Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of paternity leave: How can we make a difference ?

Options
  • 17-09-2008 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

I have to say i was shocked and horrified to learn that a fathers paternaty leave in this country is only TWO DAYS. How bad and prehistoric is that. In UK when i left it was two weeks, which i now believe has been increased.

How is any father ment to bond to their new born child in only two days. I know they could take holidays but the government should see the importance of having a father at home during the first while. Even in my situation where I had a second c-section and a three year old to look after. At two days i wasnt even out of the hosptial.

Its increadably unfair on fathers and doesnt help with the bonding process. Also unfair on everyone around them, mothers, baby and siblings.

I think its high time the government got their collective fingers out of their collective (places where the sun dont shine) £^&* and made a change. I mean how long has it been since they even looked at that musty old paper that says two days ...... about 50 years?

what do you guys think.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There is legally no such thing as paternity leave in this country.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment/employment-rights-and-conditions/leave-and-holidays/paternity_leave
    Paternity leave is not recognised in employment law in Ireland. In other words, employers are not obliged to grant male employees special paternity leave (either paid or unpaid) following the birth of their child. Annual leave taken following the birth of a child is treated in employment law in the same way as leave taken at any other time of the year. It is at the discretion of the employer to decide who can and cannot take annual leave at a given time.

Some employers in Ireland, (for example, the civil service), do provide a period of paid leave from work for male employees following the birth or adoption of their child. Fathers employed in the civil service are entitled to a period of special (paternal) leave of three days with pay in respect of children born on or after 1 January, 2000 or for children adopted after 1 January 2000.

The employee usually applies for this leave in writing before the birth or adoption. Arrangements where employers provide this type of leave following the birth or adoption of a child are the result of negotiation and agreement reached between the employer and employee. These arrangements are not covered by employment law so if an employer agrees to provide time off to an employee as paternal leave for a specified period (either with or without pay), it is entirely discretionary.

This has come up before;
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055257044

And until people start lobbying for it's is unlikely to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭lolly22

Hey lostinnappies,:)

I totally agree. When my baby was born her dad wasnt even told
    he had two day, he was just told he could have two weeks unpaid leave
    which in the end he had to take as two weeks holidays beacuse unpaid was not a good option for us. I did think it was very unfair.:mad:

I do belive a father bonding with they're new born is just as important as
    a mothers bond and i cant understand why the government wont see that.I felt very bad for her dad when he had to decided what to do as I knew there was nothing I could do.:(

It would be great to see a change ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

SERIOUSLY,not recognised, omg god. Ive never been more ashamed of Ireland.

Right thats it im moving outa this poohole asap.

Personally I won't be leave but do think that we need to be lobbying and pushing for this.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Personally I won't be leave but do think that we need to be lobbying and pushing for this.

absolutly, but where do you start. i have no idea. If i could start a patition and send it in somewhere perhaps they might blink at it, but that might be as far as it goes. You would need publicity to get a proper petition, like a mention on a radio show..... i happen to know someone in radio. then get them to sign a petition on boards.ie and let the government know that its there.
    :cool:
    Although i think the petition intro should be drawn up by perhaps a psycologist (perhaps one is reading) who could tell everyone the stats on having a father present to the child, and how better it would be for the father. I think if I wrote it it would be no stats and all outcry lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There is no paternity leave here but they are entitled to Parental leave same as us.

Civil servants and some others do get 3 days paid paternity leave,this is the best I have heard of.

There are studies on this already out there.

http://www.equality.ie/index.asp?locID=207&docID=283
    and it needs to be on all parties agenda not jus this ones.
    http://www.sinnfein.ie/news/detail/28454

How you make that happen is by lobbying or pestering your T.D. about it
    http://www.oireachtas.ie/ViewDoc.asp?DocId=-1&CatID=138&m=m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's down to the individual employer. I got 2(!) days paid leave and had to take a fortnight out of my annual leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Maybe the feminists will help! They've been screaming for equality for many years now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I got 3 days paid leave also from my employer. However, they have refused my requests for parental leave. They said I can take it some time next year but I should apply a year in advance for it as it will be refused for as long as they legally can.

• Advertisement

I am a feminist and this is an issue I have been pushing for.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

Paternity leave in this country is a joke.

I only got one day myself!! had to take annual leave and unpaid parental leave.

At the other end of the scale is Sweden, parents are allowed 18 months paid leave per child, at least 3 months of that must be used by the father (or the 'minority parent')!!

I am a feminist and this is an issue I have been pushing for.
    You seem to have alot of the information going there, perhaps you could make a "petition sticky" in the parenting forum that parents can sign. Once it fills up then we could all help to draw attention to it (all our local TD's, and for those who may have contacts -Radio, TV, and MP's higher up in the government.

haha Make it a collective argie bargie.

Well lostinanppies this site is watched by media, has a big user base and I am sure the admins won't mind use running such a campain from here.
    I think it would be better to have a list of T.Ds and to email them directly with a letter stating the same thing.
    Anyone want to make a banner ?
    An online presence to get people writing and emailing can easily done if you wish.
    Statutory Paternity Leave in Europe:

Ireland is right down the bottom of the European league table:

* Iceland - 3 months paid paternity leave
    * Slovenia - 90 days paid paternity leave
    * Norway *(Outside EU) - 6 weeks paternity leave
    ("use it or lose it")
    * Finland - 18 days paid paternity
    (proposing to raise it to 25 days)
    * Denmark - 14 days paid paternity
    * Estonia - 14 calendar days
    * France - 2 weeks paid paternity
    * Italy - 2 weeks paid paternity
    * UK - 2 weeks paid paternity (from 2003)
    * Sweden - 10 days paid paternity leave
    * Latvia - 10 calendar days
    * Austria - 10 days paid paternity
    * Romania - 5 days paid paternity leave
    * Hungary - 5 days paternity leave
    * Portugal - 5 days paternity
    * Belgium - 3 days paid paternity
    * Spain - 2 days paternity
    * Holland - 2 days paid paternity
    * Luxembourg - 2 days paid paternity
    * Ireland - NO entitlements to paternity leave

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4629631.stm

omg we are the only ones with none.... how bad is that. Id love to do this, bit intimidated im afraid. Dont know where i would start ..... and i cant spell lol.

Thought this would be helpful
    http://www.gopetition.com/how-to-create-a-petition.php

also im sure that once the petition fills up we can all of us obtain contact details of our local TD's and make it an all ireland out cry. They would have to listen then.

what do you think.

The contact details off all the T.Ds are in one of the above mosts, thier email and office addresses have to be in the public domain.

And lets take a look at what we can set up online for free,
    Bebo,
    myspace,
    facebook.
    a blog

any other suggestions ?

p.s. as for spelling get firefox and it has a built in spell checker, catches most of my mess ups.

ok Thead, it may take me a few days to do this properly but if i draw up a petition banner for paternal rights, any chance we could make it a sticky?

The contact details off all the T.Ds are in one of the above mosts, thier email and office addresses have to be in the public domain.

And lets take a look at what we can set up online for free,
    Bebo,
    myspace,
    facebook.
    a blog

any other suggestions ?

all mummy and daddy websites, i mod for one, i can put it up there.

Even put a few on e-adverts gumtree etc to draw attention to it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

This has been a bug bear of mine for a very long time!

I'd love to get involved and help in any way I can, but I'm also getting married quite soon and won't have a lot of time to give.

I'm 'lucky' enough to work for a Voluntary Agency under the HSE, so I get 3 Days Paternity. If myself and my wife to be have children, I plan to take as much Holidays / Time In Lieu as I can to be at home with both of them. It's not ideal, having to use up holidays etc., but spending the first few weeks ( at least ) with my new born child and my partner is far too important to me.

Sign me up for anything that's organised...

J.

Well what do you want to call it ?

How about Paternity Leave Action Group ? PLAG ?
    I am more the wiling to pitch in won't leave you doing this on your own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Great Idea,

My company offer 3 days which is great of them, I am trying to save every possible day to have as much time at home as possible after our first arrives, which is going to be important as we are both from the West of Ireland living in Dublin with no family around to help in Dublin.

This means I have to be stingy when taking time off the last few months and its a pain. I'll probably have some Parental leave to take unpaid luckily christmas holidays should help as my wife if due mid December.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I wonder what they mean by "Paid Paternity Leave"?In other countries is it like our "Paid Maternity leave" ? where it is only 220 - 280 a week or is it paid by the companies they work for?
    And if it is paid at their full salary rate then we have more issues then just no paid paternity leave in this country!

(Don't get me wrong I am pretty greatfuil we get paid anything while on maternity leave but still..)

Well what do you want to call it ?

How about Paternity Leave Action Group ? PLAG ?
    I am more the wiling to pitch in won't leave you doing this on your own.
    That sounds like a really good name. Ill draw up a petition putting in all the info and their links, this will take me a few days to do (between minding the kids) because i want to do it properly. Ill pm it to you then Thaed and you can add any info you have and correct my "outcrys". (sorry just a bit passionate). If there are others who want to help, perhaps you can then pm it onto them and see if there is anything they would like to add. Im also going to post something in the psychology area in here and see if there is any child or family psychologist who would like to put their imput into it.

Want me to set up the bebo/myspace/facebook under that name and share the password with you ?

cool ya lets do that

How about Paternity Leave Action Now or Paternity Leave Action Needed ( PLAN )?

J.

uh uh perhaps we should have a poll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭lolly22

That sounds like a really good name. Ill draw up a petition putting in all the info and their links, this will take me a few days to do (between minding the kids) because i want to do it properly. Ill pm it to you then Thaed and you can add any info you have and correct my "outcrys". (sorry just a bit passionate). If there are others who want to help, perhaps you can then pm it onto them and see if there is anything they would like to add. Im also going to post something in the psychology area in here and see if there is any child or family psychologist who would like to put their imput into it.

Hey i work nights so im here most days, not sure how i could help but i do feel strongly about it especially afetr I had my own and do think it would be a great idea and im here if you need me for anything, just pm me.;)

Good luck with it :)

Right I get up paternityleaveactiongroup@gmail.com and a bebo/myspace/facebook.

What we need now is images, graphics and content and any articles which any of you can find on the web about this issue.

Want to spend 10/15 min helping go looking for news articles about this issue,
    or searching online the archives of of the Dáil and senad about this.
    Want to add your or your partner' story write it up and we will include it.

oh I went ahead with the other one already :(

See there are lots of things that use PLAN and I tough that PLAG is pronoucable but won't get confused with anything else and with it being a group anyone can be a member and take action and support.

• Advertisement

No worries, I only suggested PLAN as it was a word, but you're right, it could be confused with other groups. In the end I don't really care what it's called if it helps bring change.

I did an article about this for my Blog a while ago, I can PM it to you if you want?

J.

Advertisement