Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Galway city Sports Bar?

Options
  • 17-09-2008 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

A friend was telling me that there is a new 'sports bar' in the city but he can't remember name or location...anyone else heard about this? He reckons it might be the bar under the Meyrick hotel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Nevermind...just saw an ad for the place on the paper...'Fagans' formerly O'Flahertys Bar...seems like a place for a sports geek alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Ya it sounds like it's going to be a bit like how it used to be when it was O' Flaherty's. Free nibles aswell during matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Yes it is O'Flahertys. My brother said that they delivered quite a few 42 inch tv's there and its gonna be class. cant wait. finally a proper sports bar. badly needed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Is there such a thing as a Sport Geek? Sounds oxymoronic to me....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

so wheres this o'flahertys gaf then

• Advertisement

DRakE wrote: »
    so wheres this o'flahertys gaf then

It's below what used to be the Great Southern Hotel in eyre square. The hotel is now known as the Meyrick. As you walking from the bus station towards Cara Cabs you will see steps heading into what might look like a cellar door. Well it's just down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Underneath the Meyrick (formerly Great Southern) beside the Aran tours place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

I think it may be those people who watch sport, talk about sport, incessantly analyse sport but who never actually play any sport. A trip from the barstool to the jacks leaves them out of breath.

If you are a sports fan, surely you have a desire to participate in some kind of sporting activity..at whatever level? I think there are quite a few out there who shout and roar at the screen and talk about the match, just to be 'one of the lads.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

so i take it the toss pot pub Toshui or what ever it was called is gone now ?

absolutely...why should the term 'geek' be the preserve of specky wee guys with bad hair cuts?...you pedantic fascist!! :pac:

by the way Cole, you can still be a sports geek and participate in the sport...we're the annoying footballers who like shouting, 'ya, switch it!' and 'watch the middle!' and applying it to as many sports as possible! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Great stuff - O'Flaherty's used to be a good spot for matches

Does this mean that Tosh is gone?? Hopefully :D

Jugs82 wrote: »
    Great stuff - O'Flaherty's used to be a good spot for matches

Does this mean that Tosh is gone?? Hopefully :D

+ 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Does that mean they'll bring back the lovely lunchtime carvery that used to be in O Flahertys???

That WAS the best place in town for lunch in its day!!!

Think they are basing it on O Flahertys because there was a snippet of the menu in one of the papers and it said something about a O Flahertys burger or grill. Can't remember which now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Ok before I post this I'm 99.9% sure it can't be true but asking anyway just in case.

Did any of you hear about the Cellar being turned into a gay bar? My friend is convinced she heard it from a good source.

I very much doubt it. Not enough of a market in Galway for 2 gay bars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

kraggy wrote: »
    Ok before I post this I'm 99.9% sure it can't be true but asking anyway just in case.

Did any of you hear about the Cellar being turned into a gay bar? My friend is convinced she heard it from a good source.

Hasn't Twirleys gone straight?? Sort of? During the week?

The cellear isn't a gay bar, as far as I know it's the underground bit that is on a Friday or something along those lines

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    absolutely...why should the term 'geek' be the preserve of specky wee guys with bad hair cuts?...you pedantic fascist!! :pac:
    I think you might be confusing us with nerds, but I take your categorization as a pedant on the chin and I will leave well enough alone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

You haven't met my husband.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Twirleys is gone but I hear the same crowd are still going to it (LA club or something, its called)

On topic: Im not big into sports but I would def agree that galway needs a decent sports bar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

kraggy wrote: »

Well theres already at least two.

Twirleys and The Stage Door. I haven't heard a lot about Stranos lately but I presume thats still a gay bar which would make three.

I think there's another one out in Salthill

The official opening is supposed to be on tonight.

Think it might be a good palce for Sunday. At least you'd be able to keep an eye on all the matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Went in there today. Not what I would consider a sports pub
    2 widescreens and bar stools. There was only 2 people in there at 3:00 (granted there wasn't a decent match on until 5:30). I can't see it lasting long

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Was there for the all ireland.

Free nibbles were lovely and offset the cost of my Amaretto Sour (but at least they make it - I haven't had one in over a year since I left Montreal)

Advertisement