Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9mm pistol licence in Mallow

Options
  • 17-09-2008 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi all, just a quick question for all out there, i am applying for a beretta 92fs inox 9mm pistol licence, i have a miroku o&u shotgun and a remington 700 .223 rifle, will i have much trouble in getting the pistol licence?, i am hearing so many stories of people not being granted the licence, i want to get into the competition side of pistol shooting, also should i ask my garda for more than the standard 100 rounds of ammo or leave it and hope for the best?. i am a member of my local gun club and a rifle and pistol range/club.

thanks in advance.

medicman.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It's all dependant on your local superintendent mm. If you were to post where you were in the country (or, more usefully, what garda district you were in), you might hear from others in that area, especially if there's been a history of problems.

As to the number of rounds, I'd ask for the increased number right out at the start, but if you're only getting into competitive shooting now, I wouldn't go asking for 10,000 right off the bat. Figure out - honestly, no fibbing! - how many rounds you think you'll shoot in a week or a fortnight, and go for that number. And later on, if it proves limiting, apply for a raise.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭medicman

thanks for the reply sparks, good idea, i am from the mallow area, if anyone out there has dealings there, and who can give me any info, that would be great.

thanks.

There's a few lads who were in the mallow club on here, hopefully they can give you some information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Hi Medicman, I'm a member of Mallow Pistol & Rifle Club.

I applied for a license for a Sig Sauer P226 9mm over three months ago and I,m still waiting:mad:

My local FAO assures me thet its after being granted and they are just waiting on the cert to come back from Phoenix Park:confused:

Any news on the new range? Has Pat started building yet?

Best of luck with the license;)

hi murph, talking to pat yesterday, waiting on planning permission for the new range, he is still using the one in kilfinnane, havent been out to that one, i joined the kingdom (an riocht) in kerry, not bad. thanks for your update, hope you get your licence soon, is this your only licence? or do you have a shotgun / rifle also? with a pulse id?

regards.

medicman

• Advertisement

yeah its my first license, havent been out to Kilfinanne either.

whats the Kingdom pistol range like?

How many firing points, indoor/outdoor?

How much is membership?

hi murph, the range isnt to bad, only outdoor range, i think there are approx 6 targets for the pistols, 6-8 for the rifles ranging from 100 - 300 and an area for clay shoots, however i think he feels that any time you arrive to shoot you (have) to purchase his ammo, on the clay shoot you have to do this and his clays also, you cannot bring your own, other than that, and the irish summer, its not bad, you dont have anyone looking over your shoulder while at the range, also, last bit of info, he does not allow anyone to shoot a pistol until you do a range course there, €60-€70, if you have one done somewhere else it does not matter, his way only, the cost for the year at present is €300.00

hi all, just a quick update, i applied for the licence and the garda who deals with my district in mallow was as usual very helpfull, thankfully he is one who helps when filling out forms, i was telling him that i was interested in competition shooting and he suggested 1,000 rounds on my licence, now, isnt that nice?, a garda who helps, anyway, it's done and he thinks it will take approx 6-12 weeks and that i should have no problems, hopefully?. i will post on this again when it gets here.

best of luck to all.

medicman.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

Thats a refreshing story, best of luck

ok, here's the latest update, got a call from my fo yesterday evening, he just received my forms back? oh oh i said, he told me that there was a question as to why there were 1,000 rounds on my application?, i told him it was for competition shooting and would be using ammo at a vast rate in practice to get up to proper skill level, but should i change down to 500 rounds?, he advised against that saying if i went down to 500 then " they "? might refuse the licence or reduce it down to the standard 100, so, anyway he's keeping it at 1000 and re-sending the form with a note explaining the reason for the large qty of ammo, so here we go again, another long wait. as usual i will keep updating as i hear the news.

keep the faith, (well, try to anyway)

regards. medicman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

medicman wrote: »
    hi murph, the range isnt to bad, only outdoor range, i think there are approx 6 targets for the pistols, 6-8 for the rifles ranging from 100 - 300 and an area for clay shoots, however i think he feels that any time you arrive to shoot you (have) to purchase his ammo, on the clay shoot you have to do this and his clays also, you cannot bring your own, other than that, and the irish summer, its not bad, you dont have anyone looking over your shoulder while at the range, also, last bit of info, he does not allow anyone to shoot a pistol until you do a range course there, €60-€70, if you have one done somewhere else it does not matter, his way only, the cost for the year at present is €300.00

feck the nra badge and papers wont do the range rules a bit stiff. I seen in the digest wives go along as well:( the tiger must be well settled in the kingdom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

PJ Hunter wrote: »
    feck the nra badge and papers wont do the range rules a bit stiff. I seen in the digest wives go along as well:( the tiger must be well settled in the kingdom.
    Eh? :confused:
    Could you repeat that in English please?

PJ Hunter wrote: »
    feck the nra badge and papers wont do the range rules a bit stiff.
    See the proficiency courses thread!

hi all, still no word on my pistol licence, should i phone the Phoenix Park Firearms licensing section or should i wait? any ideas or thoughts would be great.

thanks.
    medicman.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

hi all, still no word on my pistol licence, should i phone the Phoenix Park Firearms licensing section or should i wait? any ideas or thoughts would be great.

It's probably best to ask your FO first. If they're the friendly, helpful type (and it seems they are) then they should be able to tell you where the application is in the process. It could easily be sitting on the Super's desk.

I'd only call the Park if the FO said that the application had gone there and hadn't come back.

great stuff IRL, thanks, i think i might wait for another week, to be on the safe side and give him a shout then, dont realy want to hassel him to much:pac:

regards.

medicman

U'r not going to believe this, my fo called out to my place of work, he has just left, i was a bit surprised, thinking the worst, however, he had a big grin:D on his face and ................................ get this................................
    my licence for my 9mm bretta, wow, is this earth shattering or what?:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    i didnt think it would be approved, waiting so long and with all the negative press and what not, so to all of those who are waiting, keep the faith.:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

well, its here at last, what a surprise, with all the negative press and bad things happening with pistols, i'm in heaven.

keep the faith.

medicman.

well, its here at last, what a surprise, with all the negative press and bad things happening with pistols, i'm in heaven.

keep the faith.

medicman.

Congratulations lad, happy shooting!!!

Can you recall the date when you applied for the cert?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Well done medicman. Enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Good for you medicman. Best of luck with it!! I hate saying this. But did he tell you that it might not be renewed come re-licence time?

Shoot the hell out of it while you can m8. Its just the minister has said a licence for a pistol might not be re-newed after the date of his announcement on his cap on pistols licenced!

murph226 wrote: »
    Congratulations lad, happy shooting!!!

Can you recall the date when you applied for the cert?

yep, approx 20/09/08, and this is dated 04/12/08, so it's not too long a wait. thanks for the best wishes from all, rounds will be shot next week, oooohhhh yyaaaaa

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Congratulations medicman I know exactly how you feel. I just got my licence in october. Blue smoke day tomorrow for you:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Congrats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Jacobo

Congratulations on the cert for your new high-powered hole punch :)

chem wrote: »
    Good for you medicman. Best of luck with it!! I hate saying this. But did he tell you that it might not be renewed come re-licence time?

Shoot the hell out of it while you can m8. Its just the minister has said a licence for a pistol might not be re-newed after the date of his announcement on his cap on pistols licenced!

hey chem, naa, didnt think to ask him, just overjoyed at the licence, i'll fight hard with the rest of the shooters out there to get the minister to wake up and realise we are not criminals, just joe public who like our sport.

thanks to all who replied, hope any who are waiting will have good news soon.

keep the faith

medicman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

hey chem, naa, didnt think to ask him, just overjoyed at the licence, i'll fight hard with the rest of the shooters out there to get the minister to wake up and realise we are not criminals, just joe public who like our sport.

thanks to all who replied, hope any who are waiting will have good news soon.

keep the faith

medicman

Didnt mean to sound like a kill joy ;) Im waiting on word myself so hearing you have yours gives me hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Way to Go Enjoy it my man!:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement