Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it true that

• 17-09-2008 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

you can't switch to another course if you failed the current one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

No that's not true.

You can switch a different course if you fail your current one, but you'll have to do it through the CAO like you did the first time around after the leaving cert, although I'm pretty sure it's too late to at this stage.

Also you wont be eligible for free fee's for years you've already done, ie. if you failed first year and transfer to first year of a differen course you'll have to pay full fee's that year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

Yes you can switch degree programmes BUT there is restrictions… it depends on your case.

If you have not completed (ie. passed) year 1 then you can apply for an internal transfer (without reference to CAO) BUT you must have attained at least the minimum points for the course you want to transfer into, plus meet any specific requirements AND then its not automatic, it’s the programme boards decision - and then will review it very very carefully.

If you have completed year 1 of a degree, then it usually is a bit easier and the CAO points is not an issue.
    Either way, it will cost you a fees fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

H2G2 wrote: »
    If you have not completed (ie. passed) year 1 then you can apply for an internal transfer (without reference to CAO) BUT you must have attained at least the minimum points for the course you want to transfer into, plus meet any specific requirements AND then its not automatic, it’s the programme boards decision - and then will review it very very carefully.

Speaking from experience since I myself did an internal transfer this year and it's all done through the CAO under a special category because when you transfer to a new course after failing a different course you must go through the CAO like everyone else applying to that course.

You might be thinking of an internal transfer for someone who basically changed their mind and wanted to do a different course having not sat their christmas/summer exams yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Well I probably won't need to go through the CAO, think I'd be able to get direct entry.

Advertisement