Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to join a club?

Options
  • 17-09-2008 12:33pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭

With the racing season ending now and clubs shifting their focus to training, now might be a good time. My own club, Orwell Wheelers, are taking new members on from the beginning of October. They are running beginners and 'step up' spins every Sunday morning from 9:30 outside Joe Daly's bike shop in Dundrum. More details here and here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Sweet, I was really considering this. What is the policy with races, do you have to compete in a certain percentage per year to remain in the club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭nortal

el tonto wrote: »
    With the racing season ending now and clubs shifting their focus to training, now might be a good time. My own club, Orwell Wheelers, are taking new members on from the beginning of October. They are running beginners and 'step up' spins every Sunday morning from 9:30 outside Joe Daly's bike shop in Dundrum. More details here and here.

I had planned on joining a club this year, i live in stepaside so the location is perfect i don't ride that often so the 60km min may have to be worked on. At present i am in traing for the dublin marathon so i could be november before i could join you is that too late

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Sweet, I was really considering this. What is the policy with races, do you have to compete in a certain percentage per year to remain in the club?

You don't have to race at all if you don't want to. There's a good proportion of members in almost every club who don't race and are just in it for training/touring and sportifs.
    nortal wrote: »
    I had planned on joining a club this year, i live in stepaside so the location is perfect i don't ride that often so the 60km min may have to be worked on. At present i am in traing for the dublin marathon so i could be november before i could join you is that too late

I'd say it's likely that the initial spins will be very gentle and if you're in any way fit you should manage. If you want to leave it to November, it wouldn't be too late. They say they're only going to push the distances out after Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

Didn't realise you were a member of Orwell, El tonto. Got in touch with John Marron there a couple of weeks back about joining.

Should I go along on the beginners/step-up spins etc? Don't have a clue what my standard would be like in cycling circles!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

i was thinking of joining orwell too, since i live in dundrum
    same concerns as Peadar

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Didn't realise you were a member of Orwell, El tonto. Got in touch with John Marron there a couple of weeks back about joining.

Should I go along on the beginners/step-up spins etc? Don't have a clue what my standard would be like in cycling circles!

I'm only a relatively recent arrival, having joined midway through the season and to date have just shown up for a few races etc. I'd say go out with the beginner/step up group if you're just joining and then move on to the middle/fast group if it suits. You're very strong already, but it might be an idea to put a week or two in with the first group to learn the ropes on group riding and make yourself known to people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I just joined the UCD Cycling Club..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

I'm only a relatively recent arrival, having joined midway through the season and to date have just shown up for a few races etc. I'd say go out with the beginner/step up group if you're just joining and then move on to the middle/fast group if it suits. You're very strong already, but it might be an idea to put a week or two in with the first group to learn the ropes on group riding and make yourself known to people.

Sounds like a plan, thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

Think I'll sign up, starting the weekend of either the 5th or 12th of October ..
    I have to be away one of those weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

fish-head wrote: »
    I just joined the UCD Cycling Club..

me too:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Huzzah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭memorex

Does anyone know if Bray Wheelers and/or Sorrento do beginners spins? I live out that way so those clubs would be more convenient. I am not an experienced road cyclist, just a commuter, so definitely would not be able to jump into long hard spins just yet!

Thanks for any info.

Cheers,
    -mem

memorex wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Bray Wheelers and/or Sorrento do beginners spins? I live out that way so those clubs would be more convenient. I am not an experienced road cyclist, just a commuter, so definitely would not be able to jump into long hard spins just yet!

Thanks for any info.

Cheers,
    -mem

I went out with Bray Wheelers a few times last summer on their Saturday morning training spins. They're nice people. Spins were around 100km at an average speed of around 25kph, which is quite easy when you're travelling in a bunch. I know that sounds long, but I remember one week some new people came along and they turned back with one of the more experienced members in order to get a shorter spin in. I'd give them or Sorrento a ring and ask them when's the best time to join and if they've any beginner spins lined up.

Most clubs don't have a massive amount on their websites and I've found that calling them is the best option to get information.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

when's the best time to join and if they've any beginner spins lined up.

its the same for all clubs...once the winter spins begin in a few weeks then it is the best time for beginners, each club have specific
    dates to when there spins begin, so you really only need to find out when there winter spins begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Can anyone out of bray wheelers on here tell me what the club league is like - are there many in it, etc?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Thanks for any info.

Cheers,
    -mem

I'm in Sorrento. We are starting "Tours" next month and every month till about next March. Touring pace, very easy, around Wicklow. Stops for food etc. See website even though none are announced yet I think. 4/5 hours, you can drop out anywhere obviously. It's a casual thing like with all clubs.

The Saturday / Sunday morning spins, 10am under the bridge at Kilmacanogue, Bray, Sorrento and anyone else who cares to join in, towards the end of these runs you'll get a good workout. ie the pace picks up for the last 5/10 miles to simulate racing. Completely different to "Touring Spins". These go all year round.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Can anyone out of bray wheelers on here tell me what the club league is like - are there many in it, etc?

http://www.braywheelers.com/results_club.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Planet X wrote: »

Genius. why didn't i think of that?! cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Harpz

Can anyone give any info on clubs in and around cork city....(beyond whats available on the cycling ireland website)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

-mem

Sorry for delay replying just reading this thread now. We have spins every Saturday and Sunday from 10.00am from N11 just south of Kilmacanogue. This time of year is the best time to come out as the pace is a lot easier. As it's the end of the season. Our spins to last from 3 to 5 hours but there are usually people turning back early for one reason or another. We will also have faster groups starting later on in the year for people who will be racing next year.

If anyone would like more information you can PM me or contact us via the braywheelers website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

Genius. why didn't i think of that?! cheers!

Our Bray Wheelers club leagues runs every Thursday from late April to end of July every year. We have two separate leagues (Spring & Summer) both consisting of 5 races. A separate ladies league is also run in conjunction with these leagues.

All races are run on a handicapped basis with riders being set of in groups with people of similar abilities.

We use a number of courses in wicklow mainly run around places such as Roundwood, Laragh, NetownmountKennedy etc..

We also have an InterClub league with Sorrento and Murphy&Gunn which is again run over 5 races and is handicapped based

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Lucan CRC are doing a newbies run from "the shop" (Stagg cycles, Lucan), 10am this Sat. Gonna dust-off the geared bike (sign to ward off evil) and give a try mesllf...

Advertisement