official capacity ?

Not criticising, I agree with what you say 100%. Just seems like the kind of response that Cycling Ireland would like to put up on IrishCycling but cannot (due to a couple of low - but seemingly justified - blows against Mccann).

Just to confirm - I am not an official in Cycling Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

I agree with you Slideshowbob. The letter in irishcycling was from someone rather uninformed I'd say. So, IMO, wasn't actually worth publishing. Peter should have known better.

My opinion was that the selections made were all legitimate. I don't know why McCann wasn't entered in the TT though. If there was a slot available, he should have been in there. Paul Healion might have something to say about that though.

However, I think you ought to research McCann's ban. IIRC, there was a very legitimate reason for him to have claimed innocence; a nutrition supplement he used had an undisclosed ingredient.

Here, it didn't take long to find:

"Laboratory tests showed a legal glutamine supplement he was using contained norandrosterone not listed on the label. This evidence led to him being given the minimum allowed six month suspension and fined 2000 Swiss Francs."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I saw the last bit of the Women's Road Race. Nicole Cook's sprint = amazing. Glad she's getting to wear that Champion Jersey.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Honestly lads, you're all worse than a bunch of Fianna Failers arguing over which County Councillor gets the the third slot on the Galway West ticket.

Oh, and Ballan's attack was awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Yes, it was brilliant to watch. I really enjoyed the whole race :)

Agreed.... great race!

So the best Irish showings were:

1) Martin
    1) Dervan

Disappointing:

1) Womens' TT results
    2) Roche crashing
    3) Martin's strong ride not paying off

• Advertisement

Hi Dave2pvd,

That's interesting about the supplement containing norandrosterone - where exactly did you source that information from?

If that was all there was to it - why didn't he go after the supplement manufacturer or go to the Court of Arbitration for Sport if he was innocent and had a solid case?

Hi Dave2pvd,

That's interesting about the supplement containing norandrosterone - where exactly did you source that information from?

If that was all there was to it - why didn't he go after the supplement manufacturer or go to the Court of Arbitration for Sport if he was innocent and had a solid case?

I had recalled the case from a bbc write up. That quote was one I found on wikipedia.

Regarding the appeal: I suspect he didn't have the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Raam wrote: »
    Yes, it was brilliant to watch. I really enjoyed the whole race :)

Ye I thought it was awesome too. Those who know more about the sport might confirm this. Once it was obvious that Bellini wasn't going to win, did it become the Italian plan for Ballan to win which is why the other two Italians attacked so much, in order to tire out the rest in the group?

drogdub wrote: »
    Ye I thought it was awesome too. Those who know more about the sport might confirm this. Once it was obvious that Bellini wasn't going to win, did it become the Italian plan for Ballan to win which is why the other two Italians attacked so much, in order to tire out the rest in the group?

I doubt it. I think in that situation, with three in the break, it's whoever is lucky enough to get away. You take turns attacking and if your attack sticks, then good luck to you.

Cunego and Rebellin would have been the favourites in that kind of situation since the course suited them. Ballan won the only way he could have, by attacking all out a good way from the finish and soloing to the line.

Advertisement