Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who wants a Google phone?

• 17-09-2008 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭

I do!!! Can't wait to hear more on Tuesday when apparently they're announcing the specs, reviews, etc

It looks lovely and I can't see Google releasing something that isn't top quality, it just wouldn't be like them. This is the one challenging my plans for getting a Blackberry.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Not me. I don't see why it should be anything great. They have zero track record in this area so I suspect it will take a long time, maybe years, for the platform to mature to where its up with the best.

I also see it as being very Google centric which is not what I want in a handset. Too much of my data with one company scares me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭peejay1986

elderlemon wrote: »
    Not me. I don't see why it should be anything great. They have zero track record in this area so I suspect it will take a long time, maybe years, for the platform to mature to where its up with the best.

I also see it as being very Google centric which is not what I want in a handset. Too much of my data with one company scares me.

They don't have experience but HTC, the company actually manufacturing the phone, do. What experience did Apple have in the mobile market, none, and yet they made an incredibly successful debut with the iPhone.

I love the fact that it'll mostly be Google software. To me thats better as there'll be no conflicting software and it'll all be made specifically for that phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

I know HTC well. Used to be a customer of mine. Sure the hardware will be pretty good but what about the OS and the integration with the hardware. It takes time to make an OS work well with hardware and the different platforms.

The iphone, in my opinion, is a very poor phone. Great UI but has so many missing pieces as to only make a 5 on my scale of 1 to 10. Here they are in their second version and they are still trying to get the OS to manage power and network usage correctly (latest 2.1 update). Add to that the OS isn't multitasking (can you listen to music when browsing the net or running other apps) , never mind the missing features that we've come to take for granted in even the most basic handsets.

Poor devices are easy to make. its the good ones that take time.

peejay1986 wrote: »
    They don't have experience but HTC, the company actually manufacturing the phone, do. What experience did Apple have in the mobile market, none, and yet they made an incredibly successful debut with the iPhone.

Well. Seems to me like we're moving back to more restricted and closed platforms rather than open and flexible offerings. Kind of like what the computer business was 10/15 years ago before we all got sense - Not for me thanks. I want to decide what I do with my handset , what application I run on it ,where my data is kept and who has access to it.
    peejay1986 wrote: »
    I love the fact that it'll mostly be Google software. To me thats better as there'll be no conflicting software and it'll all be made specifically for that phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I find the good thing that will come out of the Android platform is that it won't be restricted to just one handset and will be a lot more open-ended compared to the competition.

I understand people's opinions that Google don't have the relevant experience in the field, but given the fact that they have had huge success in several fields now I doubt they will shoot themselves in the foot by bringing a failed product to the market.

Advertisement