Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading a bike ...advantages?

Options
  • 17-09-2008 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Well Lads/lassies,

I have a Trek 1000 that I bought nearly 2 years ago . I was told by the shop owner "it's a good starter bike" . I've seen fantastic bikes in Cycling Plus etc in the 1500 to 2000 euro price range . I would like to know , what differences would I expect to see if I was to (hypothetically ) upgrade to one of these higher spec models. I don't road -race and I'm not a member of a club , just do good mileage on my own . I have to say my Trek is a great bike but I've been wondering for the past while if I should upgrade .

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If you buy well, you'll get a lighter, stiff frame that will absorb the road buzz well. You'll also get a 10 speed groupset that shifts a bit more smoothly and needs less adjustment than the 8 speed stuff sold with the likes of the Trek 1000. And you'll get lighter wheels that are probably better constructed.

What you won't get is a significant boost in speed. Unless your current bike is on its last legs, the performance difference will be marginal. However, get the right bike at that price point and you'll probably get something that is much nicer to ride and feels much smoother on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

For your type of cycling don't bother. Some of our lads in the club race (to a pretty high standard) on trek 1500's which are basically your frame with a better groupset and a few improved parts. Really though there is little in the difference in terms of speed for your type of riding.

I think you would be better off buying a good set of wheels than a whole new bike, unless you are going into racing or super audax long distance riding.

Of course if you just simply want a fancy bike and can afford it but are looking for justification, then forget about it, go out there and buy the bike already, some people spend their cash on drink, some on fake exhausts for their nissan micra "GTI" 's etc... if bikes are your poison, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    For your type of cycling don't bother. Some of our lads in the club race (to a pretty high standard) on trek 1500's which are basically your frame with a better groupset and a few improved parts. Really though there is little in the difference in terms of speed for your type of riding.

I think you would be better off buying a good set of wheels than a whole new bike, unless you are going into racing or super audax long distance riding.

Of course if you just simply want a fancy bike and can afford it but are looking for justification, then forget about it, go out there and buy the bike already, some people spend their cash on drink, some on fake exhausts for their nissan micra "GTI" 's etc... if bikes are your poison, go for it.

Thanks lads for the replies , Yeah Quigs Snr , think I'll stay with my Trek . I was just wondering if there would have been a dramatic difference in performance and judging by both replies I would probably not have noticed a huge difference . Incidentally , just 2 weeks ago I purchased 2 new Mavic wheels and the bike feels like a new bike anyway .........thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Which mavic wheels did you get? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

micmclo wrote: »
    Which mavic wheels did you get? :)

Mavic Aksium Race ?? Does that mean anything to you ? Bike dealer told me they were on special ,front and rear for 150 euro . Does that sound a decent deal to you ? Must say I find them excellent so far .........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Freddy687

I have to agree with the previous postings. Unless you are going to start racing or training for the W200, Etape, Sean kelly etc, then your bike is fine.
    That said:
    Will a new bike make you faster? Maybe.
    Will a new bike make hills easier? Maybe.
    Will a new bike bring a smile to your face on that first spin? Definitely, in a money well spent kind of way.

Also a new bike is a great excuse for new shoes, pedals, trip computer, bottles, the list just goes on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I have Aksium races, nice wheels, not the lightest out there but probably a step up from the standard Trek 1000 ones. 150 euro sounds about right.

Advertisement