Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chewing tru the kitchen

Options
  • 17-09-2008 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hey,

As some of you may have read my dog has to stay in the kitchen for the next few months. We were due to have him out the back during the day from last weekend but due to the circumstances now we have to keep him inside. The first few weeks when we had him he didnt go near anything in the kitchet, mayb part of the skirting board which didnt bother me as I can paint that but now that he is not aloud out at all the chewing is getting out of hand. The corners in the kitchen are all chewed, he is now going up around the door frame, the paint on the corners of the wall and now the chairs. My BF is at home this week and he could hear something coming from the kitchen, looked in and there was the little fellah chewing the chair... We have a spray and when we put it on it works as he sneezes but it wears off very quickly and thats it, away he goes. Anyone any tips on how to sort this?

Thanks,
    Lenni!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

its boredom. get him some toys or even better a big bone from the butchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

get him a KONG and fill it full of treats, if you freeze them too it keeps them occupied for longer. Just go and get loads of new toys and chews for him. Theres a ball thing too that you can put treats in and they play with it and the treats fall out, another thing to keep them busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Lenni

This is the problem, he cant even have treats, with his situation at the moment he is not alound anything other than his meals. He has lots of toys but doesnt really play with them that much. If he is still with us in 3 weeks time, he is gonna be in the kitchen for months.

You can use his own food and mix it with a bit of tuna or sardines or gravy or anything a bit tasty, mix it all up and fill the KONG with the mixture,

Have you tried putting him a crate? i know its not ideal, but the situation you are in if he not confined or doesnt have things to keep him occupied he will do damage, its just the way it is

Thats a great idea thank. I have a kong for him and put treats in it b4 but he couldnt get them out, I will try the gravy thing. Do you no the name of the ball you are talking bout

• Advertisement

god i dont, i saw it in a pet shop in navan, i got one ages ago for my rottweiler, but sure he had it broken in a few mins.
    You can put all diff things in a kong, look up kong recipes online and you should come up with loads of different stuff, peanut butter is one ive heard of, natural yoghurt too, jam, so have a look and see what u come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

A Buster Ball maybe?

This one is a small one for small dogs, but its just to show you waht it is Small Buster Ball

Get him a bigger one and it will keep him occupied, even if its only his meals you put into it. Dried kibble will fall out in a similar way to it falling out of a kong.. just slower :D

Yes Beth, thats what it is, my rottweiler managed to break it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

"bitter bite" spray, you can order it from your vets. Spray it around where he chews. Stopped my retriever chewing in about 2 days lol. But he was a bit thick:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Why did you get a puppy, particularly a Siberian husky puppy, when you're situation sounds completely wrong for bringing a puppy home?

to sum it up because your posts don't give much info.....

How many days/hours will the dog be alone each week?
    Are you going to be able to exersize him sufficiently when he is older?
    Will you have time to train & socialize him properly?

Why will he "be in the kitchen for months"?

I'm not trying to be horrible but I really don't think you researched caring for a dog properly before you got him because everything sounds rather chaotic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Opening a can of worms there Kerrygold! ;) This is the pup who has just been diagnosed with 'elbow displasia' and is wearing a cast on his leg (correct me if I'm wrong!)

Kerrysgold, There has been a whole other thread on this poor dog, please read it first then come back. It is very sad really.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055374777

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Tired

Glowing, yep your right, he does have a cast on his leg. I know Lenni personally and have seen Ziggy, bless him, he is full of beans but is restricted due to the cast. Like any pup if not more because of his situation, he is getting bored... I have an 11 week old pup aswell and to be honest we were looking forward to bringing them for walks together ( a bit of exercise for us aswell ) but will just have to wait and see what the diagnosis is from the Vet.

kerrysgold wrote: »
    Why did you get a puppy, particularly a Siberian husky puppy, when you're situation sounds completely wrong for bringing a puppy home?

to sum it up because your posts don't give much info.....

How many days/hours will the dog be alone each week?
    Are you going to be able to exersize him sufficiently when he is older?
    Will you have time to train & socialize him properly?

Why will he "be in the kitchen for months"?

I'm not trying to be horrible but I really don't think you researched caring for a dog properly before you got him because everything sounds rather chaotic.
    foot in mouth....

I didn't see the other thread. It is unfortunate about the pup's elbow so hopefully that can be sorted.

But still, leaving a pup at home all day is not a good situation even if he was 100% sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Tired

Kerrysgold to be honest with you, the pup is spoilt rotten, treated like another child in Lennis house, has everything a pup would ever need if not more. Up until he got his last needles i used to pop over and let him out the back for an hour of play and give him a feed, he was due to go out the back during the day until they got home but he cant do this now due to the cast. This was Lennis main concern when she first got the pup. He isn't allowed out the back anymore unless he is on a leash which restricts him from doing what any normal pup does. I know Lenni can talk or email for herself but slating her is not what she came on here for.. :)

Hey all,

Thanks for the support, ur all so nice!!! Glowing this is not a situation I wanted to be in but the way things I am doing for him at the moment are what has to be done to save this little pup. Believe u me this is not only hard on him, I have to watch him bursting with energy and not being able to do anything bout it...

kerrysgold wrote: »
    I didn't see the other thread. It is unfortunate about the pup's elbow so hopefully that can be sorted.

But still, leaving a pup at home all day is not a good situation even if he was 100% sound.
    every time you reply to a post your up on your high horse about something. person down the page asks about where to find a huskie and your on giving lectures about daily exercise etc....when someone comes on and asks a question your always straight in having a go about exercise and being left alone etc....even though it has nothing to do with the post. give it a rest, climb down from your soap box. you put your foot in it on this post because as usual you jumped straight in with your know all-ness.

not to hijack the thread, whitser, no offence but from your previous posts you seem to be of the old fashioned variety when it comes to looking after dogs i.e. they are fine outside can be left alone all day etc. so I'll stick to my opinions on keeping dogs happy and healthy the way that is supported by any good trainer/behaviourist/vet thank you.

my dogs are fine thank you. im probably keeping dogs since you were shxtting yellow in nappies. to be honest reading your posts you keep your dogs like humans and thats total bullshxt.
    dogs are fine outside,by the way.
    never advocated leaving dogs alone all day either.
    and i can assure you my dogs are happy,healthy and know their place in the pack.

• Advertisement

i might be of old fashioned variety as you call it. but your of the my dogs a person,airy fairy variety who humanises their dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Lenni wrote: »
    ...but the way things I am doing for him at the moment are what has to be done to save this little pup...

ahhh ... "saving" the pup ...come off it.

Let's recap for a minute:

- you decided you wanted a Husky, a high maintenance, high excercise breed even though that clashes with the fact that you're gone for most of the day

- you decided that you wanted a puppy, in the full knowledge that you wouldn't have the time available to look after it properly for more than a couple of weeks before it had to fend for itself out back while you were at work

- then you went off and bought the pup by the roadside from some dubious dealer without seeing the parents or where it had come from

- now it turns out that the poor pup has a severe disease and will probably need meds and operations for the rest of its life, if it makes it over the next four weeks at all

- so the poor little mite is now sitting in the kitchen all on its own, with a cast on, bored to tears, unlearning its toilet training, picking up new bad habits and behaviours.

So ..who exactly is being "saved" here? And from what exactly ?

I think you should leave Lenni alone, shes done her best and has made a mistake in buying the dog from a dodgy dealer, but many people have and will learn the hard way.

She has come on now to ask advice to stop the dog becoming bored and how to help it.

She is also giving the pup a chance where she could have easily had the dog put to sleep, so lay off her. She is doing a hell of a lot more for that pup than most people will do.

Do you no what Peasent, the name suits u!!! Everytime I post something you come on and have a go. Do you actually understand English, the dog is the one being saved. Do you not have anything better to do with your time than come on here and hav a go at people who are looking for advise, it doesnt say much about the kind of person you are. If I let him out the back for a run around there is no chance of him getting better, therefore he gets put down. And were exactly did you read that he is UNlearning his toilet training, because I never said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Quite frankly Lenni ...you are not my prior concern in this situation, but the dog is

I've gently hinted at it before in other posts, but it probably needs spelling out somewhat more directly.

I don't think that you are doing that dog any favours by trying to nurse it through a severe case of elbow dysplasia after work.
    That you can't be there is one part of the problem ...but even if you could, it is debatable if that dog will ever have the quality of life it deserves.

That it has the disease is not your fault, but that of the dubious breeder that bred it ...but I would suggest that you should think long and hard if you really are helping the dog with the course that you've embarked on.

Think long and hard??? What does it look like ive been doing. And to be honest Peasent, dont make MY dog ur concern. And dont worry bout spelling things out, I can see how ignorent you are without u spelling it out. I have read your views till now but if I see anymore of them on this thread I will be skipping over them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭leopardus

The site zooplus.ie have a couple of treat dispensers under 'Activity dog toys'. The everlasting treat ball is brilliant stuffed with small kibble that comes out straight away and larger stuff that takes a bit longer. Entertains for hours and lasts forever. Nicer texture than kongs as well.
    The Kong ball is also good but a bit easier for the dog to empty. Soft toys are also good. Vary the textures of the chew toys available, especially if teething. Good luck

Thanks leopardus,

Ill purchase this tomorrow, it looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

peasant wrote: »
    ahhh ... "saving" the pup ...come off it.

Let's recap for a minute:

- you decided you wanted a Husky, a high maintenance, high excercise breed even though that clashes with the fact that you're gone for most of the day

- you decided that you wanted a puppy, in the full knowledge that you wouldn't have the time available to look after it properly for more than a couple of weeks before it had to fend for itself out back while you were at work

- then you went off and bought the pup by the roadside from some dubious dealer without seeing the parents or where it had come from

- now it turns out that the poor pup has a severe disease and will probably need meds and operations for the rest of its life, if it makes it over the next four weeks at all

- so the poor little mite is now sitting in the kitchen all on its own, with a cast on, bored to tears, unlearning its toilet training, picking up new bad habits and behaviours.

So ..who exactly is being "saved" here? And from what exactly ?

And what do you suggest she do with the poor little mite now? Give it back to the breeder who will most likely put the dog to sleep?

She is trying to make the best of a bad situation and is prepared to put in the work and effort and take on the expense to help out this pup.
    Ok so she made a mistake, but fair play, she is trying here to do the best she can in the situation. Most people would have thrown the pup back. Her friend was dropping in during the day to help out. It's not perfect, but not many situations are. I'm starting to think that only the unemployed are able to offer a dog all of the time and devotion needed. Everyone else falls short by some measure or another.

I'm impressed with her attitude and wish her all the best.

Lenni try the Kong toys. So sorry for your poor little doggie. Hope she gets better soon.

• Advertisement

It is sad about the pup but all of this could have been prevented. i.e. by going to a reputable breeder with health tested dogs. by buying this pup you're encouraging the breeder to continue breeding "faulty" dogs thus causing more suffering to more dogs. how many people will buy pups and possible not bother getting them treatment if they have displasia? (sp)

Advertisement