Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kitchen Size

• 17-09-2008 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

My better half wants the kitchen in our new build to be "big". Now to me "big" means enough space for me to get to the microwave so I'm not the best person to ask on the subject.

What size is your kitchen, and if you had your way again would you make it bigger/smaller?

I think at the moment I'm looking at 14ft wide by 6ft/8 ft deep [left/right wall].

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

Does she/you want a table in the room? And if so what size? Something for 4 people or to comfortably accomodate 6?

Is there a requirement for an island or breakfast bar?

It really depends what the room will be used for. If it's just for heating microwave meals and the odd bit of cooking with a separate dining room available then a galley style kitchen may suit. But if you intend to do a reasonable amount of cooking/baking in it, maybe have dinner parties, large family gatherings or meals etc, then a bigger kitchen would tick more of the boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

eve wrote: »
    Does she/you want a table in the room? And if so what size? Something for 4 people or to comfortably accomodate 6?

The room itself is big enough to take a seperate table if needed, but the layout of the room confines the kitchen units to be at the "upper half" of the room. So while theres plenty space for hosting people, its the workable kitchen space that's at issue.
    Is there a requirement for an island or breakfast bar?

She wants island, so she gets island.

To get the utility room in where I wanted it the kitchen had to be made a bit smaller, and I felt that having the island there made things too cramped. I tried with a breakfast bar effect but "the island stays" :)
    But if you intend to do a reasonable amount of cooking/baking in it, maybe have dinner parties, large family gatherings or meals etc, then a bigger kitchen would tick more of the boxes.

No doubt - I'll need a bouncer to keep the "new house vistors" in line...

I'm curious to know what others have done with their kitchens in terms of size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 guy2454

It all comes down to what your other half wants from the room. For me the kitchen is always the hub of the house. Currently applying for permission for a new house and the whole back of the house is open plan, the kitchen part of this is 28ft long by 15ft wide. This is hopefully the only house i will ever build and i would hate in a few years to think god why didnt i make it just a few feet wider hence the size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

currently building two what i would call large houses (2,500 ft sq) and the kitchen is off the open plan dining room and is 3m x 5m and is plenty big enough!!! Also a separate utility room which would be a deciding factor in size also...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Personally, I think 6ft/8 ft deep isn't enough but if the boss is happy then go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Ours is 20ft x 12 ft (with separate utility) and so I thought this was plenty big when we were building teh house. But when the wife's sooper dooper kitchen went in (including an island as big as a real one!), we ended up having to put the table and chairs in the sunroom taking up valuable space there. If I was doing it again, I'd divorce the wife and make do with a microwave :D:D.

Seriously though, build it as big as you can afford cause its where most people spend most of their time while in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

its the workable kitchen space that's at issue.

I tried with a breakfast bar effect but "the island stays" :)

If the 6' to 8' could become 9' to 11' you will have a very comfortable space.

If I was doing it again, I'd divorce the wife and make do with a microwave :D:D.

Classic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭slowharry

a mate of mine was buing a house of the plans a couple of years ago. his girlfriend now wife was worried about the kitchen size so i was asked to get some paint and mark it out on the ground just to give them an idea of the size of the kitchen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

I'd recommend 20ft x 20ft.

This would allow for loadsa cupboard space and worktop space, a big cooker, amercian size fridge and island/breakfast bar. i'd also recommend having a big enough utility room and a seperate dining area but mayb a small round table with 2/3 chairs or a couple of high stools in your kitchen.

Our kitchen/dining room is 37ft long 16ft wide and i think its way too big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

I would agree with having a large kitchen as it is the hub of the whole house.
    I am in for planning permission at the moment and our kitchen is open plan which will include a dining table to accommodate 6 people and maybe a stove at the end and it is 31' x 21'. I based this on a kitchen I was in before so I know exactly the space I would like to have.

It might be a good idea to go around to a few show houses or just mates house and have a look at their kitchen size and ask yourself if this is the size you would like, and then just measure it....

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭dfcelt

Recently got permission for ours; 10.4m x 4m plus sunroom & utility, See attached. If she needs it any bigger she'll be sacked & I'll get a new chef in ;)
    God I wish I was as ballsy as that in real life :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

dfcelt wrote: »
    Recently got permission for ours; 10.4m x 4m plus sunroom & utility, See attached. If she needs it any bigger she'll be sacked & I'll get a new chef in ;)
    Loads of room for a snooker table :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

dfcelt wrote: »

I've sent on your post to your wife so now you CAN be as ballsy as that. So get home now and tell her what's what. BTW, I'm sure you'll be remembered as a "Legend of the Boards". Nice knowing you :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I've sent on your post to your wife so now you CAN be as ballsy as that. So get home now and tell her what's what. BTW, I'm sure you'll be remembered as a "Legend of the Boards". Nice knowing you :D:D
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

muffler wrote: »
    :D:D:D

Kitchens are easy. 600mm wide x 600mm deep units (also 300 x 600 and 450 x 600) make it a metre high for comfort.

draw up a scaled plan of your room and cut out the squares to the size of the units, sink cooker and fridge and plan it that way. dont just leave it to a kitchen designer to do it and dont put units all around the walls or the kitchen becomes unusable. The sink, cooker, hob and fridge should all be relatively close together but with enough worktop space between them.
    You can actually get a small kitchen to work better than a large one if its laid out right because everything will be close at hand.

PS dishwasher should be about 600mm above the floor

Our kitchen/diner & family room is 4m x 8m, that's a good size. The only issue I have is that I should have allowed a bit more wall space for tall kitchen units! The room has windows on three walls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

My better half wants the kitchen in our new build to be "big". Now to me "big" means enough space for me to get to the microwave so I'm not the best person to ask on the subject.

What size is your kitchen, and if you had your way again would you make it bigger/smaller?

I think at the moment I'm looking at 14ft wide by 6ft/8 ft deep [left/right wall].

I think it would be a mistake not to have a big kitchen if the extra space can be spared. Even if yourself and your better half are in no danger of putting Gordon or Nigellas culinary skills to shame; if further down the line you decide you would like to sell your home, a smaller kitchen will only be favoured by buyers with a similar mindset as yourself. Buyers with families will require more kitchen space, and if you skimp here you are closing the marketability of your home.

Granted, selling is probably not at the front of your mind right now. But it is still an asset nontheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Calluna

We're in the process of building and I wanted a 'big' kitchen. So we're going with 8m by 4.5m. It seems fine so far, even though it's not fitted yet but we have had plans drawn up and everything I want fits in it. I would agree with dolanbaker though - we have lots of windows which is lovely and will have light all day long as it's south facing - but it has very much reduced amount of wall space for tall units. I'm not too bothered though cos I'm a shortie and can't reach into the back of tall units anyway! These are all things to bear in mind when planning. As someone else said here, we're only doing this once - so we want to do it right. My mother has extended her kitchen 3 times over our lifetime (adding on living areas, etc) so it certainly is the heart of the home and the bit to get right. Bear in mind that units are 600 deep and that you need about 900 between a unit and another unit/island. We are going with double depth island 1200. Just try to work in these kind of sizes and it will make kitchen fitting easier. Good luck!

Attached is my downstairs - with resized kitchens. I've modified the architects work so blame me if the sums dont match :)

I'm now looking at 4450mm by 3200mm [14.5ft x 10.5ft] instead of 4450mm x 2600mm [14.5ft x 8.5].

I recessed the utility into the living room as I don't want to make the entire house bigger just for the want of the kitchen, and I don't really need to have too big a living room anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Tyrekicker

Convince her to drop the island. Waste of space. I reckon these are the flaour of the day and will look dated in a decade.
    (She have you ripping it out again)....:eek:

Tyrekicker wrote: »
    Convince her to drop the island. Waste of space. I reckon these are the flaour of the day and will look dated in a decade.
    (She have you ripping it out again)....:eek:

I'm having that debate aswell, both here and with herself :)

I won that particular debate :) we don't miss not having one at all!

We have a large dining table instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

I won that particular debate :) we don't miss not having one at all!

We have a large dining table instead.

Thats not winning thats a draw at best:P

Personally I prefer the breakfast bar as it closes off the kitchen from the rest of the room and there are less corners to walk into.

Slig wrote: »
    Thats not winning thats a draw at best:P

She wanted both! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

Slig wrote: »
    PS dishwasher should be about 600mm above the floor

No chance, my wife's afraid of heights :D

Advertisement