Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Novice Surfer

Options
  • 17-09-2008 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

hi,

i'm looking at going on hols to learn to Surf. How physically fit do you need to be to surf? My g/f is also wondering how much upper body strength is needed.

Cheers,
    Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

your fitness will limit your ability to progress and the size of swells you could go out in. same story with upper body strength really imo but not to the same extent. strength is probably not the correct word though, to paddle a board you dont need very powerful arms or shoulders. more upper body 'fitness'.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

popping up is almost the same motion as a pressup. After your first session your arms WILL be hanging off you and will be sore for a couple days.

practice your pressups and you'll be grand, enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Thanks for the advice. The course I am thinking of in Ninth Beach near Lisbon. It would be 2hrs daily over 5 days.

I'm not that fit at all, neither is the girlfriend. Would this be a really bad idea? We have about 4 weeks to hols - what type of exercises woudl you reccommend?

swimming, press-ups as gerk said.

why dont you go surfing around ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

lg123 wrote: »
    swimming, press-ups as gerk said.

why dont you go surfing around ireland?

I fancy some sun & cheap beer!

• Advertisement

cant argue with that, but in the interim?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Would this be a really bad idea?
    Not at all. You will hurt, but it will be a good hurt. You may find that the fun makes up for the aching body, apart from the one day where you cannot actually move :D

Advertisement