Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexist Graffiti

Options
  • 17-09-2008 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

Anyone else notice the word Sexist sprayed over some of the societies posters today? Close to the restaurant.

Just curious, is it some crowd being legit or just someone having a laugh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Sounds like a re-run of the annual feminists vs posters campaign... There was a loose sort of committee formed to fight sexism in campus advertising, not sure if the members are still around or have moved on...

This years posters seem to be marking a return to fairly raunchy ads though! All women too, so looks like the graffitti artist has a point...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I think that goes back to the day when Aoife Mulqueen and Tobie Marvin were in the SU.... oh yeah, that's what we paid them for. This carryon appears every academic year from the usual 'feminist' suspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

This feminist bullsh!t really p!sses me off. Who do they think they are vandalising society posters? I'm sure someone who posts on here and was involved in this sort of crap before is involved again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I do think that the campaigns from some of the larger societies are incredibly sexist and that there has to be better choices out there for their posters - but vandalising the posters is not the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I heard about this actually, compared to 4 years ago this posters are positively flattering (that's not saying much though) but vandalism is just plain ridiculous and juvenile.

I think us girls should throw a tantrum about them because that's what's going to help us here, throwing tantrums instead of actually doing something proactive about it.

Though at this stage I do give up, I mean we have no women sabbatical officers this year, and I can't think of one of the big societies that has an Auditrix, in fact in the four years I've been here I can only think of 2 'big' societies that have had auditrixes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

What's an auditrix?

It's the feminine for Auditor.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

I do think that the campaigns from some of the larger societies are incredibly sexist

Why or possibly: how so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Tardy

I don't see a problem with this behaviour, it's all part of college life. After what I read in the Sunday Independent I think it's good that some women on campus still have respect for themselves.:p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I think us girls should throw a tantrum about them because that's what's going to help us here, throwing tantrums instead of actually doing something proactive about it.
    Yeah but come on, if they'd a guy on it do you think there'd be thousands of lads outside the library going 'Sexist, blatant exploitation of men'. No there wouldn't be. Get real - I wouldn't vote for any woman in any SU election if I thought she'd spend hours getting on her high horse about essentially a nothing issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

first of all which poster are we refering to?
    and why do you deem it to be sexist?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Don't Women have a Woman's Officer already, specifically to deal with this type of thing??

O o o HANG ON, is that not sexist against MEN? Do Men have a Mens' Officer? No? Think its a bit overkill on the whole equality thing, bit of topic but think its ridiculous really.

Can't exactly see how any posters I've seen this yr are sexist, unless I missed the one in question? Could you describe the one that was defaced? And why you thought it was Sexist?

Red Alert wrote: »
    Yeah but come on, if they'd a guy on it do you think there'd be thousands of lads outside the library going 'Sexist, blatant exploitation of men'. No there wouldn't be. Get real - I wouldn't vote for any woman in any SU election if I thought she'd spend hours getting on her high horse about essentially a nothing issue.

My comment was sarcastic. I should have made that clear. I've yet to be offended by any poster in UCD. My point was doing what they did, was stupid. I don't commend them for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭kf1920

woop wrote: »
    first of all which poster are we refering to?
    and why do you deem it to be sexist?

It was the one for the pr0n debate, the bunny ball and the deflowered one, i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

It's the feminine for Auditor.

C&E have a female auditor

betafrog wrote: »
    Thats cool, I'll advertise an event with a picture of the Irish flag being used as toilet roll, but its okay, I don't need to worry about it cause I'll know that if anyone doesn;t like it they just won't show up...

Or how about a poster of a African man being beaten by a member of the KKK, that'll work, sure it'll offend a few people but its okay because they just wont show up...

That's a stupid thing to say...
    Your whole post was a stupid thing to say :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

gubbie wrote: »
    C&E have a female auditor
    No they don't. The auditor is Padjo Griff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

If you don't like a poster for an event you don't have to go. Really; you don't have to go and you don't even have to support the society involved. You can join another society and go to an event which has posters that don't offend your naive, over estrogenated mentality.

Posters are marketing, pure and simple; if they didn't work, they wouldnt do it. Honestly, there are so many angsty easily offended nothing-to-do-but-complain students out there you have to wonder what is it they do in college that gives them so much free time for such frivolous crap. Get a life, get a nice hard dicking, whatever gets you off. Don't be easily bothered by what boils down to effective marketing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Its a disgrace. These women call themselves Feminists, Libertarians, and facillitators, when in fact they are none of the above. They have no right to deface a poster, and as far as I am aware they could be in Breach of a criminal damage law or two.

These people give feminists a bad name. Why the hell should any society have to be constricted in the manner in which they advertise ? It is a private club, and if you dont want to see the posters dont look at them.

Women who do these things are usually authoritarian communists (I realise that the former word may be superfluous), who give the average feminist enabler a very bad name.

Up with Feminists, down with Feminazis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

elgriff wrote: »
    No they don't. The auditor is Padjo Griff
    Sorry I think its Q soc then. One of the Quinn School ones had a female auditor at auditor training

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

The P.C. (That stands for Political Correctness, not Personal Computers) Patrol ruin all things fun...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

if by 'sexist' they mean 'sexy' then i wholeheartedly agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Het-Field wrote: »
    if you dont want to see the posters dont look at them.

Thats not really possible when they are plastered in public spaces all over campus

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

And still, no one has commented on the rape joke in one of the society magazines:rolleyes:

panda100 wrote: »
    Thats not really possible when they are plastered in public spaces all over campus

You could always have a protest :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

And still, no one has commented on the rape joke in one of the society magazines:rolleyes:

Which society was it, and what is the joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Which society was it, and what is the joke?
    I'm curious about this too.
    panda100 wrote:
    *Braces himself* I agree with Panda on this one. Some of the posters this year, particularly the pr0n debate one, are just crass, and while I'm not offended I can see how a lot of people could be. It doesn't matter if it's "a private club" when its advertising is positioned very prominently on the concourse. They could easily have used a silhouette or something, as I'm pretty sure was done in previous years. But I don't agree with people going around defacing them either. There's an official channel for complaining about this type of thing: the SU Women's Officer.

And before anyone makes a smart comment about melons, there's a difference between being inanely suggestive and sticking posters of some woman's ass up everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

The fact of it is that such posters interest and attract a certain demographic to events, so societies will continue to use them for promotions unless some rule against them is put in place (fairly unlikely), or they cease to be effective anymore (very unlikely).

Complaining through official channels like the Women's Office or UCDSU seems a far better idea than causing criminal damage to a poster if they offend you.

Mind you, I personally have no beef with the posters, and this whole situation comes across as being instigitated by the same herd of femi-nazis who got so upset over the the Miss UCD "debacle". Honestly, if a female-run society ran poster of half-naked men do you really think the male population would care less?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

sex sells, it sells to impressionable first years like 40% back on your clubcard sex would sell. Societies know that if they get 'em young they'll have 'em for their college life pretty much. Those pictures are already in existent, it's not like the societies go and find a trafficed Eastern European woman and force her into posing with BandL or Qsoc or whatever attire on. While I don't neccessarily think it's classy or smart, I don't really have a problem with it. It always gives me a good idea of what nights to avoid actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Let the posters be sexist I say. If they offend someone, that person can stay offended. They are of course entitled to complain the posters are sexists, but that really is the business of the society that designed them. If they are willing to risk their reputation, let them. If the gamble pays off, fair play, if not, they've only themselves to blame.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement