Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

speed camera question

Options
  • 17-09-2008 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭

hi guys, just want to ask a question,

i stupidly had the foot down as i was late for work the other morning, didnt slow down in a 50km zone was probaly doing 65km maybe 70, there was a garda with a speed camera at the side of the road, I put the breaks on when i saw the car, but that was probably too late, anyway i thought he would put the hand up to stop me but he didnt,

it was a hand held machine, not sure if it was a speed radar gun, or an actual camera with my face going oh ****e im done for now in the picture. so now im wondering will they send out notice in the post, or do they have to stop you when its a hand held. Im not a serial offender and really gutted and mad at myself that i could and deserve my first 2 penalty points (Ive my full licence 7years and the only ticket i ever got was for parking) Guess i will have to wait few months to find out in the post for certain, but if anyone can calm my nerves id really appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

If it's handheld they have to stop you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

i stupidly had the foot down as i was late for work the other morning, didnt slow down in a 50km zone was probaly doing 65km maybe 70, there was a garda with a speed camera at the side of the road, I put the breaks on when i saw the car, but that was probably too late, anyway i thought he would put the hand up to stop me but he didnt,

it was a hand held machine, not sure if it was a speed radar gun, or an actual camera with my face going oh ****e im done for now in the picture. so now im wondering will they send out notice in the post, or do they have to stop you when its a hand held. Im not a serial offender and really gutted and mad at myself that i could and deserve my first 2 penalty points (Ive my full licence 7years and the only ticket i ever got was for parking) Guess i will have to wait few months to find out in the post for certain, but if anyone can calm my nerves id really appreciate it.

If it was on a tripod your screwed

If he was using a handheld own your grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think you'll be fine. And even if you do get done, 2 points is still not the end of the world.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

if you have 100 meters or more of clear road ahead they wont even bother unless theres a chopper near by.

they have to to flag you over...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I really wish there was a number you could ring up to find out these things. If they have up to 6 months to send you your points, then you could easily rack up 12 points before you're even aware of having any, which is the whole point of the point system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

cormie wrote: »
    If they have up to 6 months to send you your points, then you could easily rack up 12 points before you're even aware of having any, which is the whole point of the point system.
    Not without breaking the speed limit, you couldn't.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭bored and tired

thanks guys it was definately a hand held as he was hiding behind a wall and using the wall to support his arms, crouching tiger hidden garda.

It did look like he was thinking about stopping me, but then he put the camera up again, so i guess i was either lucky that the poor eejit behind me was lifting, or he was just there to slow the road down again. I know its a 50 but its not really built up, and lots of people drive through there a lot faster than i was doing, I drive the road every day and Ive even been over taken a few times for slowing down, id say it was like catching fish in a barrell.

Im just worried as he seemed to hold it really close to his face like he was taking pictures, but i always thought that pictures were on a tripod. Anyway im going to stop worrying, and just get on with it, its not the end of the world, just a pain in the ass to admit to my h2b that i finally got penalty points. If i do hes going to fall off his chair laughing when he finds out, God the mortification.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭damalo

if its the hand held one then you're fine as that doesnt have the ability to take the pictures.

I've had a few near misses with the tripod based camera and once thought I was done but nothing as of yet (couple of months down the line). I think the tripod is more for taking pictures anyways because I always see them carefully lining it up along the roadside

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'm pretty sure I've seen pointed out here many times that it doesn't matter if it was handheld, tripod or whatever, that you can still be caught without being stopped. Hope somebody proves me wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

Im just worried as he seemed to hold it really close to his face like he was taking pictures

if he was holding it up to his face like that it was a laser speed gun and they have to be aimed precisley at the car targeted to get a reading

like on this youtube video.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n58ghL7rfNU

this should answer the question "did i brake in time?" also :eek:

chances are not!!! :(

Edit : if he didnt pull you over at the scene you should be in the clear BTW :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I was photographed doing 72 in a 60 limit area in July last year. Got a notice in October. 60 yoyos + 2points. Sent the cash by return. Blow me down, got a reply from them in early November telling me that my points were effective from 7th November 2007. Anyone know if it is usual that your peno points are valid when they decide or when the offence occurs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

from the date of issue not the offence date unfortunately.
    I was photographed doing 72 in a 60 limit area in July last year. Got a notice in October. 60 yoyos + 2points. Sent the cash by return. Blow me down, got a reply from them in early November telling me that my points were effective from 7th November 2007. Anyone know if it is usual that your peno points are valid when they decide or when the offence occurs ?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They don't apply the points until you 'confess' in case you decide to appeal.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

does anyone know how long points last for?

i cant find it anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

irishbird wrote: »

i cant find it anywhere

3 years from date off issue not the date off offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TheBigFella

irishbird wrote: »

i cant find it anywhere

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56126759

There was a thread asking this before, check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

i stupidly had the foot down as i was late for work the other morning, didnt slow down in a 50km zone was probaly doing 65km maybe 70, there was a garda with a speed camera at the side of the road.

Where, as a matter of interest?

Advertisement