Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancel Contract - if no coverage

• 17-09-2008 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

I read it somewhere a while back but cannot find it now -

Is it possible to cancel a contract with a mobile phone company without any penalty if you move house and the new house has no coverage there?
    What happens to the phone - can you just go to pay as you go?

Has anybody done this before?

Thanks
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Jorus wrote: »
    I read it somewhere a while back but cannot find it now -

Is it possible to cancel a contract with a mobile phone company without any penalty if you move house and the new house has no coverage there?
    What happens to the phone - can you just go to pay as you go?

Has anybody done this before?

Thanks
    :)

It is indeed, if you ring whichever companies customer care (pray it isnt 3:D) and get them to log a ticket with their tech department they can check the area and if theres no site there or if its a known blackspot for coverage they should let you out of the contract, now this can be a bit iffy at times as if its just inside your house theres no coverage its probably in the T&Cs of your contract that indoor coverage can never be guaranteed due to the materials the building is made out of etc, but if its a general area problem shouldnt be a big deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

krudler wrote: »
    It is indeed, if you ring whichever companies customer care (pray it isnt 3:D)

I doubt it's 3, there backed up by Vodafone so it's very unlikley you don't have coverage.....I'm secretley hoping it's meteor:D

Your right it shouldn't be any problem if you've no coverage....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Meteor do it if you take out a contract and when you get home you find out there is no coverage, but not sure about if you move home.

To be honest, I don't see why they should. Good luck though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

I've done this with O2 in the past - if they can't meet their obligation in the contract they have no right to hold you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Vodafone wouldn't do it for my sister, I asked the CC girl and she said they don't do it and they've never heard of it done. Poxy Vodafone VIVA la O2!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I doubt it's 3, there backed up by Vodafone so it's very unlikley you don't have coverage.....I'm secretley hoping it's meteor:D
    who are also backed up by vodafone......

this post took 5 attempts because it was posted from a 3 phone on a train as i went through an area with no 3 coverage in dublin 15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

had this problem with o2. Moved to a new address and there was really bad coverage. Logged a couple of calls with customer care. And after a month we discussed breaking the contract, 4 months left before it had expired, and they let me off with no penalties.

My advice is to log a couple of queries about coverage in your area and take it from there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I don't see why they would have any obligation to release you from your contract at all. They all give cooling off periods and after that you're on your own.

Having said that though a lot of the networks do tend to be pretty reasonable if you're in a known blackspot or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jimbo007

I had a lot of problems with cancelling my three contract, I couldn't get proper coverage in work even though their map says they cover here, they wouldn't help me even though i kept going in and out of reception on the call to them! I would have had to buy my contract out, so I waited until my contract ran out. I'm still having problems cancelling my contract even after this though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

This can be sticky!

The company does not have to let you out of the contract early because if you read any of the companies terms and conditions. They will states in somewhere
    about not being able to provide service 100% of the time

Here is 02's as an example

We will use reasonable efforts to make the Services available to you at all times. However, the Services are provided by radio transmission, and therefore are available only within the range of our Network's base stations. Both quality and availability of the Services are affected by factors which cause radio interference, such as physical obstructions and atmospheric conditions, and by technical faults in the Network or in the SIM Cards and in other telecommunications networks through which calls may be relayed.

Since the contract was agreed too they do not have to let you out of the contract for free and can charge termination charges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

miceal wrote: »
    This can be sticky!

The company does not have to let you out of the contract early because if you read any of the companies terms and conditions. They will states in somewhere
    about not being able to provide service 100% of the time

Here is 02's as an example

We will use reasonable efforts to make the Services available to you at all times. However, the Services are provided by radio transmission, and therefore are available only within the range of our Network's base stations. Both quality and availability of the Services are affected by factors which cause radio interference, such as physical obstructions and atmospheric conditions, and by technical faults in the Network or in the SIM Cards and in other telecommunications networks through which calls may be relayed.

Since the contract was agreed too they do not have to let you out of the contract for free and can charge termination charges

The thing is, a contract is signed on the basis that service will be provided by the network. If the network, for whatever reason, cannot honour that contract and provide service, the network has no option but to allow the customer out of the contract without penalties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

Rsaeire wrote: »
    The thing is, a contract is signed on the basis that service will be provided by the network. If the network, for whatever reason, cannot honour that contract and provide service, the network has no option but to allow the customer out of the contract without penalties.

Incorrect.

We will use reasonable efforts to make the Services available to you at all times.If you report a problem they will investigate. More than likely not giving a time for fix

Therefore are available only within the range of our Network's base stations.

Both quality and availability of the Services are affected by factors which cause radio interference, such as physical obstructions and atmospheric conditions They are covering themselves here with, is the person inside, Are there trees in their garden, do they live on a mountain, are they in a valley etc.

technical faults in the Network or in the SIM Cards and in other telecommunications networks through which calls may be relayed. They here are again giving themselves an opportunity to get the issue fixed, thus giving them more revenue from the person being in contract as

Now have you no coverage inside the house and are able to get the coverage outside the house??

Have 02 confirmed a fault in the area or what did they say about the issue

Advertisement