Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much sleep do you have on a work night?

Options
  • 17-09-2008 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

Recently I have starter feeling very tired but nothing obvious has changed about my lifestyle. I average 6-7 hrs sleep on a work night and 9-10 at the weekends. I sleep well & rarely wake suring the night.

I'm just wondering if maybe this is caused by not getting enogh sleep at night??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I don't give myself even close to enough sleep, especially on work nights. I normally go to bed about 1.30 - 2 am. Sometime even later. Get up then between 8.15 - 8.30. Average less than 6 hours i'd say. I do feel tired quiet often but at this stage i think my body is adapting because i've been doing this for so long, which is probably not a good thing!

I'm gonna seriously have to try and start averaging 7+ hours. I'd be similar to you at weekends, but with a hangover or two thrown in! We need to get more sleep full stop I reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Mabye 7? 8 is the reccomended but It's difficult to get on a weeknight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I've been in my new job going into my 3rd week, I work 6 days a week starting at 8am (I wake up at 6) and usually finishing about 8pm, all physical work-- exhausting. So for the first week and a half or so I would be in bed by 10:30ish. But since about Friday I've been coming home at ridiculous hours (5am last night, and last night was a Tuesday...) and getting very little sleep, but I still manage to wake up feeling energized and awake.

Must be all the Guinness...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

How's your diet? After I gave up booze, caffeine and junk food I only needed about 5 hours sleep a night. I'm back on the booze and caffeine somewhat and I now need 8 hours per night...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

AARRRGH wrote: »
    How's your diet? After I gave up booze, caffeine and junk food I only needed about 5 hours sleep a night. I'm back on the booze and caffeine somewhat and I now need 8 hours per night...

I only have booze Friday, Saturday & maybe sunday. Don't drink coffee or any energy drink. Maybe one can of coke a day so caffine failry limited

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It differs for everyone. Some people need the full 8 hours, others need only 6 or so (I fall into the latter category myself, but I do get about 8 hours at the weekends).

Lavendar is supposed to be a sleep aid, as is avoiding caffeine obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I sleep about six to seven hours during during the working week and eight to ten at the weekend. Throw in booze and I am shagged. I like to think I can get by with little sleep but then I find myself going for naps in the jacks in work, so I guess I can't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I only have booze Friday, Saturday & maybe sunday.
    LOL at "only". That's a lot of booze. Maybe it's catching up on you. I find oversleeping wrecks me. Anything more than seven hours and I'm sluggish. Perhaps don't sleep in at the weekends...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Boozing on a Saturday, for me screws up the whole next week, unless I only have about 4 pints.

The main problem is that although you sleep on the Saturday night, it's not restful sleep. So you try to catch up on Sunday, but the late night on Saturday, coupled with your brain cheimstry being screwed up means that you don't wake up very refreshed on the Monday morning. It can then be difficult to rectify this during the next week because you're too awake to go to bed before 11pm.

I recently had a weekend where I only had a few pints on the Friday and then wasn't out on the Saturday. I functioned for the whole next week on about 7 hours sleep a night (about normal for me) and was wide awake in the mornings. I reckon if I kept off the booze I could probably function on about 6 hours sleep a night.

If your sleep is affecting your life, you need to look at ways of sorting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I must be a freak - I sometimes go to bed 10.30 - 11 and still find it impossible to get up at 7 the next morning. I love my bed too much. Usually, however only get about 7 hours a night and I do be wrecked most of the time during the week. Weekends I'll easily sleep 10-12 hours unless i went out the night before.

I'd love to get it down to 7 hours a night and wake up fully energised. Should give up coffee!!

• Advertisement

Where's the fun in having no coffee or booze?

I find Friday night is a great night for boozing. You die on Saturday, sleep (badly) on Saturday night and are normally tired enough to sleep well on Sunday. Of course if you drink Saturday as well you're going to be screwed come Monday. Or maybe I'm just getting old?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

..... but It's difficult to get on a weeknight.

Why?

Dudess wrote: »
    LOL at "only". That's a lot of booze. Maybe it's catching up on you. I find oversleeping wrecks me. Anything more than seven hours and I'm sluggish. Perhaps don't sleep in at the weekends...

Friday, Sat & maybe Sunday is not a lot! i have nothing mid week & am not excatly binging at the weekends! A few socialable drinkies... !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Ask your doctor to do a few blood tests. If you're suddenly tired without a change in diet, exercise or sleep, it could be a simple physiological cause. You could have an infection that you're unaware of (I had a kidney infection for weeks that I didn't know about, but it was making me really tired) or you could be a bit low in iron. Do you have a cold or anything?

It could simply be that you're started to need more sleep a night. I can't function on less than 8 hours, usually. Try going to bed an hour or two earlier every night for a week, and see if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭jessbeth

Lot of things could be causing you to be feeling tired, get your bloods done as you may be low in iron or something else that would make you feel drained. I personally get around 7 hours a night and that's alright. Everybody is different and some people need more and some people need less but if the 6 hours has been alright for years and now suddenly it isn't enough get a checkup to rule out any deficiencies and if that's all ok then you might be just getting old :p

Faith wrote: »
    Ask your doctor to do a few blood tests. If you're suddenly tired without a change in diet, exercise or sleep, it could be a simple physiological cause. You could have an infection that you're unaware of (I had a kidney infection for weeks that I didn't know about, but it was making me really tired) or you could be a bit low in iron. Do you have a cold or anything?

It could simply be that you're started to need more sleep a night. I can't function on less than 8 hours, usually. Try going to bed an hour or two earlier every night for a week, and see if that helps.

Just got them back:
    Anemia - normal
    Thyroid - normal
    Diabetes - notmal
    FBC - normal
    White cell cout - normal
    Cholesterol - lower than average!

Has anyone tried Pharmaton??

Why?

Well I might be up past 12 studying or finishing homework for the next day and I have to get up at 7 15 or so.

Homework? Are you a teenager? Teenagers need more sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I tend to sleep about 5-7 hours a night during the week, and slightly more (7-9 hours a night) at the weekend.

silvine wrote: »

17, how much more sleep?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

weekdays 3-4
    weekends 8-9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭gabigeist

silvine wrote: »
    I found the exact opposite. 5 hours sleep was the norm for the teenage years but needed more as a kid and need WAY more now- 30 y/o and need the full 8 hours.
    Must have been those ragin hormones... god I miss them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Friday, Sat & maybe Sunday is not a lot! i have nothing mid week & am not excatly binging at the weekends! A few socialable drinkies... !

But I find if I drink on more than one night at the weekends that the alcohol affects my ability to fall asleep on Sunday thus having a knock-effect for the week. Even if I don't drink a lot, the fact that there's alcohol in my system for that length of time affects my sleeping pattern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

I must be a freak - I sometimes go to bed 10.30 - 11 and still find it impossible to get up at 7 the next morning. I love my bed too much. Usually, however only get about 7 hours a night and I do be wrecked most of the time during the week. Weekends I'll easily sleep 10-12 hours unless i went out the night before.

I'd love to get it down to 7 hours a night and wake up fully energised. Should give up coffee!!

LOL you're not a freak, i'm usually in bed by 10.30 latest, I'm up way past my bed time right now!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

I have to be up at about 7am every morning.
    I have tried going to bed at 10.30, to get 8.5 hours, but can't get to sleep as my thinking clogs are still whizzing in my head!!!

I have often slept for 2 hours when I get home at 6.30, and then go to bed again at about 11. No luck.

Basically, no matter if I get 4 hours sleep, or 8/9, I am still exhausted in the morning!!!

Uusually if I have my porridge in the morning I am OK.
    I kinda like being dazed in work, it numbs the pain...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭sportswear

are you overweight, smoke, snore, history of sleep apnoa?

consider doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

I sleep 2 or 3 hours a night during the course of a week. I have had sleeping issues since my mid-teens. I don't tire too much like one might expect from that clearly lack of sleep and I don't get ill very often - however that said, when I do get ill, a simple cold for example, it can take weeks before my body will get over it.

Recently a friend mentioned to me about power-napping. So I gave it a try; basically, every 4 hours or so I'd lie down and relax and sleep for about 20 minutes and wake up, usually naturally without the need of an alarm. I find that has helped me an incredible amount and when I can manage to do it I feel much fresher than I ever was before. With 2 to 3 hours sleep a night, every bit extra helps ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I reckon I only get 5 hours a night, average, during the week anyway. If I go to bed at 12, i'll lie there till 1 at least and then wake up around 6, even though I have to get up. I just can't understand how people go to bed and fall asleep immediately, I'm jealous of it. My mind always races like crazy, there are so many things to think about in the world! Drinking REALLY messes up my sleep. If I binge drink on a saturday, I don't sleep at all on Sunday nights, maybe just an hour or two of crappy in-and-out nightmareish sleep. I think I get really bad DTs nowadays when hungover and a big saturday night takes till wednesday now or so to get it out of my system. Anyway every monday at work I'm an absolute MESS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭carlowguy32

i fall into the category of going to bed at 10.30 and up for 7, but with 2 kids under 4 you can be up during the night too, and no chance of a lie in at the weekend, if i go to bed at 3 or 4 of a sat night im still up for 8, i get my lie ins during the week, i do be too shattered to lie there without falling asleep, im out like a light when my head hits the pillow

Advertisement