Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Old Vs New model fiestas

Options
  • 17-09-2008 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I'm looking to buy a 2nd hand fiesta as a first car, the newer model preferably. Is it true that the old models are more reliable, less problems (before they changed in 2002)? Someone mentioned this to me a while back and not sure how true it is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

The older 1.25 is a much nicer car to drive than the current one, which really needs the 1.4 as it is quite big.

I don't know about reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

as said before the older one, i think up to 2001 are nice to drive, comfy nippy and good steering, the newer [taller] model is absolute pants, my GF has one and its the most inanimate, soulless pc of sh*t i've ever driven in my life

For a first car you should just get a cheap low milage circa 99, 2000 one and see how it goes, there a solid little car

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

maidhc wrote: »
    The older 1.25 is a much nicer car to drive than the current one, which really needs the 1.4 as it is quite big.

I don't know about reliability.

I've driven old model 1.25, and new model 1.25 and 1.4. There's not a lot between any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The last of the old models sold in 2001/2002 were well equipped at the time for a supermini. Things like cd player and air conditioning. Downside is that that model was for the most the same basic car that went on sale back in 1989.

Granted some engines such as the 1.25 litre were added later in life along with revised handling and suspension but it really showed its age imo in the cabin which was a bit cramped and I found the driving position a bit too upright if you know what I mean.

The more modern newer model addressed these things but the 1.25 litre doesn't feel as nimble imo due to the added weight and size the Fiesta has put on.

Reliability wise, the old one was good, the new one is just as if not more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think that the better safety and comfort of the new model is worth losing some of the character and nippyness of the old model

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Whatever about the rest, the old models had a bit of individuality and character about them. The new ones just look like a mini-Focus

Still, I think the Mazda 121 "borrowed" heavily from the old design so it's not totally dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

Still, I think the Mazda 121 "borrowed" heavily from the old design so it's not totally dead.
    The 121 was discontinued in 2001, a year before the Fiesta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

I had a '99 1.25 zetec......sweetest li'l car i ever had, nippy and fun. if i was buying a first car again, I'd go with one of the 'Before They Broke It' vintage

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭richiepoorman

Susyblue wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy a 2nd hand fiesta as a first car, the newer model preferably. Is it true that the old models are more reliable, less problems (before they changed in 2002)? Someone mentioned this to me a while back and not sure how true it is?

I have a 99 Mk4 , 1.25 ghia with 97k on the clock, i bought it at 18 months old with 4k on the clock, so have done a fair amount of mileage since i bought it, it has been very reliable with no problems at all, apart from the usual comsumables, the car has been to and from the UK on numerous occasions and never let me down (even with the roads as they are over here).

The pre 2002 models up to the Mk5 were built in Dagenham, UK as was the Mazda 121, production then moved to Belgium (I Think), so maybe that has something to do with it !!!!!!!!
    Personnaly i think the Mk4's and Mk5's are better looking and generally very reliable.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭klaus23

Notch000 wrote: »
    For a first car you should just get a cheap low milage circa 99, 2000 one and see how it goes, there a solid little car

Agreed. All Fords of that vintage (think Mondeo, Puma, Ka) were brilliant handlers and are by now cheap as chips with a huge parts bin and can be easy to work on. I sold a 98 Fiesta with the old 1.3 pushrod Kent/Ford Anglia engine recently for €1300, they're not as refined or economical as the 16v 1.25 but with regular maintenance prove can very durable - this has to extend to adjusting the valve clearances so they don't clatter like a bag of cats.

The one I sold had a sunroof, PAS, driver airbag and a CD player so not short on spec for it's age. Hard to think of a better ten-year old starter car for the price really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I've a '98 for nearly 2 years now and it hasn't let me down. However I think my engine may be on the way out - it's the 1.3 pushrod, there's low compression in one of the cylinders and is sounding pretty rough now - it may have been neglected at some stage though (those engines don't take well to lack of oil changes). You're better off with the 1.25 in nearly every way anyway. High-spec Ghias (CD player, aircon etc.) aren't hard to find either.

Just some things to look out for:
    - Worn suspension bushes - look out for knocking or squeaking/creaking sounds when going over bumps etc. Had to get them replaced front and rear (and some other stuff) on mine this year, but the improvement was significant afterwards.
    - Rear shock mounts seem to be common failure too. Again there'll be creaking and or knocking noises (not exactly as bushes were gone too in my car).
    - Make sure the heater control works, as the control valve often breaks. About €50 for new one, though it's easy to replace.

Advertisement