Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband suggestions

Options
  • 17-09-2008 2:20pm

I just moved into a flat in Drumcondra last week. I had intended to get broadband with UPC but they told me that it's not available at my address. There is a phone line in the flat but it's dead and therefore if I want to sign up to DSL there'll be a €125 connection fee and I'll need to wait between 4-6 weeks.

The only other options I can think of are the HSDPA modems and Ripwave/Clearwire - none of which are very ideal for me. Is it just a case of me being snookered for up to 6 weeks so? Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

€125 fee is for a new line install. If the line is already in place, and has a dial tone, then it's about €25 to activate it. It also shouldn't take 6 weeks, even for a new line install. It's likely that eircom would connect the line in a week or two, then it takes another week or two for DSL. So 2 weeks is best case, 4 weeks worst.

Is Digiweb Metro an option for you? Need line of sight and an external antenna, which could be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

sorry not related to original post but i m really offended by this line,
    jor el wrote: »
    It also shouldn't take 6 weeks, even for a new line install. It's likely that eircom would connect the line in a week or two,

you know how long i have to wait to get eircom line installed? seriously do you have any idea?
    let me tell you and i think i broke all previous record
    it took them more then 12 months to install line in papers only:mad: and then just bills not even a single socket in place to connect phone.

€125 fee is for a new line install. If the line is already in place, and has a dial tone, then it's about €25 to activate it. It also shouldn't take 6 weeks, even for a new line install. It's likely that eircom would connect the line in a week or two, then it takes another week or two for DSL. So 2 weeks is best case, 4 weeks worst.

Is Digiweb Metro an option for you? Need line of sight and an external antenna, which could be an issue.
    I tried plugging a phone into it and it's completely dead, no dial tone at all. That was when the rep said it would be €125 and then the usual warning that the line may not be suitable for ADSL even after it is reactivated.

I'm not sure about Metro... it's a rented flat and there's also a railway bridge (possibly) blocking my line of sight to the south.

wasim21k wrote: »
    you know how long i have to wait to get eircom line installed? seriously do you have any idea?

Well it took me less than 3 weeks from ordering a new line from eircom, to having Smart broadband running, so that's what I'm basing my timeline on. Obviously there can be delays, but I'd hope 12 months is the exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

The 12 months is also in breach of eircom uso not that they care anyway.

MC

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

wasim21k wrote: »
    sorry not related to original post but i m really offended by this line,

let me tell you and i think i broke all previous record
    it took them more then 12 months to install line in papers only:mad: and then just bills not even a single socket in place to connect phone.

jor el started the standard time frame, unfortunately it can happen when line provision is delayed, I heard of a whole housing estate in Cork where ti took about 18 months to get phone lines in

Cabaal wrote: »
    jor el started the standard time frame, unfortunately it can happen when line provision is delayed, I heard of a whole housing estate in Cork where ti took about 18 months to get phone lines in

If only we had a regulator to stamp out this sort of thing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If only we had a regulator to stamp out this sort of thing.

a regulator with actual powers perhaps? :)

I decided to go ahead and order the phone line. So far, jor el has been spot on! Eircom installed the line today, it's only been about a week since I ordered it. In Drumcondra the lines can be on either Summerhill, Whitehall or Phibsboro, I was hoping they'd hook me up to Summerhill so I could take advantage of BT LLU but I'm on Phibsboro instead - oh well, 3 meg will do. Hopefully it won't take too long for the DSL now.

Karsini wrote: »
    I was hoping they'd hook me up to Summerhill so I could take advantage of BT LLU but I'm on Phibsboro instead - oh well, 3 meg will do. Hopefully it won't take too long for the DSL now.

Are Smart on the Phibsboro exchange? If so, switch to them ASAP. Otherwise, you should still get up to 7.6M off eircom/reseller.

Just checked, Cabra is, Phibsboro is not :(

• Advertisement

My DSL order has gone through, target date is October 10th. But now I'm worried it won't even work. I tried dialling up on the line last night and I can't get anything higher than 16.8k on it! The modem doesn't even try a V.90 connection, just goes straight in to V.34 at 16800bps.

Advertisement