Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Broadband USB Stick?

Options
  • 17-09-2008 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

Have the 02 mobile broadband for the past year. Bought a new netbook and would like to get the smaller USB stick broadband. 02 shop said they didn't have it (ordinary one not the black high speed one) and didn't know when they would be getting it in. Anyone know if I can buy the stick anywhere and put my sim card into it? Unfortunately I signed up for another year with 02 and can't change provider.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Have the 02 mobile broadband for the past year. Bought a new netbook and would like to get the smaller USB stick broadband. 02 shop said they didn't have it (ordinary one not the black high speed one) and didn't know when they would be getting it in. Anyone know if I can buy the stick anywhere and put my sim card into it? Unfortunately I signed up for another year with 02 and can't change provider.
    try carphone warehouse but you will have to get one sim-free if not signing up for a contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Thanks, but the Carphone Warehouse only seem to do the pay as you go one. No sign of the sim-free on their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Why do you want to get a new modem? They all do the same thing, and I'm not aware of anywhere that sells them without a contract. If you do get one, sim free and without contract, it'll likely cost you several hundred euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Over 300 Euro without a contract.

watty wrote: »
    Over 300 Euro without a contract.

Hmmm...what about this one from Ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.ie/3G-MOBILE-BROADBAND-PAY-AS-YOU-GO-E160G-USB-MODEM-3-G_W0QQitemZ170261502284QQihZ007QQcategoryZ96912QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Would this work with my card?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It's more than likely Sim locked to Three-UK, so doubtful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

the dell netbook has a built in modem and sim slot.
    might be useful for you

edit//
    actua;lly, just realised youve already bought yours, nvm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

if you want it on the three network you can buy one on prepay otherwise get one on a clear 30 day contract with o2

foggy_lad wrote: »
    if you want it on the three network you can buy one on prepay otherwise get one on a clear 30 day contract with o2

I already have one on contract from 02. Just looking for a sim free stick!

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

If you have one for over a year on post-paid then you should be able to get O2 to unlock you data modem I would think - might be worth asking them

also you can upgrade online - if you are prepared to signup for another contract - however as has been said before - all the modems do pretty much the same job - so you have to ask yourself is it worth it !

• Advertisement

If you have one for over a year on post-paid then you should be able to get O2 to unlock you data modem I would think - might be worth asking them

also you can upgrade online - if you are prepared to signup for another contract - however as has been said before - all the modems do pretty much the same job - so you have to ask yourself is it worth it !

Already signed up for another year! I know they all do the same job, it's purely aesthetic :o. The netbook is so small that I'd like a USB modem instead of a dangly yoke!

Advertisement