Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc Computing

Options
  • 17-09-2008 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭

http://www.lit.ie/departments/IT/MSC%20in%20Comp.html

Am thinking of applying for above. Probably next year as course is now full up. Anyone done this or know someone doing it and what are the job prospects out of it ?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭magicwand

Flaccus wrote: »
    http://www.lit.ie/departments/IT/MSC%20in%20Comp.html

Am thinking of applying for above. Probably next year as course is now full up. Anyone done this or know someone doing it and what are the job prospects out of it ?

thanks

Do you have any I.T experience allready? If you do id imagine it would be very useful if not prob not worth doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Yeah, 14 years industry experience in software engineering, and already have a undergrad, and a postgrad in computing. I should have said I was specifically interested in the Security and Digital Forensics stream of this course and if anyone knows what the job prospects are in Ireland for this ? Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Flaccas. My mate did the digital forensics course straight after getting his degree in computer systems. he got a 2.1 masters but can't find a job anywhere. I ended up having to get him a job where I work and he has been here for a year. Tech support analyst.
    I have a degree in Business computing. I'll be honest, unless you have experience working in an IT company for a few years and have genuine interest in it, I would not do it. I am thinking of doing it but will wait another few years.
    I also heard that it is NOT full this year. There were not enough people applying for the course therefore it never went ahead. I'm affraid to say IT is going seriously down hill. esspecially since Dell is leaving.

Yeah, 14 years industry experience in software engineering, and already have a undergrad, and a postgrad in computing. I should have said I was specifically interested in the Security and Digital Forensics stream of this course and if anyone knows what the job prospects are in Ireland for this ? Thanks.
    reply below.

TheLoc wrote: »
    Flaccas. My mate did the digital forensics course straight after getting his degree in computer systems. he got a 2.1 masters but can't find a job anywhere. I ended up having to get him a job where I work and he has been here for a year. Tech support analyst.
    I have a degree in Business computing. I'll be honest, unless you have experience working in an IT company for a few years and have genuine interest in it, I would not do it. I am thinking of doing it but will wait another few years.
    I also heard that it is NOT full this year. There were not enough people applying for the course therefore it never went ahead. I'm affraid to say IT is going seriously down hill. esspecially since Dell is leaving.

Mind me asking where your friend got the tech support analyst job?

• Advertisement

We're working in Castletroy industrial park. He actually wanted to go to Dublin but he can't find anything there in forensics either. so we're working here. It's good experience.

We're working in Castletroy industrial park. He actually wanted to go to Dublin but he can't find anything there in forensics either. so we're working here. It's good experience.

Thomson?

yep

yep

would you get in without I.T experience and a degree?

magicwand wrote: »
    would you get in without I.T experience and a degree?
    I don't think so. if you have experience in a related field you'd have a good chance. They wanted a degree in computer systems and a years exp when I went for it. I only had a degree in Business & computers which is a bit less techy and I had no experience in IT. but had a good interview. I think anyway :)

Why?

• Advertisement

I don't think so. if you have experience in a related field you'd have a good chance. They wanted a degree in computer systems and a years exp when I went for it. I only had a degree in Business & computers which is a bit less techy and I had no experience in IT. but had a good interview. I think anyway :)

Why?

Cause i wont have any experience either,thomson could be an option...is it boring work?alot of people say that type of work is soul destroying!
    Suppose ya have to get experience somehow eh,is any of it relevant to his degree?

It is relevant to his degree yes. Not really to mine. but I have to start somewhere. it is soul destroying. but for a graduate job, it is very good experience. if you wanted to get a job here without a degree, I would recommend you get a job in sykes out in Shannon for a couple of years. The hours are nomal business hours but I hear the work is horrible. after after that you might be able to get a job here (not sure as they do specify a degree too). the job we have here is shift work and we rotate from nights to days. its all 12 hour shifts. but every second week we only work 2 days/nights. I'm delighted to have this job but it's a stepping stone more than anything. i've been at work all day today and I am sick of lookin at screens. and i'm wrecked. i'd prefer to be doing more pro-active work. I may look into the business side of my degree because computers is fairly boring stuff.

Thanks for the info. After a bit of looking around it does look like digital forensics hasn't exactly taken off here yet. I'll probably do the MSc Software Engineering next year in UL. Decided to go for MCSE certification this year.

Well Done. And goodluck. A Masters in anythin is going to be very difficult. :)

Thanks for the info. After a bit of looking around it does look like digital forensics hasn't exactly taken off here yet. I'll probably do the MSc Software Engineering next year in UL. Decided to go for MCSE certification this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

Hey, prob bit late reply, but I just finished that very Masters course in LIT, it was tough, very tough (but any Masters will be, you need to put in the work like anything)

As for the job ops, somebody said that forensics here is slow (I'm assuming here in Ireland) which unless your in Dublin, it will be. But its not all forensics, its security too. Also the course covers Networking and Project Management, so there are options, its not just a course dedicated to forensics.

If you have the time and money, I would do it, if you desperately need a job, then prob wait a bit. Depends what you want really... they say that IT is slowing down in colleges, which in a way is a good thing because years ago everybody and his dog was doing an IT course and the market was flooded, but as people retire now and new blood is needed the demand is greater, and in this sense there should be more jobs than IT people, making it easier for people with less experience to get a job!
    Trust me, I came to Ireland (from UK) 8 years ago and struggled for nearly 2 years getting a job, I eventually got something, and moved around a couple of times (obviously its easier and you can be less fussy when your in a job to look for a better position) and I'm now a Software Engineer for a good company and they let me do the Masters in LIT part-time to better by education!

Go for it if you can and good luck in job hunting!

DG.

My friend Breda just finished that course too. part-time this year. u prob know her. she is now working with me also as she could not find a job either. My house mate and her would love to go to dublin and have gone for interviews up there. I think 2 each in the last 2 years. But they said they can't get anything anywhere security wise.
    I think the masters is better to do if your interested in it or like you, your company allows you to do it and you keep your job which is excellent. But if your looking for a job, I recommend doing the IBM/HP hardware courses. there are only 10 HP hardware engineers in the country. The HP guy that works with me says that everyone is looking for jobs in software but at the moment, hardware is the way to go. you'll snap up a job straight away. it's very well paid too. I'm going to do them in the next few weeks. My 2 friends that did the masters are doing it too since they can't get anyother jobs.

Yeah, I know Breda.

It is tough getting a job these days, especially with everwhere closing down and I personally don't fancy Dublin, I'm happy where I am in the south-east.

Hopefully things will pick up for software folk, and at the end of the day, you'll have the Masters for life!

Never thought of hardware, what would that be? Wouldit be like switch boxes, servers, all that stuff? I'm assuming its not PCs as anybody can dissect a PC and understand the basics of it.

DG.

yea its working in a datacenter and taking servers and switches(not so much) appart and fixing them. replacing parts, running diags, narrowing down problems. not as hard as software engineering but the pay is surprisingly extremely good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Swindon

was thinking of doing this, told sony ericsson in athlone were recruiting from this course bigtime especially on the forensics stream,is this true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Just as I leave college and find an area I'm really interested in (security & networks) these Masters turn up :/

If I'd stayed in Limerick I'd probably be seriously considering doing this Masters now.
    Swindon wrote: »
    was thinking of doing this, told sony ericsson in athlone were recruiting from this course bigtime especially on the forensics stream,is this true?

We are not Sony Ericsson, the company in Athlone is Ericsson not the other crew. Sony Ericsson is a joint venture between Sony and Ericsson. Ericsson may own 50% of them but they're not the same company.

• Advertisement

But if your looking for a job, I recommend doing the IBM/HP hardware courses. there are only 10 HP hardware engineers in the country. The HP guy that works with me says that everyone is looking for jobs in software but at the moment, hardware is the way to go. you'll snap up a job straight away. it's very well paid too. I'm going to do them in the next few weeks. My 2 friends that did the masters are doing it too since they can't get anyother jobs.

Do you know specifically which of these courses it is :

http://h41156.www4.hp.com/education/curriculum.aspx?cc=uk&ll=en

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

Just wondering about anyone who has finished the course in 2009. have the job prospects in the security field improved in the last year or so.

I was looking at doing this course in September but again would like to know there are some job prospects at the end of it.

I got a job, but had to move to the UK to get it! There is sweet fup all in Ireland to be honest (not just forensics, but across the board!)

It took me the best part of a year to get a job. Its not easy, but if you persevere you will get one.

I would do the course as its very interesting and I'm sure (if its similar to my Masters in forensics) it covers other IT areas like networking, security, project management, etc. Not just pure, 100% forensics! (I got mine from LIT in 2008)

Advertisement