Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caffeine withdrawal symptoms

• 17-09-2008 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

I recently decided to cut out coffee completely as it was causing me to loose sleep and effect my concentration etc.

Now I realise this is a "Pro-coffee" forum but I'm hoping someone might be able to help.

I was drinking 6 or 7 cups of the finest German coffee (muck :D) every day, sometimes more, for the past few months. I've gone cold-turkey and cut it out completely in the past 2 days and I'm having the most horrific headaches now.

I had a small cup this morning and the headache went until about 2 hours later. I know this is connected to the caffeine withdraw, is there anyway to counteract it without more coffee ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I guess something with less caffeine to wean yourself off it. Tea, mineral drinks etc. Some headache tablets have some caffeine in them, so that could be a way to go.

Otherwise you may have to ride it through cold-turkey style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

KTRIC wrote: »

I was drinking 6 or 7 cups of the finest German coffee (muck :D) every day, sometimes more, for the past few months. I've gone cold-turkey and cut it out completely in the past 2 days and I'm having the most horrific headaches now.

I had a small cup this morning and the headache went until about 2 hours later. I know this is connected to the caffeine withdraw, is there anyway to counteract it without more coffee ??

I went without coffee and tea for about 2 months last year and the headaches I got upon withdrawal were unbelievable. No pain killer could deal with them and they lasted for about 3-4 days.

You'll just have to sweat through it (otherwise I'd suggest drinking some coke or buying caffeine tablets)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

If you enjoy it then drink the coffee, life's too short. Stay away from it after 6pm and it shouldn't affect your sleep. Doesn't affect my sleep but that's maybe because I'm more used to it. Otherwise, good luck with giving it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Stop drinking muck!

Cheaper coffee blends tend to contain more robusta beans which are
    higher in caffeine. (Often twice as much caffeine as Arabica).

Get your hands on some quality single origin beans and enjoy them.

Stop depriving yourself and being a masochist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I can't go cold turkey, it has to be a case of weaning myself of it it gradually if I am at the stage where I NEED a coffee or I am getting headaches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭BlueMonke

Very interesting I am having problems sleeping but thats because I am drinking coffee at 10.30 so I know why.

Im thinking of getting some decaf beans for drinking coffee after 6pm. Has anyone tried them?

Id suggest you wein yourself of slowly and maybe try some decaf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Now for the update. Its been over a week since I went "Cold Turkey" and now the headaches, nausea and feelings of depression have subsided I'm feeling great :D

Now I just have to kick the heroin :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

BlueMonke wrote: »
    Im thinking of getting some decaf beans for drinking coffee after 6pm. Has anyone tried them?

I have. Definite win for nighttime coffee IMO. It's missing /something/ but it's better than nowt / lack of sleep. :)

Advertisement