Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gloves and hood

Options
  • 17-09-2008 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

hey dudes,

with the winter only a couple of months away i think i will need to get a pair of gloves and a hood. never used these before, whats the best thickness for either, and with the gloves is there any difference with the mitten like type or the ones with fingers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Depends on how much cold you feel. I go for gloves as thin as possible. Webbed ones will pull the arms out of your sockets.
    Hoods, I find awful and wear mine only about one day per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

how do you mean the webbed ones will pull my arms out of the sockets?

know what you mean re needing them, think i should be ok until late enough. there were some guys in lahinch wearing hoods last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Webbed gloves are supposed to help you paddle more similar to a ducks webbed feet. So when you dig in theres much more pressure on your arms as your trying to push more surface area through the water.

I used a webbed pair for a while. Didn't like them at all, not I go gloveless as much as possible. Hood I tend not to bother with either as I feel they restrict me too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

You'll know when its cold enough to use them and will be glad of them when you have them. Alder do gloves and hoods, good ones, Sola also. Considering its your extremities the thicker the better, as long as you have some dexterity, webs are crap. try doin/undoing a leash or zip with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

Didnt bother with gloves last winter and i was absolutely fine and was often out for 2-3 hours. I got a hood last christmas, couldnt get used to it at all at the start and didnt wear it for a while but eventually forced myself to wear it a few times and found it fine then.

You could go without both if you wanted. Prob better for the ears if ya go for the hood tho i spose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

yeah, i think my hands would be ok but i defo think a hood will be needed. i was out last jan and it was unbearable, instant brain-freeze when i wiped out for a min or two.

Advertisement