Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Break up relief

Options
  • 17-09-2008 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭

Well girlies..

I'm sure we've all been there...

What do you do when you break up with somebody/get broken up with.

Cry? Get Drunk? Eat? Exercise? Get mad?

Personally I go shopping, and get my hair done, and generally be nice to myself whether I'm the dumper or the dumpee. The big night out ASAP after the break-up is also a prerequisite, though sometimes these can be a real test!

I Don't cry much in a break-up situation; usually the only crying is done when I get the credit card bill!!!

That said, I have done the crying+food gorging thing once; but usually I lose all appetite!

Do you find its different for different situations and different men or do you always have a sure fire solution to getting back on top??
    Tagged:

Comments

I'm weird.....I don't stay upset for long. Might have one good cry and then I'm over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

I cry and puke for a few weeks, and avoid everyone. stay in my room and watch tv..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

yeah im the same as moonbaby, no point in dwelling on it. Night out tho always helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I'm weird.....I don't stay upset for long. Might have one good cry and then I'm over it.

God I wish I was like that! I'll cry my eyes out for a few days, not eat a thing, then go out every night and go mad which makes me feel worse again but it has to be done. I tend to hang out with my male friends more after a break up than my female ones for some reason. It depends on the situation and the length of the relationship etc....my only long term 3 year relationship was a hell of a tough one to get over. The rest were nothing compared to that one.

Break ups suck! I think I'll actually murder my boyfriend if he tries to dump me, I'm not going through another one, fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Listen to v loud Metal music and go for a v long long walk.......... I do this to destress when in really bad form as well.Night out is alwaus good too :)
    I tend to hang out with my male friends more after a break up than my female ones for some reason.
    Thats usually cause men distance themselves (not talk bout it) and try to keep busy or keep there mates thats just broken up busy to make them forget, it works v well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ANGEM

Broke up last week nite out helps sense of relief confirms i did the right thing

Oh and have a good rant about it on Boards :o Some people on here cheered me up and helped so much. Will always be grateful :)

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Oh and have a good rant about it on Boards :o Some people on here cheered me up and helped so much. Will always be grateful :)

I miss your cow avatar, it reminds me of the squishy toy I have :p

I miss your cow avatar, it reminds me of the squishy toy I have :p

Aww I miss the cow too, I'm gonna get her back!

Aww I miss the cow too, I'm gonna get her back!

Rattlehead saving Moo Cows since September 08. Back on topic! Mate of mine used to do the whole burning of EX possession things, he said that helped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I watch loads and loads of Father Ted and Black Books and as much comedy as I can find. Anything that doesn't have a relationship theme basically! Then I eat a ton of ice-cream and hang out with my friends as much as possible. I only cry when I'm at home on my own but by God do i cry!

God I wish I was like that! I'll cry my eyes out for a few days, not eat a thing, then go out every night and go mad which makes me feel worse again but it has to be done.

See I didn't so much as look at another man for months and months after myself and thee ex broke up. Because I knew I was still in love with him, and it would hurt and confuse me.
    Your way has its definite highlights.

And don't go near the radio or any love songs for at least 2 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lasorciere

It depends on relationships. Sometimes love ends before break up and it makes me happy-single-again. In case when I'm dumped calling for my girlfriends...whith a bottle of whiskey.

See I didn't so much as look at another man for months and months after myself and thee ex broke up. Because I knew I was still in love with him, and it would hurt and confuse me.
    Your way has its definite highlights.

Oh when I say I go mad I don't go mad with the men or anything lol, just go mad with partying. Yeah was over a year when I even looked at another man after my ex. Just had zero interest, sad I know but I still loved him. Such a waste looking back but maybe it was just something I had to go through.

My boyfriend knows if he dumps me he'll have his spine ripped out so we're going to be together FOREVER!!!!! :D

(Enter horror music):pac:

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I've a weird lil ritual, or maybe not so weird, not sure.

I get rid of everything in my life that reminds me of them, down to texts, phone numbers, msn details, emails, everything.
    Always associate a song with a girl so depending on my mood either delete it, put it in 'the playlist' or just listen to it over and over again until it bares no meaning to me.

Once that's done, I go on long long walks everyday, around 3 hours or so to clear my head, reflect and just have time to myself.

Don't really talk about it to my mates as I feel I'm imposing on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Will wrote: »
    Don't really talk about it to my mates as I feel I'm imposing on them.

I think you meant to say as you're too much of a manly macho man to talk about your feelings in front of 'da lads', don't wanna seem like a pansy after all
    *flexes*

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I guess i surround myself with the lady friends, head out on the town and flirt a lot or girly/horror movies with wine and chocolate, and go beserk shopping. Shoes always fill that void!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭madziuda

I make sure I have loads of really loud, agressive songs on my ipod and go for a run in the park, singing along and scaring poor kids playing football there into a near catatonic state.

Fuuuuun:D

Crying comes later

Oh, and sometimes I make really rash, life-changing decisions. Like, say, emigrating...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

LolaDub wrote: »
    Shoes always fill that void!

They so do.....they so really really do......:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Pyr0 wrote: »
    I think you meant to say as you're too much of a manly macho man to talk about your feelings in front of 'da lads', don't wanna seem like a pansy after all
    *flexes*

:pac:

Ha ha, no not at all. :cool:
    Think it's just the done thing for guys, not to talk about the issues, just grin and bare it on your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

I feel nauseous for a week or so, I like to wallow in self pity in my bed and then go out and then go get drunk with my friends. I usually delete all traces of music that reminds me of them. Last time it was a huge chunk of my music gone :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Cazlou

God you lot are so lucky you had friends around you to go out and party with!
    My one and only breakup was a horrible horrible time. He finished with me on a day I had an exam, my family were all away on holiday so I was home alone and we were supposed to go to a concert that night. SO instead I was left curled up in a ball sobbing my heart out for three days til my family came home - that day I took my mind off things by scrubbing the house from top to bottom and making a casserole so there'd be something for them to eat when they got back.. My friends were all in relationships at the time and rather than trying to take my mind off things I just got 'there there' texts and one 'friend' ended our friendship as "now you're single we've nothing to talk about" that still makes me :eek: now! I'd have loved just one person to go on a mad night of dancing with, instead my poor Dad had to deal with all the tears:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Cazlou wrote: »
    My one and only breakup was a horrible horrible time. He finished with me on a day I had an exam, my family were all away on holiday so I was home alone and we were supposed to go to a concert that night. SO instead I was left curled up in a ball sobbing my heart out for three days til my family came home - that day I took my mind off things by scrubbing the house from top to bottom and making a casserole so there'd be something for them to eat when they got back.. My friends were all in relationships at the time and rather than trying to take my mind off things I just got 'there there' texts and one 'friend' ended our friendship as "now you're single we've nothing to talk about" that still makes me :eek: now! I'd have loved just one person to go on a mad night of dancing with, instead my poor Dad had to deal with all the tears:p

You poor thing!!

Dads can be good with tears though.

You poor thing!!

Dads can be good with tears though.

yeah he was a legend! first time he's ever had to deal with anything like that and he came up trumps!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Will wrote: »
    Ha ha, no not at all. :cool:
    Think it's just the done thing for guys, not to talk about the issues, just grin and bare it on your own.

Not for me personally, I like talking about whats going on with my feelings to friends, gives another point of view on a problem and can give a little hand in coping with whatever is going on. And of course there's the shoulder to lean on and all that jazz !

Cazlou wrote: »

That is just so horrible....How did these friends cope when their own relationships came to an end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Get very drunk it works wonders.
    My ex had an interesting method...go for a weekend away...with some lads...make one of them her new fella...break up with me...****!!!
    Cue alot of alcohol consuming on my part, a bit of harmless fun and wayhey

• Advertisement

That is just so horrible....How did these friends cope when their own relationships came to an end?

Well last I heard that 'friend' was engaged. Don't know anything further... for obvious reasons;)
    Only one of them has actually been through a break-up since, my parents always saw her as a surrogate daughter so we had her come stay with us for a couple of days when her relationship hit the rocks, then she moved in with a workmate as it was closer to work, and did the whole out-on-the-lash thing with her. I ran into her ex's best mate one night and when I went back to her with the news that he wasn't doing great - it put her in great form and got her over the last stretch of grief:pac:

Advertisement