Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

review of Omagh tapes ordered

Options
  • 17-09-2008 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭

gordon Brown has ordered a review of the tapes at the centre of the Panorama documentary the other night.

It seems pretty shocking that these were not brought to the attention of the police at the time and hopefully they will assist in the case being brought by the relatives of those killed.

I hope this iwll not be a white wash and that the truth comes out.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/foyle_and_west/7621084.stm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

gordon Brown has ordered a review of the tapes at the centre of the Panorama documentary the other night.

It seems pretty shocking that these were not brought to the attention of the police at the time and hopefully they will assist in the case being brought by the relatives of those killed.

Here Here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Agreed. Wouldn't hold my breath though. Omagh is another Dublin/Monaghan it would appear with securocrats having their fingerprints all over this operation. Only this time the securocrats are so good, and have infiltrated the rira so well that they got this 'so-called republican group' to do their dirty for them. All the relevant files/tapes etc for Dublin/Monaghan have disappeared without trace, what odds the Omagh stuff mysteriously 'disappears' aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Agreed. Wouldn't hold my breath though. Omagh is another Dublin/Monaghan it would appear with securocrats having their fingerprints all over this operation. Only this time the securocrats are so good, and have infiltrated the rira so well that they got this 'so-called republican group' to do their dirty for them. All the relevant files/tapes etc for Dublin/Monaghan have disappeared without trace, what odds the Omagh stuff mysteriously 'disappears' aswell?

are you saying the security forces did this, not the RIRA?

This is politics, not conspiracies.

are you saying the security forces did this, not the RIRA?

This is politics, not conspiracies.
    Fred with respect that is incredibly naieve of you. The Dublin/Monaghan bombing was organised by the Mi5, and the bomb planted by their allies in UVF Portadown division. This isn't conspiracy, this is FACT. mi5/securocrats are not beyond this kind of operation, only the most deluded would claim that to be the case.

Check out this discussion from another forum with some users who are very much in the know about this case: http://www.politics.ie/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=41044&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=2d6343724c05da7727b4e180acc015b7#p1356495

Second post in details a lot of the minutae of this case.

More and more apparent that Omagh was allowed to happen by the British Forces with the clear intent to kill as many civilians as possible.
    Omagh was videotaped and picked as a target by an MI5 agent (David rupert)
    The car supplied for use was acquired by another Garda agent who colluded with Mi5.
    MI5 placed a bugging device and were able to track the car within cms of its placement.
    And now we hear GCHQ and MI5 were watching and listening to live coverage of Omagh probably days beforehand.
    Yet the reason given for the loss of civilian life was that they couldn't where the car was parked (despite being one of only a few cars in the street, illegally parked and a dirty big tracking device beaming straight to Cheltenham.
    I have no doubt the blame for civilian deaths in Omagh should be placed at the doors of the State who deliberatley engineered the event to put the RIRA out of business. They believed it would be the bomb to end all bombs.
    Why wasn't this revealed during Sean hoey's trial?
    The British and their Irish hirelings in Phoenix Park having used Omagh for full propaganda purposes against Irish seperatists will soon wish to bury all mention of the bomb as more and more is revealed

I would also add that it highly unusual that no police members were injured whilst they herded civilians towards instead of away from this bomb.

Don't get me wrong the RIRA should take full responsibility for their actions and i condemn them unreservedly for the sickening atrocity that unfolded. Its important to recognise that there is more to OMAGH than meets the eye! Huge question marks surround the integrity of both mi5 and the ruc, even some garda collusion surrounding this case.

That second post must have had more information than was given in the programme. The programme gave plenty of instances where the phones could and should have been picked up. there was nothing to say they were.

In my opinion, it demonstrated how the security forces need to be lucky all the time, the terrorists only once. However, the fact that there was a lot of information not passed on to the investigating officers was either because GCHQ was hiding something or they were covering their cock up.

I also don't understand why the poster thinks that MI5/6 would happily kill a load of innocent people yet protect the average Bobby on the beat. There's too many holes in that sort of conspiracy, it is just excuses to cover people's own guilt.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The Dublin/Monaghan bombing was organised by the Mi5, and the bomb planted by their allies in UVF Portadown division. This isn't conspiracy, this is FACT.
    Do you have proof of this?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Do you have proof of this?

There was a car parked in O'connell street earlier in the day with British plates and a man on the Dublin - Holyhead ferry in what appeared to be a British Army uniform.

How much more proof do you want.

The Ulster Volunteer Force claimed responsibility for the bombings in 1993, following a TV documentary on the bombings that named the UVF as the perpetrators, and which alleged that elements of British Security Forces were involved in the attack.

On July 7 1993 Yorkshire Television's First Tuesday programme broadcast Hidden Hand: The Forgotten Massacre, a programme on the bombings in co-operation with a number of retired officers in An Garda Síochána. The programme claimed that the bombings were the work of the Ulster Volunteer Force. It named a number of UVF members whom it said had taken part in the bombings, and who had since been killed during the Troubles. However, 'Hidden hand' also claimed that loyalist paramilitaries were aided by British security force members. Forensic examination seemed to suggest that the Dublin bombs had been built with some sophistication. Garda officers claimed that the UVF had been assisted by elements in British intelligence. Subsequently, a number of questions were asked in the Dáil, about responsibility for the massacre.

The Irish government demanded that the British government hand over official documents relating to the bombings, that were denied to the Barron Inquiry. The Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, John Reid, delivered a 16 page letter, but refused to hand over original documentation, claiming security concerns, despite the passage of time. Barron observed, "Correspondence with the Northern Ireland Office undoubtedly produced some useful information; but its value was reduced by the reluctance to make original documents available and the refusal to supply other information on security grounds. While the Inquiry fully understands the position taken by the British Government on these matters, it must be said that the scope of this report is limited as a result." On February 16 2005 The Joint Committee on Justice, Equality, Defence and Women’s Rights recommended that the Irish Government bring a case before the European Court of Human Rights to force the UK Government to hold a public inquiry into the bombings. In June 2005 the Irish government threatened to bring the British government to the European Court of Justice, to force the release the files on the bombings.

It is acknowledged that, after 30 years, many witnesses, initial investigators and suspects are dead.

The dogs on the street know that the UVF planted this bomb, and they were aided by British Security Services in doing so, except you guys obviously. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

What I find very perplexing is why GCHQ have, it appears, not provided detailed information of any phonecalls and conversations including identification of the voices? What exactly is the point of the likes of GCHQ who were more than likely listening in on NI and the ROI and yet just do nothing of any great significance to help the Police? IMO some deal was done high up in the corridors of power as the future total ceasefire was the deal and nothing including the Omagh tragedy was going to be allowed to scuttle it. I may be completely wrong and perhaps GCHQ are answerable to no one and are not bothered with any democratic process let alone accountable to the law or the public at large.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    What I find very perplexing is why GCHQ have, it appears, not provided detailed information of any phonecalls and conversations including identification of the voices? What exactly is the point of the likes of GCHQ who were more than likely listening in on NI and the ROI and yet just do nothing of any great significance to help the Police? IMO some deal was done high up in the corridors of power as the future total ceasefire was the deal and nothing including the Omagh tragedy was going to be allowed to scuttle it. I may be completely wrong and perhaps GCHQ are answerable to no one and are not bothered with any democratic process let alone accountable to the law or the public at large.

that's what disturbs me, why was this information gathered and then sat on. If there was a plot by Military Intelligence then I'm sure they would have also had a better way of covering it up. To me it looks like someone has ****ed up and is being protected, probably to save their pension.

In mitigation, GCHQ collates a collosal amount of data and listens to things all over the world. Maybe with the peace process underway they took their eye off the ball.

• Advertisement

Garda officers claimed that the UVF had been assisted by elements in British intelligence. Subsequently, a number of questions were asked in the Dáil, about responsibility for the massacre

would these be the same Garda officers that completely ****ed up the investigation and lost a tonne of evidence? I suppose that was a British conspiracy as well.

Lots of claims, no proof. that doesn't excuse the lack of cooperation from the British government though, or the smug bastard attitude of the then NI minister.

would these be the same Garda officers that completely ****ed up the investigation and lost a tonne of evidence? I suppose that was a British conspiracy as well.

Lots of claims, no proof. that doesn't excuse the lack of cooperation from the British government though, or the smug bastard attitude of the then NI minister.

Approximately 70,000 seperate files relating to the Irish states biggest mass murder including all duplicates have been stolen from the department of justice alone in very recent times, not one remains. All files and duplicates in their entirety have been stolen from Garda Headquarters also during that same recent period. And it has since transpired that all files relating to the case and their duplicates have been stolen from Monaghan, Castleblaney and Dundalk Garda stations as well. No rogue garda stuck them up his jumper, this was a thorough clean out in the certain knowledge nobody was or is ever going to do anything about it.
    This is therefore blatant collusion at the highest level of the Irish state in the mass murder of Irish citizens by a foreign military intelligence agency.

The British government has placed their papers relating to the bombings under the 100 year rule, meaning they won't be released into the public domain for another 66 years. We'll be cold in the ground before the facts of this case come to light, and then it will obviously be far to late to convict anyone of wrongdoing.

The dogs on the street know that the UVF planted this bomb, and they were aided by British Security Services in doing so, except you guys obviously. :rolleyes:
    I guess that answers my question. Widespread belief; no proof.

You might want to upgrade your dictionary: its definition of FACT is a little wonky.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I guess that answers my question. Widespread belief; no proof.

You might want to upgrade your dictionary: its definition of FACT is a little wonky.

Now you're just being pedantic. I can hardly scan the files onto the forum. :rolleyes: All files relating to this atrocity (70,000 of them) have disappeared into thin air. This is a coverup of monumental proportions!

That's still a pretty loose definition of the word FACT, especially when it's in capitals.

Advertisement