Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The D

Options
  • 17-09-2008 11:47am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi :) I'm thinking of getting my parents a gift voucher for a weekend stay at the D Hotel for their wedding anniversary.. What sort of things are there to do around Drogheda, we're from Dublin, don't think they've been in Drogheda.. Neither of them drink so pubs are out... Thanks in advance for any help..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Why the "D"? Its more expensive and looks like an empty museum decor and cold atmosphere-wise.
    You'd better off inquiring about The Westcourt Hotel in West St, the central street in town. Lovely rooms, warm atmosphere and better facilities.

...and nope, I don't work for them lol.

Facilities, there is the Millmount Museum, the Drogheda Arts Theater in Stockwell St, The Arts Gallery in Lawrences street to begin with.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Well I stayed at The G in Galway last year and was well impressed with it but don't want to send them THAT far afield.. and The D have a really good weekend package going.. Is it really that bad? I had a look at the website, thought it just looked a bit uber modern as opposed to cold.. I'll have a look at the one you recommended though, thanks.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sandi65

The D is certainly a nice quite place to stay and is beside the scotch hall shopping centre. as someone said there is milmount musuem and laurences gate, highlane gallery if ur mam and dad are into shops there is the laurence town centre as well would give them a few euro as well to hit the shops lol. westcourt is central but there is a night club underneath so the constant thump thump of the music might not suit your parents. you could also Scholars Town house as well its in Palace st just up the way from laurences gate has a good rep as well think it mayb connected with the D. hope this has helped

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

dance4.gif
    Rest assured, there is no thump, thump heard from above coming from the disco well below and far out to the back. The area that is the disco is separate to the hotel at the rear and is not under the main part of the hotel at all. I worked and stayed in the hotel during my career in the leisure industry and never heard the sounds from it ever. Above the disco at the back, there is absolutely nothing except massive function rooms above it. The bedrooms of the hotel are at the far front of the hotel facing out on to the main street, West street. The rooms by the way are sound proofed. Not because of traffic but for people's privacy and night time activity reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭mynameis..

I would recomend the D, the westcourt and boyne valley both need total revamps, the D is nice, beside waterfront, shopping and within easy reach of all attractions. Same goes for Scholars, which is a real treat for food but the pics they display on website for their rooms look so un inviting. The D is probably the best for guaranteeing luxury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

I had dinner in the d recently, and it was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

I would also go with the 'D' Hotel. Nice and minimalist, food is also very good.

The Westcourt is a bit 'chintzy', plus I am sure your parent's wont want to be bumping into all the night revelers along West St, as another poster said, it could do with a refurb.

Scholars is old CBS school, its a bit like marmite, you either love it or hate it. I have eaten there 3 times. They go over the top with 'is everything ok', the food is only average. I am in the 'dislike it' brigade :D

If they fancy Italian food go to Borzalino's.

They could also visit New Grange and Battle of Boyne Site

Tripadvisor link

Advertisement